Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed this vid:

Looks to be as though Pep's telling Sterling to touch and turn on it, instead of playing safe.

Not a criticism of Pep just a personal thing but I don't think I could have worked for someone who was that intense, it would have driven me nuts. Even Sterling looks a bit frazzled by the end of the vid and he's had 12 months to get used to it.

Not a criticism of Pep just a personal thing but I don't think I could have worked for someone who was that intense, it would have driven me nuts. Even Sterling looks a bit frazzled by the end of the vid and he's had 12 months to get used to it.

Part of the reason he's successful is because he's charismatic enough, and nice enough normally that players are receptive to that intensity when they eventually get it.

In a 352 system. He is extremely comfortable as one of the 2. I guess in your definition, the "shared" portion will apply.

But yes, describing him as a forward is more appropriate.

I've said it before. I'm extremely comfortable with him and Sane being the Striking backups to Kun and Gab.

I will be just as confident with those 2 as the starting strikers in a decent # of games this season.

I don't think a Sterling-Sané combo right now would do us well. On Friday during the match we played without proper strikers for some of the second half and the team seemed to lack a focal point, and no one was ready to be the person to go in the box and occupy defenders, we looked more like the toothless team of last year.

They could perhaps learn to do that, but at the moment, I'd only want to play Sané or Sterling in that 2 with one of the strikers.

Also perhaps it would have worked better if we weren't dominating possession and territory so much. If we were playing away to a possession side, and had more opportunities to attack from deeper and counterattack, then those two would probably do a great job.

I don't think a Sterling-Sané combo right now would do us well. On Friday during the match we played without proper strikers for some of the second half and the team seemed to lack a focal point, and no one was ready to be the person to go in the box and occupy defenders, we looked more like the toothless team of last year.

They could perhaps learn to do that, but at the moment, I'd only want to play Sané or Sterling in that 2 with one of the strikers.

Also perhaps it would have worked better if we weren't dominating possession and territory so much. If we were playing away to a possession side, and had more opportunities to attack from deeper and counterattack, then those two would probably do a great job.
Yep. That's what I'm on about. There would be times where the counter speed of those 2 would probably serve us better. And I wouldn't judge Sterling on the 2nd half performance. He was playing tippy tappy with all the Silva clones (Bernado, Diaz, Robert, Zichenko and Foden) so clearly he got a little carried away and often wandered back into midfield to join the fun.

In a much more intense game with log splitters like Yaya, Gundo David NASRI or Kev in the game, I can we him doing major damage. Sane too with that glide speed

I can see why some former players are a bit funny with him, he's intense and straight onto any mistakes drilling what he wants them to do into them and some people don't respond well to that. Hopefully Sterling knows he's doing it because he believes in him and that he thinks he can make him a better player, Stones has had it a bit as well so it's a big season for them both.

Part of the reason he's successful is because he's charismatic enough, and nice enough normally that players are receptive to that intensity when they eventually get it.
Exactly and there is a world of difference between being told by someone who you have total respect for and a coach like say Steve Bruce.

This cracked me up...

An FA bigwig has been courting players from the current England squad, hoping to drum up a bit of support for some football charity work that he's involved with in Cambodia at the minute.

Talking to one of the team's best known players, he couldn't believe his luck when the star immediately agreed to help. However, it quickly became clear that the player hadn't really been following the conversation too closely.

"Cambodia..." the player said. "That's that town near Oxford, right?"

That geography genius? Raheem Sterling.

Solid performance off the bench yesterday - and I really liked how he took an intentional foul to stop a breakaway - good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.