Problem on Vista

I don't mind Vista, but I used to have XP running on a PC with 256MB of RAM so anything's better than that.

The only problem I've had with Vista, and a mate of mine too, is a message saying that the COM surrogate program has stopped working. This usually happens when browsing folders containing audio and movie files. I know how to get rid of the problem short-term, but not got a 100% fix for it. It's annoying more than anything else, but I'm a patient soul.

Joycee Banercheck said:
I don't mind Vista, but I used to have XP running on a PC with 256MB of RAM so anything's better than that.

The only problem I've had with Vista, and a mate of mine too, is a message saying that the COM surrogate program has stopped working. This usually happens when browsing folders containing audio and movie files. I know how to get rid of the problem short-term, but not got a 100% fix for it. It's annoying more than anything else, but I'm a patient soul.

This is pretty much my problem, how did you fix it short-term?

bluemoon05 said:
Joycee Banercheck said:

This is pretty much my problem, how did you fix it short-term?
My guess is with a hammer.

Got it sorted now anyway

Good to hear it. Should you experience it again it could be down to a number of things. Websites I've had a look at to sort it out lead me to believe that the problem could stem from Nero burning software (I've got Nero 7 Essentials) or even codecs downloaded to watch AVI on WMP.

I did the following:

Start Menu
Right-Click 'Computer' and select Properties
Click on 'Settings'
Click on 'Advanced' Tab
Click 'Settings'
Select "Data Execution Protection' tab and click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"
Click on "Add"
Browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe
Click "Open" and then "OK"

That stopped the error appearing. However, when I went to burn a DVD on Nero it wouldn't allow me to add video files, so I reveresed the steps above and it burned fine. It's a bit of a hassle, but I just carry out the instructions when I start to get the error and then undo it when I burn.

There's also an instalation of codecs for Vista available here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Vista_Codec_Package/1159994557/1
I haven't installed them yet, but will do when I've got time to do so and will report if it fixes the problem permanently.

Increase the peace!!!

Ric said:
Luckily bluemoon05, there's an easy solution to this. Simply open your CD/DVD drive, insert a copy of Windows XP, and run the installer. Vista is fucking awful.

I've got vista on my new laptop and not had a problem with it... yet![/quote]

Same here, works fine! Better than XP.

I've had a Vista machine since it came out 18 months ago.... absolutely no probs whatsoever.

I don't understand all the Vista bashing meself.

Miles better than any OS i've ever used before.

Dave H said:
I've had a Vista machine since it came out 18 months ago.... absolutely no probs whatsoever.

I think the Anti-Vista brigade are the ones with the dodgy copies and hardware that can't cope with it. I love it and would never go back to XP.

BTâ„¢ said:
Dave H said:

I think the Anti-Vista brigade are the ones with the dodgy copies and hardware that can't cope with it. I love it and would never go back to XP.

I bought a brand new laptop with Vista on it and I found it to be absolute wank. It wasn't compatible with most of my old software and used more RAM than a gay Welshman. It certainly wasn't a dodgy copy. There was a waiting list at the computer shop to replace it with XP. Not had a problem since I installed XP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.