Pub Crawls - Do they still happen?

Not sure people do pubs anymore - full stop.
I think a combination of the recession,cheap alcohol in supermarkets,cheap drugs and bitterly cold weather have conspired against the traditional pub night out recently.
Folk just don't want to go out and freeze their tits off and pay three quid a pint or more,when they can get a case of ale for six quid and stay at home with a loved one.
Or even the wife.
Other than the usual exceptions of Christmas Eve and New Years Eve,I found both Didsbury and city centre Manchester to be noticeably quieter than usual,especially the northern quarter.
Myself and mates regularly used to pick some unsuspecting random town or village and try every hostelry,but haven't done so for a couple of years now,probably because we are all old and have kids and are kept on a tighter leash than when we were younger.

For some reason me and my mates only go on crawls these days when there is a theme involved.
We did a 12 Pubs of Christmas crawl last week and every six months we have a half-marathon (26 pubs, half pint in each, then end up staying in the last one).

Like Nijinskys Fetlocks says we are all kept on a tighter leash these days so wives and girlfriends give my mates grief unless they come up with a title for their boozing and make it official.

According to HM Government's guidelines "Pubcrawls are still acceptable as long as one doesn't have more than 0.1 unit of alcohol in each drinking establishment and no more than 0.8 units in total. There should also be a meal with each one containing, at least, one of the 5 a day fruit/vegs".

Dont think they do as some have said you would prob need a taxi to do them these days unless they are in the centre.
Always remember my very first pub crawl when I was sixteen. Started off in the Hat and Feathers in Mason street ancoats, then down to the Cheshiire Cheese on Oldham Road and then to the Boardroom off Portland street. Pissed as a fart and we would always finish off with one of Louis the Grass famous hot dogs.

Town i live in we used to start at one end and finish the other but a pub right in the middle got tookover, done up and it pretty much runs the show now. Great food and they do cocktails and stuff and on friday's it's practically a club so nowadays we start somewhere and end up in there.

Used to (and think they still do) organise an 'ale trail' during the 'food and drink festivals' in Stockport and the villages around, they put on a £1 mini-bus. They do a pint in each of the 14 campus bars at uni, but they're not allowed to encourage it.

I love them, why would anyone want to stay in one place, when you could go to 10 in one night? Unfotunately too few share my philosophy on life.

There used to be a few crawls we used to do, but as said a few have shut down and getting a taxi takes part of the fun,
We used to do a Saturday avvo in the good old days of the 3pm licensing hours, Sacha's and 101 bar etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.