Prepare to Meet Thy Doom!

TGR

Does anyone remember the Jehova's wittness who used to stand outside the turnstiles of the Kippax Street stand wearing a sandwich board which proclaimed 'Prepare to Meet thy Doom!' and a bowler hat in the late 60's and early 70's? I remember he once said that Colin Bell 'was a sinner' and it nearly kicked off!

I remember a load of Harikrishnas walking down the road near the Sherwood one match. Bright sunny day and this guy stuck his head out of the van he was in and yelled, 'the puffs are coming, slag em off!'. Everyone was like, 'what the fuck is he on?!', then the Hari's appeared!

I remember the guy, but not the religion as I ignored him other than shouting the odd sarcy comment like most others. I believe he used to alternate and do the swamp as well. I think his beef was with football fans rather than any club

TGR said:
Does anyone remember the Jehova's wittness who used to stand outside the turnstiles of the Kippax Street stand wearing a sandwich board which proclaimed 'Prepare to Meet thy Doom!' and a bowler hat in the late 60's and early 70's? I remember he once said that Colin Bell 'was a sinner' and it nearly kicked off!

Someone on here knows him, Mr Pennington from Partington, teacher I think. I remember him but can't actually remember what his sign said. "Jesus Saves" or "The End is nigh" or words to that effect.

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:
I remember the guy, but not the religion as I ignored him other than shouting the odd sarcy comment like most others. I believe he used to alternate and do the swamp as well. I think his beef was with football fans rather than any club

His beef was with "sinners" of any description, he wasn't a Jehovah's Witness, he was some sort of evangelical christian. A harmless enough character, part of the furniture almost at Maine Rd from the 60s through to the 80s. His missus used to turn up sometimes as well IIRC.

Hamann Pineapple said:
TGR said:

Someone on here knows him, Mr Pennington from Partington, teacher I think. I remember him but can't actually remember what his sign said. "Jesus Saves" or "The End is nigh" or words to that effect.

...you've got it. Jesus Pennington, we used to call him. He was from one of the farming families in dunham. he drove round in an old converted ambulance with some load of tosh painted all over it. He used to undertake a kind of christeneing/cleansing/dunking of religious wierdo types in the river bollin - just downstream from the sewerage farm!! His nephew used to drive an F1 stock car - paul pennington, I think it was...

He is immortalised.

There is an infamous documentary called "Hooligan" made in the mid 80s. The filmmaker follows West Ham's ICF around the country, right at the peak of the organised violence scene.

At the end of the documentary the ICF go up to Old Trafford for a cup match and it is kicking off all day. There's a climactic scene after the game where hundreds of ICF are clashing with hundreds on Man United's boys. Right in the middle of this major kick off, stands that man, holding his ground and shouting "Sinners, repent, the end of the world is nigh". IT's quite amazing stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.