Premium bonds

Still can't get my head around why people invest in these, unless they're just part of a wider portfolio

Chances are that the vast majority of people will lose money by investing in these over the stretch of 5-10 years
When I first invested it was my self employed tax money that I didn't need for six months, then it became a "fun" investment
I have 10k invested and its now my emergency fund, if I ever need cash relatively quickly
When bank saving interest rates were at 1%, and if you were cash rich, you may as well have dumped 10k in and treated it like you would the lottery
If I won £100 in a year, that was break even. If I won nothing, it was the equivalent of £2 a week, less than the cost of a Euromillions ticket
I won £500 this month, which is the equivalent of a 5% return, the same as my two year cash isa

When I first invested it was my self employed tax money that I didn't need for six months, then it became a "fun" investment
I have 10k invested and its now my emergency fund, if I ever need cash relatively quickly
When bank saving interest rates were at 1%, and if you were cash rich, you may as well have dumped 10k in and treated it like you would the lottery
If I won £100 in a year, that was break even. If I won nothing, it was the equivalent of £2 a week, less than the cost of a Euromillions ticket
I won £500 this month, which is the equivalent of a 5% return, the same as my two year cash isa
Money loses value over time, so if you're not beating inflation with your winnings, you're effectively losing money

I just think there are better low risk options where you're likely to see a better return

Current CPI is 3.4% so a 5% return on premium bonds is beating inflation.
'Current', by then youre playing catch up

If you're getting a 5% return every year then fair enough, but that's not likely with premium bonds

Current average return on bonds is 4.4%, but some will end up with more and most will end up with less

'Current', by then youre playing catch up

If you're getting a 5% return every year then fair enough, but that's not likely with premium bonds

Current average return on bonds is 4.4%, but some will end up with more and most will end up with less
You are quite right of course but
On a total of £9600 worth of premium bonds my winnings this year have been
J £100
F £150
M £50
A £50
M £150
Total £500

Great fun.

Don’t think I’ll cash in my 55 year old £1 premium bond just yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.