Progressive Rock

I like Big Generator plenty enough but that doesn't mean it isn't a some way of the peak that 90125 was. Shoot High is up there though.

Then again, I dont' have the downer on Yes' more recent output that most do. Naturally it is a long way off their glory days but it doesn't offend my years. I'm unlikely to go and see them live though without Mr Anderson. Shame ARW didn't make a studio album. I've been a fan of Rabin's since his first solo album.
I have a downer on the recent output having invested an unhealthy amount of emotion into one band.
I fail to see adulation for Shoot high but that’s different tastes.
I agree would have loved a ARW studio album and got no desire to see Yes live again.
I will always hold a grudge the way they disposed of Oliver Wakeman and continued after Chris Squires.

Last edited:
Your first sentence sums up my ‘problem’ with them exactly. It’s just something about the whiny, quivering timbre of it that grates quite quickly for me.
I’ve really really wanted to like them post Fish, and boy have I tried, not least because I love Rothery’s guitar playing. I’ve learnt to enjoy certain individual tracks, or parts of them, but still really struggle to manage a full album.
By contrast, their first 4 albums I love to bits in their totality.
That quiver in his voice seems a lot more pronounced now. Just going back over some of the early Hogarth era - because I've probably only ever listened to it once or twice - and his voice is quite good, it reminds me of someone else at times, Lou Gramm (Foreigner) I think but with less power. The album Brave from 1994 is quite good, they got their act together a bit by then and that was really the start of the new Marillion, but I'm risking Season's End for the first time in 33 years at the moment. Still feels wrong.

What do you hear currently? My favorites this spring are

Isobar - Isobar ii
Giant Hedgehog - Im Siel

Two fantastic pieces of music.

I like Big Generator plenty enough but that doesn't mean it isn't a some way of the peak that 90125 was. Shoot High is up there though.

Then again, I dont' have the downer on Yes' more recent output that most do. Naturally it is a long way off their glory days but it doesn't offend my years. I'm unlikely to go and see them live though without Mr Anderson. Shame ARW didn't make a studio album. I've been a fan of Rabin's since his first solo album.
Agree and Holy Lambs not a bad track either.

Reactions: OB1
Your first sentence sums up my ‘problem’ with them exactly. It’s just something about the whiny, quivering timbre of it that grates quite quickly for me.
I’ve really really wanted to like them post Fish, and boy have I tried, not least because I love Rothery’s guitar playing. I’ve learnt to enjoy certain individual tracks, or parts of them, but still really struggle to manage a full album.
By contrast, their first 4 albums I love to bits in their totality.
Likewise, I tried but it just wasn't there. So middle of the road......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.