Premium bonds

I'd disagree there, I'm getting 4.6% return on my holding over the past 12 months, tax free obviously, so equivalent to over 5.5% in a easy access account, doubt you would find that very easily at a bank.

Different of course if you are prepared to lock the money away for a year or two, or take a risk on the stock market
It's been higher recently due to the high interest rates, but prize fund is now 4.4%, so similar to what you're getting, but it's an average, impacted by the larger prizes. As I mentioned, those rates have been less than inflation for the last year or so, so you've lost buying power.

As I said, a reasonable place for money you might need in the short term, as often better than bank rates, especially considering the tax, but not an investment and a bigger risk than the stock market over a longer term.

Still can't get my head around why people invest in these, unless they're just part of a wider portfolio

Chances are that the vast majority of people will lose money by investing in these over the stretch of 5-10 years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.