QF 1st Leg Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this gamble pays off like some of you believe it will. I am not sure if we really have been conserving energy or if we just aren't playing well atm. I don't believe that we will easily beat Spurs second leg all it takes is for a ref to fall for a dive or a fluky goal and we've shot ourselves in the foot by not chasing the away goal imo. Whatever happens I think we've made things harder for ourselves tonight.
Sergio is good from the spot but it's not his strength. He's a genius though. We now have to go chasing the game with Spurs ultra dangerous on the break. We'll have long spells at their end, but they'll have a few chances - no doubt about that.

We will need to score 3 next week to go through. We tend not to have too many problems scoring at home to them over the years should be ok

Actually think it is set up for a great 2nd leg and good game of football , if we had won 3-0 , it would have been a dead squib game with a three quarter full crowd , now we have a finely balanced game a full house and what will be a great atmosphere , and we do not have to be scared of these games now , because we invariably win the big games , can't wait for the return match and the potential heart attack , its the City way :)
I'd rather we'd won 3-0 tbh

I think in these away games, an away goal is vital. Even if he decided to start with Mahrez (and I don't agree that he is any better at keeping the ball), he could have brought Sane on with 30 mins to go when we were on top but not looking dangerous. Same with KDB. I bet the Spurs full backs were happy when they saw our line-up.

Anyway lets see how the next 8 days pan out. Master stroke or mistake will be determined by those results I suppose.
I thought the longer the 2nd half went on the more Mahrez came into the game, he grew in confidence and put some good balls into the box. Agree to disagree mate.

Has is not occurred to anyone on here that Pep is trying to manage his squad. We are still competing in three competitions and are struggling with a number of injuries and players that are not fully match fit.

He is being to forced to wrap players in cotton wool just to get them to the end of the season.

I am absolutely certain that if e could pick his “best” eleven plus subs for every game he would but when we are playing every three days it simply isn’t possible.

Like most on here I wasn’t happy with the team he put out tonight but obviously he feels he can’t put too much on KDB,Mendy, Stones and Danilo. Then he lost Bernie at the last minute.

Losing 1-0 with a weakened line up against a very good Spurs side is not tragic. We have enough to beat them comfortably at home if our players are fit.

Just to prove I’m not a happy clapper I am completely mystified by Pep’s treatment of Sane and how he can continue to play Mahrez, who is a waste of money and needs to go. Sane is an enormous talent and he and Sterling should play together at every opportunity.

Have faith people.

I am pretty confident that everyone on this forum has considered that. Yet despite that, some(not all) decided it wasn't the right way to go

I would rather win the league personally,but will we ever have a better chance to win the cl than this season? Pep knows that game management is vital now and a slip up in the league is worse than this result tonight. I now think our chance of making the semis is about 50/50 given that spurs are better off now than before the game, and they have something to hold on to. Im not worried about us scoring/winning the home leg, its them scoring that might undo us. Of course, we are more than capable of winning it all, lets just hope that this is a loss we can afford and that it doesnt affect morale etc. Losing tonight is frustrating I know( if that was a league game it would have been so different) but we must have faith in those who got us this far to end the season in the right way, its still all to play for.....bring it on.

Here's how I saw it;

Saw the teamsheet, first thought, 'Pep's playing for a draw'.

As the game panned out and almost all play was contained within our half, albeit with us in possession, it reeked of it going to be a fuckup.

The wingers getting the ball, then playing it inside or backwards, was excruciating to watch, a bit like the game last Saturday.

We somehow get awarded a penalty.
Sergio's set up meant he was only going to kick it one way, which Lloris went, but to put no power behind the shot was indefensible, and made it an easy save to make.

Spurs to be fair, made a fist of it and had the only real shots on goal, although mainly half chances.

Pep appeared to be settling for a 0-0 draw, which makes you wonder why, with the firepower at his disposal.

Spurs looked tired at about 75 mins.
Now Pep, get KDB and Sane on. Take the game to them.

Then disaster. We've (well I have) always thought that our full back positions would be targetted by the big boys, and so it proved.

Son, getting that ball from the byline and coming inside for the dummy shot, with Delph then trying to block with his left leg, did for him.
Loads of space to then get the shot away, keeper no chance.

Still no subs? Pep, WTF is in your head?

The only thing I can think of is that he's happy with only a one goal deficit.

Clock ticks down, still no attempts on goal, 90 seconds left, double substitution.

What do you think it is Pep? A video game? What he was expecting them two to do in that time boggles the mind.

Home game to come will be the same as last year.
Gung Ho and Tally Ho boys.
All out for the win, getting hit on the counter attack via our full back positions and a couple of dodgy VAR decisions.

Goodnight Vienna
That's it for me then, I will be donating my ticket to the spring fund-raising event at my local hospice.

Has is not occurred to anyone on here that Pep is trying to manage his squad. We are still competing in three competitions and are struggling with a number of injuries and players that are not fully match fit.

He is being to forced to wrap players in cotton wool just to get them to the end of the season.

I am absolutely certain that if e could pick his “best” eleven plus subs for every game he would but when we are playing every three days it simply isn’t possible.

Like most on here I wasn’t happy with the team he put out tonight but obviously he feels he can’t put too much on KDB,Mendy, Stones and Danilo. Then he lost Bernie at the last minute.

Losing 1-0 with a weakened line up against a very good Spurs side is not tragic. We have enough to beat them comfortably at home if our players are fit.

Just to prove I’m not a happy clapper I am completely mystified by Pep’s treatment of Sane and how he can continue to play Mahrez, who is a waste of money and needs to go. Sane is an enormous talent and he and Sterling should play together at every opportunity.

Have faith people.
I agree, Pep will have a good reason for not risking Kevin. It will not be tactics - he's the Messi/Hazard of our team.

I know what minute the pen was!
Can you guarantee he would have scored?! NO
Did he do anything really the whole game? NO
Was his performance good? NO
So your argument is fruitless I'm afraid.

Not at all.
When we had Yaya he did pens for a reason.
I don't say a word against Sergio. Not at all.
I only say that I would send Ilkay to the spot, as I know how consistent he does penalties.

Ilkay's performance also has to do with the players around him.
Back 4 were shaky in passing all match.

I think many were in sheer panic mode and that has nothing to do with game management.
But ok, shite happens, I'm over it.
Not good enough tonight, upwards and onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.