Racism in Football

Racism in football (or anywhere) is like a hydra's head. You can point out how awful it is and punish the offenders by slicing off the head, but if that's all you do then they'll only come back double in number. You have to address this at its core.

And like Pep has said, it needs to happen in schools. Kids need to be taught from a young age. Not JUST that racism's (or some similar prejudice) bad. But also that the people perceived as different are actually the same. That they're humans. That they have feelings. That racism is deeply damaging to their wellbeing.

I think we can do with leading by example. I see a lot of us v them in the world, these boards included. If we think of people as being different then we're at risk of treating them as different, and sometimes that means as beneath us. And the scary part is that can be unintentional.
And sometimes it's worth noting that even though WE know we don't mean ill by our comments, it's very easy for less informed people (mainly young people) to misinterpret the language at face value and it CAN lead to reinforcing/encouraging negative stereotypes. That's part of why comedians for example get such shit, because their offensive jokes can be misinterpreted as being factual (of course whether it's ok to do so is another topic)

It's a two way street of course. Screaming that something isn't PC won't help. "Offenders" are humans too, and they deserve the education anyone else gets.

Just another thought on Racism in Football. Lets just make sure that there was racist behaviour before we all pile in and condemn all football fans. I will state first that racism is wrong but because of one alleged act of racism, together with a few idiots throwing coins/lighters, 4,000 Blues can no longer go to a Derby. A total knee jerk reaction to a situation that has been built up by the media and that is exactly what they are doing now with Spurs. One week on and no one scrap of evidence to back up the claim.
Arrest any racist, jail him if necessary, certainly ban him/her from all football grounds for life but please Blues, be very careful, the powers that be will use you and whip you into an angry frenzy to get what they want and as we saw at Hillsborough, they are not that arsed if what they want is not the same as what ordinary fans want.

I'm concerned it could be used by a team to gain an advantage.

My cynical mind thinks at least 2 clubs would consider using it to gain an advantage if they were being battered on the pitch.

sadly football or any sport that the public buy tickets to watch will have nutters and its life ??? forget ever trying to change people and there views because we live in a world of hate
all we are saying is give peace a chance JOHN LENNON 1969 and its 2019 and people's hate is still happening

being a racist is a BIG WORD to be label with ? so lets get it right first ? if you are sat in a stadium next to somebody using foul and racist language and do nothing then your just as bad as the RACIST for doing nothing about it, forget fear of speaking out and getting involved JUST STOP IT just get up and be asked to be moved by a steward or a police officer they will ask why

sadly what skysports or people want is players to walk off WHY ??? you are hurting the people and labeling everybody the same if you walk off, what the players should do is just walk up to the steward and point the person/persons out making the chants and get them removed from the ground ?? never walk away just face them up and let the people that are getting paid to police the game do there job

you know when Salah joined the scoursers their islamophobia went down, I think London teams need to play an all-black starting 11. Some people might call me a mad man.

I'm concerned it could be used by a team to gain an advantage.

My cynical mind thinks at least 2 clubs would consider using it to gain an advantage if they were being battered on the pitch.

Oh that is pathetic, next you will be saying that some clubs would tape a fake bomb to the inside of the toilet to try and gain an advantage. Really mat I thought you were better than that.

you know when Salah joined the scoursers their islamophobia went down, I think London teams need to play an all-black starting 11. Some people might call me a mad man.
A lot of teams are already more than half black - if you had a 100% black team, I bet you'd still get racist abuse against a black opposing player if the crowd thought he was being a tw@t. In the heat of the moment people hit with the biggest stick available, even if it's not really their stick. Throw in alcohol, the relative anonymity of the crowd, and poor self-control, and you're gonna get racist abuse, even from someone who isn't obviously a racist.

A lot of teams are already more than half black - if you had a 100% black team, I bet you'd still get racist abuse against a black opposing player if the crowd thought he was being a tw@t. In the heat of the moment people hit with the biggest stick available, even if it's not really their stick. Throw in alcohol, the relative anonymity of the crowd, and poor self-control, and you're gonna get racist abuse, even from someone who isn't obviously a racist.

and you get a City fan racially abusing a City player.
The point I would make is he was dealt with. Technology is there but perhaps not being used to its full extent. Punish the individual not the masses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.