R.I.P Frank Worthington

In the early nineties Frank turned out for Radcliffe Borough to boost the gate for a short while to raise money to get players paid that hadn't been paid for some time,
Gate was normally around 200 but when he played those 6 or 7 times there was always above 700 on, and all he asked for was his expenses from is home in Huddersfield....around 50 quid !!
I will always appreciate him
RIP Frank... a true legend x

Mate of mine in my youth supported Huddersfield and loved Frank Worthington, took me to see him there once. Imagine him and Rodney Marsh playing together! Rest In Peace.
This morning i spoke to a five a side mate, a lifelong leicester fan..who hsdnt heard the news..he was gutted.

He explained that he and his brother ,if leicester werent playing,would travel to Leeds road to watch Frank play for Huddersfield.Frank became his hero at Leicester.

I was pretty impressed by this..and started waffling on about me going to see Darlington FC with a mate if City werent playing,partly to get the grounds in ..but i forgot to mention..that by far the best player i ever saw for Darlington back in the day was Franks nephew Gary Worthington..all close control and natural dribbling ability full of self confidence. ...late 80s lower league footy lit up by pure skill.

RIP. Top bloke. Great footballer.
I went to the Frank Worthington testimonial, CITY V Bolton at Burden Park. Keith Curle marked him for the hour or so that Frank played. At the time Keith was probably one of the fastest and most nimble defenders around, but Frank just took the piss out of him. Curle couldn't get near him. It was not because of pace, Frank never had any, it was just his class, his timing. Just a class act. RIP Frank.

In the early nineties Frank turned out for Radcliffe Borough to boost the gate for a short while to raise money to get players paid that hadn't been paid for some time,
Gate was normally around 200 but when he played those 6 or 7 times there was always above 700 on, and all he asked for was his expenses from is home in Huddersfield....around 50 quid !!
I will always appreciate him
RIP Frank... a true legend x
Ah, Radcliffe Borough!!!

Used to live on Turks Rd. Dad played there for a few years in the early-mid 70s! Nice little ground, even though it runs uphill to the left of the dugout, IIRC!

Frank Worthington was a baller, as they’d say today.

A character of that era, through and through. Twinkle in his eye, such that you were never sure what you were going to get, but you were going to be entertained!

R.I.P Frank,what a talent he was and like a lot of the flair players in the 70’s and 80’s seemed to play with a smile on their face and enjoyed the game even if they were on the losing side ..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.