Qatar World Cup stadiums

Stunning designs. However, I'm not sure a load of new stadia are what Africa really needs urgently right now.

It's not just a matter of air-conditioning the stadiums though. The World Cup experience is so much more than just spending 90 mins inside a football ground.

I've lived in this part of the world for 6 years now and the summers continue to knock the stuffing out of me. That's the reason the populations of these Gulf states fall massively during the summer; everyone heads off elsewhere because it's simply unbearable.

Anyone actually choosing to visit these places during the summer is a lunatic, and if this World Cup does go ahead in June then I certainly can't see it being an amazing holiday. It'll be four weeks of going from an air-conditioned hotel room to an air-conditioned shopping centre to an air-conditioned hotel bar to an air-conditioned football stadium and back to your air-conditioned hotel room, all punctuated by uncontrollable sweats each time you venture outside for 5 minutes to wait for an air-conditioned taxi. Doesn't sound like an amazing holiday to me.

ChicagoBlue said:
In the desert SW of the US, lots of restaurants have a fine spray mist that they spray outside on the edge of their outside seating areas. The heat evaporates the fine spray and it drops the temperature dramatically. Not sure if it could be scaled up to the size of a 45,000 seater stadium, but if they had these spraying out of the roof areas that are open, it could well do some good at the surface.

Any of your engineers out there know if this low-tech solution is feasible on this scale?

rest_bar_misting.jpg

Its pretty simple really, these Water Misting systems are used in this country for fire suppression.

There are a number of ways to achieve this mist, but ultimately water is being forced at high pressure through specially designed discharge nozzles.

The pressure could come from contained gas, although the storage requirements would make this a non-starter. More likely would be a series of large compressors linked to water storage tanks and dedicated discharge pipework around the stadium.

I work with systems like this (fire suppression) and the design involved in misting a complete stadium is mind-blowing, but it is very feasable, and there is no reason to say that a system like this couldn't reduce the temperatures within the stadium to safe levels.

Still a ridiculous place to hold a World Cup, though.

Don't be fooled by the PR nonsense designed to make us forget that holding a World Cup here is barmy! Nice pictures and mocked-up stadia don't alter the fact that the whole selection process was, in all probability, as bent as a corkscrew.

lafitz2008 said:
In the Gulf said:
I live in Qatar - they'll certainly be able to pull off these ambitious designs. Strikes me none of the stadiums shown are big enough to host final though. I think there's another one planned for a small city called Lusail (which they have only just started building at the end of my road). That's supposed to be a 90 thousand seater.

As well as all these grounds, this tiny country is also just starting out on building three brand new railway networks and a massive road building project. All these trains and roads will lead to the new stadiums - until of course they dismantle the stadiums and send them to poor African countries. Then we'll have a state of the art transport network that goes precisely nowhere.

And as for playing the tournament in the summer - forget it. Here we are in the middle of September and it was 43c this afternoon. It's still 32c now and it's 11pm. In June it hits 50c...anyone for extra time and penalties???

I'm not an environmentalist or anything but would love to know what the carbon footprint is of building all these stadia for one tournament then tearing them down shipping them to Africa then rebuilding them over there .
The you've got all the trains and roadworks you've mentioned that will be useless afterwards and no doubt will be pulled up as well.
Awarding Qatar the World Cup must be one of the most ludicrous decisions ever made in sport.

This crazy corrupt decision actually repulses me. There are infinite more places around the world that need the greatest tournament on Earth more than this obsenely ostentatious hot plate of a country

Since I don't post very often I can't start new threads, so I'll post this here.

Even though I'm from the USA, I understand England is the least likely to consider any sort of calendar change.

However, this was an interesting read from MLS about the discussions starting as 2022 approaches and the calendar dilemma that would go along with a winter World Cup, and how some league bosses are seeing the advantages to summer.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2013/01/30/europes-soccer-elite-edging-towards-mls-style-calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2013 ... e-calendar</a>

Is is conceivable some European leagues make a switch?

Just curious on any thoughts MCFC fans might have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.