QF 1st Leg Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can go back to the summer of poor recruitment, only Mahrez added and has he improved us, no not one iota. So we're basically playing with exactly the same squad as last season, but you have to keep strengthening to stay at the top. We're still three players short in this squad, a left back, defensive midfielder, and another striker. Hopefully we're a lot more proactive this summer, transfer ban permitting.

but that same squad is what 10 wins off a quadruple which is quite a remarkable thing on its own,not a lot broke and not a lot to fix realy

And that me friends was perfect. NoNmajor injuries. Sergio got minutes. Otamendi got game time. Delp also. We are in for a performance against Palace. Aguero to start and score 2 goals. Gundogan on bench. KDB to start. Mendy also.

I hope so cos we’ve been waiting a little while for a ‘proper’ City performance.

I don't think Pep did a whole lot wrong to be honest, regarding team selection and tactics. He had an eye on the Palace game, and the 2nd leg, and wanted to play his cards right with a view on those. Plus I don't think he wanted to make the same mistakes as were made against Liverpool last year, and went for a more pragmatic approach. I thought we were alright overall, but the penalty miss was costly, and a lapse at the back were decisive. If we got a draw, it would have been a decent away result.

I don't think Pep did a whole lot wrong to be honest, regarding team selection and tactics. He had an eye on the Palace game, and the 2nd leg, and wanted to play his cards right with a view on those. Plus I don't think he wanted to make the same mistakes as were made against Liverpool last year, and went for a more pragmatic approach. I thought we were alright overall, but the penalty miss was costly, and a lapse at the back were decisive. If we got a draw, it would have been a decent away result.
If if if
And yet we are in a very similar position to last year.

1-0 is a horrible scoreline to have to turn around at home in a second leg. Sure, on a good day we're capable of sticking 4 or 5 past spurs, but spurs aren't a shit team and we can't just assume we'll have it our own way. It's awful having to play out the last 10-15 mins if we only get 1-0 ahead. They nick one and you suddenly find yourself needing three. Unless we blow them out of the water in the first half it's going to be extremely nervy.
Whilst I agree, is it not better to play a weaker side in the first leg and lose 1 nil (or nil nil which would have a fairer reflection of the game) than play a stronger side win 1 nil with possible injuries to key players before Sunday and the second leg?

Pep has come here to win the Champions League. It’s our main aim. All the other trophies are great, but the Champions League is mainly why SM is in charge of our club.

If if if
And yet we are in a very similar position to last year.

Yeah, it's a fine line between success and failure. I still fancy our chances though, 1-0 is not as severe as 3-0, where we up against it from the off, and just one away goal was always going to kill us.

We know what was in his mind. His past caught up with us, and we paid the price for him losing his nerve.

No manager is perfect. I just hope we get away with it.

I would be very very embarrassed if I were him next time I appeared in front of the press. In a Champions League tie when you are the favourites and clearly the better side, you exploit that and do not cower before the game. Bottled it Pep. Good job you have a lot of credit in the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.