Racism on the Kippax/Maine Road

Never much of an issue at city, and we were backed by the cool cats so while those guys were around wasn't going to be!

Vaguely remember cyrille regis getting some stick once but that was probably more about him pulling our defence to pieces.

I do remember racism at plenty of other grounds though. Went to Cardiff one year and the locals were after anything English and not in a friendly way. Police ordered us to pull the blinds down on the train as we came into Cardiff... so we wouldn't glassed when the bricks landed. I was just thinking its alright for the players not having to run the gauntlet from the station like us fans when Alex Williams ran out and got slaughtered all through the game. Bananas, monkey chants, the lot. Bunch of morons and still at it.

Scousers were always bad and I recall the fuss when Lpool got their first black player, bit like Rangers signing their first catholic.

Chelsea, Millwall and Leeds were probably the worst I remember, but like most things every club had its element.

I never really thought there was any but then again as a white lad I am sure what I would have thought of as 'normal' could have been racist.

Never thought of myself as racist but did see a change from shouting 'who's that black b@sta@rd' to 'who's the b@st@rd in the black' towards the ref.

Also, I could never understand what was being chanted anyway, it was always too loud!

mcfcliam said:
At Wembley when Nani ran over to take a corner, a few minutes after rolling around like a twat, a Blue behind me shouted 'you black cu...' and before he finished saying '****', he went 'whoops!'

I think I'll put that down to the occasion rather than actually presuming he's a racist, even though it's a horrible thing to say.

Put it down to the occassion?, 100% no excuse in my book the fact that he started make an racist remark is completley unacceptable whether it be at a Football Match or anywhere else

Started going with my old fella 80/81 when i was a kid & it was alex williams who got it a lot...being in the net and the 1st black goalkeeper he suffered badly with abuse from what i can remember...good local lad aswell.

Posted on here before, I distinctly remember John Chidozie of Notts County getting a load of abuse around 1985.

The hissing against Spurs was pretty much an ever present around that time too.

Overall we've been much better than most, however.<br /><br />-- Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:02 pm --<br /><br />Posted on here before, I distinctly remember John Chidozie of Notts County getting a load of abuse around 1985.

The hissing against Spurs was pretty much an ever present around that time too.

Overall we've been much better than most, however.

Skashion said:
City were a very positive club in this respect. Always been a club that blacks weren't afraid to follow, which was very rare, our firms were mixed, whites, mixed-race and blacks (extremely rare) and of course Alex Williams probably being the first properly accepted black footballer.

No they weren't. There was a certain little 'firm' and i mean little in numbers not in size that were to the right of Hitler.

Seem to remember it being a toss up between Everton (Alex Williams got sme unbelievable stick there), Leeds, Millwall (remember the Goat and the monkey noises? in `98?) & Chelsea to who was the worst.

City always have had links with the local community including the black community. The introduction of Dave Bennett, Alex Williams, Roger Palmer and Clive Wilson who all came through the youth team is testament to that.

I never saw them as black players just City players, don't remember any problems from home fans.

There was a group of about ten fans that used to sing pro loyalist/Rangers chants on the kippax in the mid eighties. Some of it was vile, they were a bunch of twats.

1_barry_conlon said:
No they weren't. There was a certain little 'firm' and i mean little in numbers not in size that were to the right of Hitler.
I was speaking generally, and generally most of our firms, including our biggest firm, were racially mixed. We still get racist nobheads now. I saw someone giving Spurs fans a Nazi salute in the game where they beat us to the Champs League spot, does that mean we're anti-Semitic Nazis now in your world?

Skashion said:
1_barry_conlon said:
I was speaking generally, and generally most of our firms, including our biggest firm, were racially mixed. We still get racist nobheads now. I saw someone giving Spurs fans a Nazi salute in the game where they beat us to the Champs League spot, does that mean we're anti-Semitic Nazis now in your world?

No, but as you like to deal in facts i was giving you one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.