Premier League plans play-off for last Champion League place

anyone have a link of the original post?

nvm, <a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/14/premier-league-play-off-champions-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ons-league</a>

A play-off to enter a qualifying round, sounds stupid, i don't get whats wrong with the current system. I still don't agree that in the lower divisions a team finishing sixth could potentially go up yet the 3rd placer possibly 10+ points ahead couldn't if they had a bad game at Wembley...

I said the following to my best mate in august (best mate is a rag,a proper passionate one but also a manchester lad that's followed the rags as long as I've followed city -since the mid seventies)......

" I will GUARANTEE you right now that if city are anywhere near knocking the thieving scouse scum out of the CL places the FA will devise some plan to get them in at OUR expense ".

I even suggested a play off format as it was obvious the scouse wouldn't finish too far below the top four.

There is no way on gods green earth the FA would allow a provincial north of england club to take the place of arse,Chelsea,yoonitid (worlds biggest and most global club TM) or the scouse (big in Norway and Round Europe).

Seems I was right. I know we could still win a play off but if we finish fourth why should we not get the benefit of the rules that were (are) in place at the beginning of the season.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but I've suspected ever since the "Arabs/Muslims" (as our esteemed owners are often referred to in the gutter press -islamophobia much??) took us over the FA would find a way to screw us over and this could be it.

DEFINATELY A NO NO FROM ME REF THE CARLING CUP WINNERS AND/OR FA CUP WINNERS.
MORE CHANCE THAT ONE OF THE TOP 4 WILL ALREADY HAVE WON ONE OF THESE TROPHIES,SO WHO TAKES THEIR PLACE,IF THEY HAVE ALREADY QUALIFIED BY BEING ONE OF THE TOP 3 TEAMS ??
NO GOOD SAYING THE RUNNERS UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oakiecokie said:
DEFINATELY A NO NO FROM ME REF THE CARLING CUP WINNERS AND/OR FA CUP WINNERS.
MORE CHANCE THAT ONE OF THE TOP 4 WILL ALREADY HAVE WON ONE OF THESE TROPHIES,SO WHO TAKES THEIR PLACE,IF THEY HAVE ALREADY QUALIFIED BY BEING ONE OF THE TOP 3 TEAMS ??
NO GOOD SAYING THE RUNNERS UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol

are you on cocaine?

ffs. they will try anything to stop city qualifying for the champions league. we better win it next year just to fuck them up.

also even my rag loving mates at work. yes i do have them and some of them are fine lads agree that should united ever finish 5th there will be a special invitation for former winners or more likely a war or manufactured earthquake on somewhere like say romania so that another team has to be invited in.

Not sure how I feel about this. Surely the point of Champions League is having the top teams from each country there, and surely the top teams of each country are the ones who have performed consistantly. This would make the illusive CL-spot less special....speaking purely from a City point of view, we might make the CL this year which would be amazing, or we might not and I'd be gutted but we'll have to try again - either way if and when we do make it it will be something absolutely special. This system would sort of take away from that feeling, no?

On a financial level. Another money spinning idea for the Likes of Sky/ESPN/Setanta/Virgin Media or maybe Top Up TV. Plus Additional funds for travelling fans to find in a cash strapped climate as well.
On a personal level. I see City as benefiting perfectly at the stage of development we are at, at present.4th place down to 7th sounds a doable prospect yearly, even now; and in fact is more realistic than breaking into the top 4 for us at the moment. IMO.
In a football sense, it sounds like it could add a real exciting buzz and climax to the premier league. A Quality 4 team knockout with I presume Wembley as the showcase. Sounds promising to me. Lets see how the proposal develops.

Complete farce if they do this and only considering it to protect thier beloved top 4 not missing out incase they finish 5th one year

A team finishes 4th on merit, over a long season.
Leave the tacky play offs for the championship etc (where it works by the way by keeping the season alive and crowds up), not the premiership.

How would a team feel if they finished 4th by some distance only to have a useless ref or linesman decision go against them in a play off.

It will also de-value Champions league further by having a 7th placed team in thier league potentially enter it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.