Public Transport

The operators are given long contracts to run the service. They don’t get a phone call from Andy Burnhan telling them to make a balls of running it. Similarly, Amey, who have the contract to manage the stock don’t get told how to do it.
The failure of the tram system was inevitable once it was designed ‘on road’ and, as usual with UK infrastructure, it was done on the cheap.
Finally, unlike TFL, the Manchester Metro attracts no government subsidy meaning modernisation and upgrades are done in a piecemeal fashion.
Therefore the obvious answer is to stop all the new projects. If it isn't working at the moment, adding 2-3 more routes won't make it work better.

I looked at tickets to go to London in November two weeks ago £77 return, cheapest now £150-£180! For the same trip, so guess what me and my mate will drive down, says it all really will cost us about £60-70 in fuel.
I used to go to London for work meetings a few times a month a few years ago and thank god I wasn't paying for the tickets. I used to get on the 6-30am in order to be able to catch the tube from Euston and be at work around 9am so driving was never an option. Personally if I was going for pleasure I'd take the train every time and try to book as early as possible avoiding peak hours and prices. It's a long time since I drove to London and the endless traffic, road charging zones, difficulty parking etc etc put me right off now. Euston coming back in the evening is a nightmare with everybody and his dog tryind to get on overcrowded trains though until 19:00 when it calms down.

Just bought a return journey to Newcastle for 2 persons £98 all in, OK I used a railcard but I don't think that's bad value at all.

We bought return tickets to Market Harborough from Manchester. It was a 3 day visit and a September trip, with tickets bought in July. 90 quid for the 2 of us,which I thought reasonable.
However, my cousin lives in Market Harborough and travels into London, for work, about twice a week and his costs are over 200 quid. Absolute madness.

My partner lives near Ludlow and the train is about £55 for a return. This drops to approx £37 with an FOC railcard, and the bus to town and to her village from Ludlow are free for FOCs.
The current price of petrol means it would cost £25 for the round trip and would be slightly quicker due to the time taken to get from home to Piccadilly. If two or more are travelling it makes no sense to use the train unless it's to London where driving and parking can be a nightmare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.