Problem with BT homehub and laptop,please help !

In my last flat we had bt and found the homehub wireless connection to be really really shit, in the end we decided to use a wired connection instead.

poh said:
MaineDAWG2008 said:
ignore my previous post.

ok do us a fava

speedtest.net

check out your speed from ya laptop.....

let me know what your speed results are?

Speed test results. 1.ping-151ms
2.download-1.47mbs
3.upload-0.37mbs
pc has a wireless adapter and laptop has build in wireless.

Edit....just discovered that the speed test was run from an exchange in derry,i live in belfast ! so these results might not be quite on the mark.

your download of 1.47mbs - pretty poor unless u have a 1meg service with em :)

try connecting ya laptop to ya hub via an ethernet cable. see if there are changes. if not... then your connection needs to be looked at (call your ISP)

Had out IT man in this afternoon and, just in passing, he remarked that the net is a bit slower because, if the weather is lousy, then all the schoolkids who are on holiday immediately get on-line. Must admit I do notice a slight difference on normal days between morning which is usually pretty fast and afternoons which are marginally slower and I was told this is because that's when N & S America are coming on-line.

I have an independent provider so get quite a quick service but my daughter has BT homehub and her's is a lot slower - apparently because she is about as far away from the exchange as you can get. Apparently the nearer you are to your local telephone exchange the better speed you are likely to get.

refmum said:
Had out IT man in this afternoon and, just in passing, he remarked that the net is a bit slower because, if the weather is lousy, then all the schoolkids who are on holiday immediately get on-line. Must admit I do notice a slight difference on normal days between morning which is usually pretty fast and afternoons which are marginally slower and I was told this is because that's when N & S America are coming on-line.

I have an independent provider so get quite a quick service but my daughter has BT homehub and her's is a lot slower - apparently because she is about as far away from the exchange as you can get. Apparently the nearer you are to your local telephone exchange the better speed you are likely to get.

yep totally agree. If you dont live near an exchange you wont get the full download service u have subscribed to. i had this problem too with BT before i opted for virgin media.

since, my connection with virgin has always been stable (touch wood) - but their customer service sucks!

MaineDAWG2008 said:
poh said:
Speed test results. 1.ping-151ms
2.download-1.47mbs
3.upload-0.37mbs
pc has a wireless adapter and laptop has build in wireless.

Edit....just discovered that the speed test was run from an exchange in derry,i live in belfast ! so these results might not be quite on the mark.

your download of 1.47mbs - pretty poor unless u have a 1meg service with em :)

try connecting ya laptop to ya hub via an ethernet cable. see if there are changes. if not... then your connection needs to be looked at (call your ISP)

I'll try that,my local exchange is only about six miles away,so that should not be the problem,if it is i'am screwed ! Thanks to everybody for all your help.

try changing the channel on the wireless router, this can avoid any unwanted interference.... to be fair BT homehubs are known for being pretty rubbish routers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.