Rafa Benitez

sam-caddick said:
bluebarn said:
When Benitez was at the dippers I never felt that he knew how to win the league, but that he was tactically excellent in Europe. This pattern was repeated at Chelsea and I expect it would likely be the same again if he came here.

Chelsea should never have been in the Europa League, like us when we dropped down to it they were far too good for the competition and it would have been deemed massive failure had they not won it, no team in the competition had the equivalent of Hazard, Terry, Cech, Ivanovic, Oscar, Azpilicieta etc in their team.

I know we were in our first title hunt but I was frustrated Mancini didn't go to it when we dropped into it because out squad was clearly the most outstanding one in the competition, had we taken it seriously we would have won it in my opinion.

Don't forget Rafa has spent a lot of money at Napoli, even more so than Juvrntus and Roma I think yet he found himself failing to get Napoli past the qualification round of the CL early this season against Athletic Bilbao and are not guaranteed a CL spot for next season either!

Like I said earlier, Rafa was world class 10 years ago, so was Wenger, both are now just decent managers who will do a satisfactory job and offer a respectable cup run.

If we truly want to progress and become on par with Madrid, Barca and Bayern we need to go for world class ik the summer an make a statement, both with a managerial appointment and player recruitment.

Getting knocked out of the Europa helped us win the league on GD. We likely would have fell short by a point or two with the extra games.

A lot of sneering for a very good manager on here.
IF, we were to sack MP, and IF it was a season too early to get Pep (or another top tier manager) then I'd have no qualms about getting him in for a year. We'd have the inevitable bounce back that comes after a poor campaign (this has been however we dress it up) and I think he's the manager who our back four need to get their confidence and discipline back.
The truth is, those berating his lack of flair are forgetting that we have players in the front six who make things happen regardless of tactics. If we've become solid at the back I believe the rest will take care of itself.

Just to be clear here, I wouldn't advocate him being our long term manager, but for a season? No probs from me.

Pablo1 said:
IF, we were to sack MP, and IF it was a season too early to get Pep (or another top tier manager) then I'd have no qualms about getting him in for a year. We'd have the inevitable bounce back that comes after a poor campaign (this has been however we dress it up) and I think he's the manager who our back four need to get their confidence and discipline back.
The truth is, those berating his lack of flair are forgetting that we have players in the front six who make things happen regardless of tactics. If we've become solid at the back I believe the rest will take care of itself.

Just to be clear here, I wouldn't advocate him being our long term manager, but for a season? No probs from me.

We couldn't be any more Chelsea after doing all that! : P

Super2Goten said:
Pablo1 said:

We couldn't be any more Chelsea after doing all that! : P
I see where you're coming from but truth be told I'd rather us start from a solid base at the back, make it hard to play against and keep the spaces through the middle at a minimum. The gaps that opposition teams seem to find almost at will through our midfield has gone past the point of worrying - it's costing us games too often.
I think our midfield and forwards are far more creative than Chelsea so I'd have no worries about still being able to win games with flair as opposed to the way Chelsea seem to just grind teams down..

sam-caddick said:
Average football, spent a shed load at Napoli - even more so than Juventus I think - yet still not confirmed in a CL spot for next season, failed to qualify in the CL qualification stage against Bilbao, made a treble winning Inter Milan team average even if it was ageing.

Hew was one of THE names in management 8-10 years ago, but so was Wenger, both are not world class anymore.

Do you think Benitez will attract the likes of Pogba and co and would the likes of Aguero and co see him as worthy of where they City going? I doubt it.

We either go world class in the summer both in management and players or we will decline behind not just Chelsea but also United and possibly Liverpool next season.

Ancelotti, Guardiola, Simeone or Klopp.

To be fair he did lose Lavezzi and Cavani.

sam-caddick said:
bluebarn said:
When Benitez was at the dippers I never felt that he knew how to win the league, but that he was tactically excellent in Europe. This pattern was repeated at Chelsea and I expect it would likely be the same again if he came here.

Chelsea should never have been in the Europa League, like us when we dropped down to it they were far too good for the competition and it would have been deemed massive failure had they not won it, no team in the competition had the equivalent of Hazard, Terry, Cech, Ivanovic, Oscar, Azpilicieta etc in their team.

I know we were in our first title hunt but I was frustrated Mancini didn't go to it when we dropped into it because out squad was clearly the most outstanding one in the competition, had we taken it seriously we would have won it in my opinion.

Don't forget Rafa has spent a lot of money at Napoli, even more so than Juvrntus and Roma I think yet he found himself failing to get Napoli past the qualification round of the CL early this season against Athletic Bilbao and are not guaranteed a CL spot for next season either!

Like I said earlier, Rafa was world class 10 years ago, so was Wenger, both are now just decent managers who will do a satisfactory job and offer a respectable cup run.

If we truly want to progress and become on par with Madrid, Barca and Bayern we need to go for world class ik the summer an make a statement, both with a managerial appointment and player recruitment.

No it's more about couldn't than wouldn't

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.