Racism on the Kippax/Maine Road

City always have had links with the local community including the black community. The introduction of Dave Bennett, Alex Williams, Roger Palmer and Clive Wilson who all came through the youth team is testament to that.

I never saw them as black players just City players, don't remember any problems from home fans.

Top post my friend.
I went to primary school on platt lane.Alex and Clive Jive used to come and give us training.
Alex has done lots for the local community..

City always have had links with the local community including the black community. The introduction of Dave Bennett, Alex Williams, Roger Palmer and Clive Wilson who all came through the youth team is testament to that.

I never saw them as black players just City players, don't remember any problems from home fans.

Top post my friend.
I went to primary school on platt lane.Alex and Clive Jive used to come and give us training.
Alex has done lots for the local community..

Not The Kippax but I've just remembered sitting with my Dad in the Main Stand against Villa and hearing a bloke refer to one of their players as a 'bag of soot' very loudly and frequently every time he went near the ball.

I was relatively young at the time but I remember feeling guilty afterwards that I didn't pull him up on it.

mcfcliam said:
In the 70's, 80's and early 90's, what was it like? Was there much racism on the Kippax or at Maine Road in general?

Heard various stories of Everton being quite bad, throwing bananas at John Barnes etc.

We have a lot of support from the black community in Manchester and I remember Pigeonho telling a story about how some guy called someone a 'black bastard' and some rasta guy turned around and gave him an evil glare, as you do!

I don't believe racism has been 100% wiped out of English football but jesus, how times have changed!

it was there - maybe not as obvious as some grounds but it was there

Dont fool yourselves kids......it was there...at the time it seemed normal and acceptable, but it wasnt, and obviously isnt.

Travelling over from Blackpool in the late 70's and early 80's and collecting from swinton on the way, as soon as we entered moss side my dad and other relatives said we are entering spot the white man country etc etc.... it was just normal to us then

Remember John Barnes playing for Watford at Maine Road and he came over to pick a ball up for a throw in and got dogs abuse from the kippax, us (about 10 or 11 years old) included, and he came over , right to the railings and was giving it back, directed directly at us... Fair play to him, we shit it, and legged it.

The worlds changed a lot from then, and obviously for the better in this regard, but for people to say it was better at maine road because of where it was and williams and wilson etc is misguided.

mcfcliam said:
At Wembley when Nani ran over to take a corner, a few minutes after rolling around like a twat, a Blue behind me shouted 'you black cu...' and before he finished saying '****', he went 'whoops!'

I think I'll put that down to the occasion rather than actually presuming he's a racist, even though it's a horrible thing to say.
Big fuckin fishing rod alert.
Should be interesting to see how far you get with this.

I've been going to City since the early 1960's and it was never really a problem. There was always the odd idiot around who could be offensive but on the whole I have always found that as long as you are a true supporter of City it doesn't matter what colour your skin is, all supporters are welcome.

Stan Horne, top guy who got humoured stick (so it seemed at the time) but was and still is respected by City fans from that era. Big mate of Neil Young and Stan still attends many home games and gets regular invites to supporters dos.

Racism is and perhaps will always be a problem for some but since attending games since the early 1960s there has always been a black presence amongst our support since those days.

On the same point City in immediate post war years were considered the team for the Jewish community to support whilst the Catholics had a duty to go to OT. How many clubs would have signed a former German commando shortly after the war.

Can't pretend we're perfect but I think we helped lead the way down the years.

Alex the Blue said:
Stan Horne, top guy who got humoured stick (so it seemed at the time) but was and still is respected by City fans from that era. Big mate of Neil Young and Stan still attends many home games and gets regular invites to supporters dos.

Racism is and perhaps will always be a problem for some but since attending games since the early 1960s there has always been a black presence amongst our support since those days.

On the same point City in immediate post war years were considered the team for the Jewish community to support whilst the Catholics had a duty to go to OT. How many clubs would have signed a former German commando shortly after the war.

Can't pretend we're perfect but I think we helped lead the way down the years.
Did we sign a commando as well as a paratrooper he must ave been shite don't remember him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.