R.I.P Frank Worthington

Ah, Radcliffe Borough!!!

Used to live on Turks Rd. Dad played there for a few years in the early-mid 70s! Nice little ground, even though it runs uphill to the left of the dugout, IIRC!
Dugouts are on the other side now !
The club is doing well and on the up I'm happy to report...check them out
Frank playing at that time was a bit of a turning point in the clubs history

Dugouts are on the other side now !
The club is doing well and on the up I'm happy to report...check them out
Frank playing at that time was a bit of a turning point in the clubs history
That’s hard to do, and Stalybridge Celtic are usually the “go to” ground if City are playing on a Sunday when I’m over, because of where everyone lives now.

That said, it’d be nice to have a run out to Radcliffe and check out the old stomping grounds.

Glad to hear Borough are doing so well now! Did they ever fill in those big ponds behind the top goals? I used to go to Primary School over there!

We had a huge field, with a few ponds in it, behind the house on Turks Rd. I heard that field is now a HUGE new housing estate! Too bad, as it was our little “Swallows and Amazons” playground when we were kids!

I’ll definitely try to have a gander next time I can. Thanks for the update!

I was a ball boy at County the season he played. We’d hang round the corridors as the players arrived and Frank would turn up in cowboy boots, leather pants, full length leather jacket and a cowboy hat. Not sure Bill Williams could pull that look off

Frank was one of those maverick talents that England didn't really trust, but could do wonders with the ball at his feet, much like Stan Bowles, or (going further back) the great Len Shackleton.

I doubt he would fit in with the modern game, which couldn't accommodate his particular gifts. But you always felt he realised that life was a bit more than just football.

Where is his like today? (Perhaps Balotelli had something of Frank's quirkiness)

I played against Frank in a charity match at Maine road, he hardly moved but still scored a great goal, used to see him around town a lot too back in the day.
Great footballer and genuine nice guy

RIP Frank

That’s hard to do, and Stalybridge Celtic are usually the “go to” ground if City are playing on a Sunday when I’m over, because of where everyone lives now.

That said, it’d be nice to have a run out to Radcliffe and check out the old stomping grounds.

Glad to hear Borough are doing so well now! Did they ever fill in those big ponds behind the top goals? I used to go to Primary School over there!

We had a huge field, with a few ponds in it, behind the house on Turks Rd. I heard that field is now a HUGE new housing estate! Too bad, as it was our little “Swallows and Amazons” playground when we were kids!

I’ll definitely try to have a gander next time I can. Thanks for the update!
Ponds are still there, the Boro forwards dont find them as much with their efforts on goal these days I'm glad to say !
Good day out to be fair and lots of blues attending when City arnt playing so I can recommend a visit
Cheers

I remember about 30 years ago Frank used to spend time on a Saturday at Phil Blacks designer clothes shop just off St. Ann's Square, telling stories about his time in the game. Always the gentleman, RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.