Prison Doc CH4

The general public are somehow reassured that prison is an entity that both punishes and sooths, for victims and offender. It is none of those things and it is a beast all of its own dynamic. Ask any prison officer and they will tell you that they lost all control and authority years ago with the austerity measures. All jails run on the goodwill of the inmates not to cause any significant upset, let alone riot. The state does not manage or operate offenders in prison in the way that those who hope to see people locked do. They are winging it and no more
We’re all winging it really. Family, friendship, love and barrels of tits are so important. And much of that is free. As a bunch of humans, stick to being nice and not lazy.

On a separate note. I watched the 1st episode & the main warden who was involved was called John Matthews. I believe he is now a football league referee. Having watched what he has to put up with at work it must be a doddle to handle a football match after his daily job.

I'm gonna have to stop drinking.. I thought the thread title referred to a prison doctor from a Chester postcode

Yet when you go on social media people just waffle on about how easy it is inside, looks anything but!

It looks fuckin horrendous. I think for a small percentage it serves the purpose of being that bad youd never commit another crime.
For the vast majority though prison is a complete wasted exercise and theyll still come out degenerate drug addicts or habitual criminals and will be in and out for the rest of there lives.
System needs a radical change but no party dare do it because too many people are of the ‘lock em up’ thought process without seeing the bigger picture.

The general public are somehow reassured that prison is an entity that both punishes and sooths, for victims and offender. It is none of those things and it is a beast all of its own dynamic. Ask any prison officer and they will tell you that they lost all control and authority years ago with the austerity measures. All jails run on the goodwill of the inmates not to cause any significant upset, let alone riot. The state does not manage or operate offenders in prison in the way that those who hope to see people locked do. They are winging it and no more
I was doing a big project for the Ministry of Justice in 2010 and got invited to a big meeting with Ken Clarke, the incoming Justice Secretary. I got talking to a senior Prison Officers Association official and he was saying that rehabilitation for people serving 6 months or less is a complete waste of time. I don't imagine it's got much better since then.

The problem in this country is that we do many things in a silo-based manner, in isolation from associated actions that could and would make a difference. We need to look at things on a much more holistic basis. Instead we wash our hands of it and outsource it to companies who only have a financial interest in a small part of the process.

It looks fuckin horrendous. I think for a small percentage it serves the purpose of being that bad youd never commit another crime.
For the vast majority though prison is a complete wasted exercise and theyll still come out degenerate drug addicts or habitual criminals and will be in and out for the rest of there lives.
System needs a radical change but no party dare do it because too many people are of the ‘lock em up’ thought process without seeing the bigger picture.

Yep it is just like a conveyor belt at the airport with the same people going round and round. Need to give people a purpose in life otherwise they will just keep reoffending. Wonder if the army could look to recruit some from inside and put them on a training course whilst in prison with the aim of preparing them for basic training. And the men that are blatantly running the drugs business on the wings need putting in seg for weeks at a time, they are ruining peoples chances of ever changing the brazen fucks.

Wonder if the army could look to recruit some from inside and put them on a training course whilst in prison with the aim of preparing them for basic training.

The Army don't need to 'recruit' wasters,they have plenty enough applications to choose those that are willing and able.

Serious offenders (i.e murderers, child molesterers, terrorists etc): locked up in a remote steel box of a prison, you cant rehabilitate a paedo.

But that punishment is pointless for someone whos crime is basically drug addiction. Rehabilitate them off the drugs and the requirement to steel wont be there.

Other crimes like dangerous driving , fraud, tax evasion, get them tagged and out in the day picking litter, filling pot holes etc. I dont mean pointless community service like sorting clothes in an oxfam, but community service that really benefits the community.

I realise the above sounds very simplistic but hopefully makes sense what im getting at.

Locking up a smack head for 6 weeks in a place where drugs is readily available and sending him back out after 6 weeks, still a smack head, is a complete waste of money and time

Too many cut backs and lack of investment in the service has led to chronic ill-discipline and made a lot of places unsafe to work in

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.