Racist Everton?

dzeko's gecko said:
I know an Everton fan who is defnately a racist!
Freddie Starr?!!!
To be honest, I've always been surprised that Liverpool and the wider Merseyside region has traditionally had such a bad reputation for racism and intolerance, seeing as it was such an important trading port and with sailors from all over the planet wandering about. You would think it would be just the opposite, even giving its links to the Slave Trade. Bristol, for example, is very chilled on that score.
Though it was one of the last areas on the British mainland to still have the Orange parades so maybe intolerance is in Merseyside's DNA.

Everton have very few mixed race supporters. We have run coaches in the past for Everton, never had any trouble with regards to racism though.<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 pm --<br /><br />Earl Barrett played for Everton too, not sure if it was before Amokachi though.

in fairness you could have the same thread on most teams in football and find an example to balance your argument. another unnecessary thread on everton really!! its like a lazy journalist- mm got no news today, i know, everton. lets say something controversial about them. what next, are rangers sectarian??

shackattack said:
in fairness you could have the same thread on most teams in football and find an example to balance your argument. another unnecessary thread on everton really!! its like a lazy journalist- mm got no news today, i know, everton. lets say something controversial about them. what next, are rangers sectarian??

he's singling out everton because it was apparent that they "resisted" having black players throughout the '80's and part of the '90's. he's not just picked a random club, most of the posters on this thread have suggested that they recall this being the case.

shackattack said:

Ah, well probably best not to read tomorrow's Cutter then Shackattack.

It was me who started the thread and I did so because I write a fake football news story every day for a website that I run.
The producer from Midsomer Murders was in the news that day so I thought of something football related that I could maybe tie in with that.
I eventually decided that it might work if I claimed that the producer used to be an Evertonian in the 1980s and that the village from Midsomer Murders was based on Goodison Park during that era.
Humourous or just shit thats the angle I decided to go for.

Although its a piss-take website I do like to get the actual facts right (dates, people involved etc) so asked a sincere question on here after an unsuccessful bout of Googling.

If it was Leeds who were considered a racist club in the 1980s the headline and story would have been 'Elland Road Was Inspiration For Midsomer Murders Village Reveals Source'.
Similarly if it were Coventry then 'Highfield Road...' etc

I've said to you before Shackattack that I truly truly despise your football club.
I just do.
But on this occasion - and generally with my website - there was no bias nor agenda.
Last week I ridiculed Balotelli. I wrote the story on the same night I was defending him on here.
The former was just for jest. The latter was heartfelt.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I remember their fans singing 'Everton are white' (to the same tune as City are back) in the late 80's.

There's good and bad at all clubs but they have more than their fair share of sub-human scum. And worst of all they are so self-righteous.

Along with "Niggerpool Niggerpool" when Barnes played for them.

LongsightM13 said:
dzeko's gecko said:
I know an Everton fan who is defnately a racist!
Freddie Starr?!!!
To be honest, I've always been surprised that Liverpool and the wider Merseyside region has traditionally had such a bad reputation for racism and intolerance, seeing as it was such an important trading port and with sailors from all over the planet wandering about. You would think it would be just the opposite, even giving its links to the Slave Trade. Bristol, for example, is very chilled on that score.
Though it was one of the last areas on the British mainland to still have the Orange parades so maybe intolerance is in Merseyside's DNA.

Liverpool has a mixed history, in some respects you're right and black residents have faced discrimination(tocky riots etc) but Liverpool's also got some good points when it comes to race relations, the ward with the highest mixed race people is in Liverpool which I think shows that races do mix/get along. Equally the BNP have never had much of a foothold in the city, certainly not in comparison to somewhere like Leeds or Newcastle which have had very high BNP votes in the past.

As for the Orange parade stuff, well Liverpool has the largest concentration of Irish descendents in the country, with roughly 40% of scousers said to have Irish heritage. So in some respects it's more akin to Glasgow than any other english city...but sectarianism has gone now, nobody cares, whilst in Glasgow it's still an everyday thing.

it worries me not in the slightest what you think of everton in fairness. as a club i cannot comment but in general i would say scousers are tolerant in general. as someone said the NF has no stranglehold on merseyside - we are not that stupid to accept them!! as a fanbase who took inflatable bananas to the game i could make assumptions but am not that stupid. as for the niggerpool chants i have no recollection so cannot comment in a wengeresque way. are everton racist? no more than anyone else in reality- all clubs have a racist element- name me one that does not?

shackattack said:
it worries me not in the slightest what you think of everton in fairness. as a club i cannot comment but in general i would say scousers are tolerant in general. as someone said the NF has no stranglehold on merseyside - we are not that stupid to accept them!! as a fanbase who took inflatable bananas to the game i could make assumptions but am not that stupid. as for the niggerpool chants i have no recollection so cannot comment in a wengeresque way. are everton racist? no more than anyone else in reality- all clubs have a racist element- name me one that does not?

You say you cannot comment. Then you do. Strange.

And comparing us taking inflatable bananas to games to your lot throwing actual bananas in the direction of a black footballer whilst making monkey grunts is quite astonishingly stupid.

What I meant was I cannot comment for the club re their stance on race. I can however comment for myself. As for the bananas thrown at john barnes, their own fans did this also. He backheeled it if I remember. Like you say you cannot stand everton so its pointless to debate at that opening level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.