R.I.P Gordon Banks

Great keeper, I still think he cost us the title in 71/72 with his performance for Stoke at Maine Rd, he made some excellent saves, one double save from Frannie Lee was quite incredible.

Always came across as a decent man, a shame that his career was cut short by the eye injury.

RIP

Edit - beat me to it PB!

Yes. Remember it all too well. A truly great keeper - and, unfortunately for us, he was outstanding that day - and a sad loss.

Met him a couple of times and he was polite, attentive and an all round lovely bloke.

One of our greatest ever keepers, known for "that" save, and sure there have been better ones but taken in context, World Cup, Pele etc etc it's one of the best ever.

R.I.P Mr B.

The bastard cost us a league title with an incredible display for Stoke at Maine Road in the 1971/2 season. Always in the right place at the right time and therefore rarely needed to make a flashy save, unlike Bonetti. And if Joe Mercer hadn't tried to be clever and drive down the price when he left Leicester, he'd have been playing for us instead.

Also a friend of mine who used to be part of our little travelling party to away games lost an eye in an accident and Gordon got in touch with him. A class act all round. RIP.

I remember that game well, over the Easter period I think. It was a wet day if I am remembering rightly and we absolutely battered Stoke but lost 1-2 and that was all down to Banks who made save after save. One of the best goalkeeping displays I have seen.

He always came across as a humble man, a true legend. If he had played in the 1970 quarter final against Germany in Mexico England would possibly have gone on to win another world cup.

A true legend. That Stoke match in 72 was the best I have seen by an opposing keeper (along with Pat Jennings in that League Cup match in the 70s for Arsenal). He was a great keeper who had incredible positional sense. He used to catch shots other keepers had to make spectacular dives for. RIP

I think Mercer & Allison tried to sign him prior to him joining Stoke. Sure I read it in Gary James, Mercer book, if I'm not mistaken. (?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.