R.I.P Gordon Banks

Bumped into him at Euston station a couple of years ago. His wife had been taken I’ll and he was trying to get home in a hurry. He had a pre booked ticket and Virgin Trains were fucking him over. He was really distressed. I travelled with him as far as Crewe - once he had waited an hour for his train!. He was a lovely humble man. I wrote to Virgin Trains that night to tell them how disgusted I was at the way they’d upset him. They promised to contact him and apologise- I’ve no idea if they did. Rest in peace you legend.

The bastard cost us a league title with an incredible display for Stoke at Maine Road in the 1971/2 season. Always in the right place at the right time and therefore rarely needed to make a flashy save, unlike Bonetti. And if Joe Mercer hadn't tried to be clever and drive down the price when he left Leicester, he'd have been playing for us instead.

Also a friend of mine who used to be part of our little travelling party to away games lost an eye in an accident and Gordon got in touch with him. A class act all round. RIP.

Great keeper, I still think he cost us the title in 71/72 with his performance for Stoke at Maine Rd, he made some excellent saves, one double save from Frannie Lee was quite incredible.

Always came across as a decent man, a shame that his career was cut short by the eye injury.

RIP

Edit - beat me to it PB!

I too was at that 71/72 game, shame his career was blighted by that car crash.

RIP Gordon, the only English WC winning keeper i think I'll ever see play in my lifetime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.