QF Lge cup at Barnsley Dec 1981, any memories of that night

Didsbury Dave said:
Tbilisi said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Didn't we play Barnsley at home in the FA cup 5th round about 15-20 years ago? Won about 3-0?

Yes,2-0 I think,one of their fans,in his 50s,ran onto the pitch after the ball,pissed as a fart.
Was it 93, the game before we lost to spurs in the quarters? Beat qpr in the 4th round? I reckon that was it.

Thats right... Cracking day out from the IOM for that...Didnt davy White get one if not both?

Little bit of trouble in the north stand too. I rwmember a couple of bellends pitching up in United jackets on the wind up.

Here's the match details of the 1993 game, taken from the BM history section. Flitcroft played RB, I think.

F.A. Cup

Sat 13 February 1993.

Score: W 2-0

Attendance: 32809

1.AP Coton
2.P Reid
3.TM Phelan
4.F Simpson
5.K Curle
6.MC Vonk
7.D White
8.MN Sheron
9.NJ Quinn
10.GW Flitcroft
11.RW Holden

Goal - D White
Goal - D White

Sub on - AR Hill
Player subbed - P Reid

Don't remember much about the game. It was the last big Cup tie we won at home before Maine Road went all seater. (The next year, the last when we still had the old Kippax, we beat Chelsea in the League Cup and Leicester in the FA Cup at home, but those were lower key affairs with gates of around 17K and 22K respectively).

With a big Barnsley contingent, it was quite a raucous atmosphere. (Wasn't Mel Machin their manager, too?). The crowd of 33K looks a bit lower than I remember, but I suppose we have to take account of the old PJS 'creative attendance figures', along with some turnstile operators having their own fiddles, too.

I don't remember David White's goals at all, but I do have a vague recollection of Flitcroft having one disallowed at the North Stand end that would have made it 3-0 (unless I'm mixing it up with another game completely). Took our lads ages to realise it wasn't going to count.

As for the 1981/2 game, I was 12 years old at the time and it was a school night so I had no chance of getting there. I remember listening on the radio and being absolutely gutted.

I really thought that John Bond had sorted us out after the Allison second coming and break up of Book's fine side, so I expected the 1981 final defeat to be followed by more Wembley trips in swift order. The naivety of youth!

petrusha said:
Here's the match details of the 1993 game, taken from the BM history section. Flitcroft played RB, I think.

F.A. Cup

Sat 13 February 1993.

Score: W 2-0

Attendance: 32809

1.AP Coton
2.P Reid
3.TM Phelan
4.F Simpson
5.K Curle
6.MC Vonk
7.D White
8.MN Sheron
9.NJ Quinn
10.GW Flitcroft
11.RW Holden

Goal - D White
Goal - D White

Sub on - AR Hill
Player subbed - P Reid

Don't remember much about the game. It was the last big Cup tie we won at home before Maine Road went all seater. (The next year, the last when we still had the old Kippax, we beat Chelsea in the League Cup and Leicester in the FA Cup at home, but those were lower key affairs with gates of around 17K and 22K respectively).

With a big Barnsley contingent, it was quite a raucous atmosphere. (Wasn't Mel Machin their manager, too?). The crowd of 33K looks a bit lower than I remember, but I suppose we have to take account of the old PJS 'creative attendance figures', along with some turnstile operators having their own fiddles, too.

I don't remember David White's goals at all, but I do have a vague recollection of Flitcroft having one disallowed at the North Stand end that would have made it 3-0 (unless I'm mixing it up with another game completely). Took our lads ages to realise it wasn't going to count.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjEaOy-0Zg[/youtube]

Had us penned in after the game, remember the fencing being ripped down near the hotdog stand to get us out, got crushed by a horse just before the bridge as it kicked off

mcfcvideos said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjEaOy-0Zg[/youtube]

Cheers for the video. Glad to know I wasn't going mad with the disallowed Garry Flitcroft goal. Should have recalled that the crowd will have been lower because the Platt Lane was being rebuilt. The next round v Spurs, of course, was when that stand opened - I had a Kippax season ticket at that point, but went in the Platt Lane for the quarter final because that was where my first season ticket was as a kid, so my dad and I wanted to see what the new stand was like.

Anyway, the Barnsley game in the previous round looked like it was quite comfortable in the end, but there were one or two early scares. I see that, in addition to Machin, Barnsley also had Gerry Taggart in their line up and Wayne Biggins on the bench, while ex 5-1er Gary Fleming was also in their side. Do we have any connections with them this time round, apart from them being managed by Garry Flitcroft's brother?

Does anybody remember getting a coach from Didsbury and on the way out of the ground windows getting bricked? its all a blur to me now but remember my friend meeting future husband on the coach!!

pride in battle said:
Does anyone remember beating them in 2004 7-1, less than 20.000 there!
Ps I was there :)
<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/3655988.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 655988.stm</a>
Macken and Sibierski 2 each, Sir Joseph, SWP and a certain Willo Flood scored for us.
Lee Croft on the bench.
I was there too - that was when we thought we were good - trouble was, next game we came up against an Arsenal kids team who royally whooped us - a certain Mr Fabregas was playing that night....

Remember talking to Charile Williams outside the ground (Barnsley comedian & not one of the Kool Kats).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.