Raheem Sterling and Gomez - "bust up" at England camp

This whole episode strikes me as being very out of character for Sterling - I don’t remember but does he have form for this?

What could have pushed him to flip - he’s usually so composed but to do so in an England camp just seems bizarre

Persistent fouling inside and outside the area of which referees ignore ninety-five percent. He was rough-housed in that challenge from St. Guiseppe of Gomez, the sort of tackle that is common from the likes of Liverpool, CL teams, and which, when delivered onto our players ankles, knees, hips and shins is deemed 'contact' but of which only the tiniest whiff on opposition players in order to send them tumbling and the ref pulls a yellow and/or points to the spot without the slightest reference to the wankers in the VAR suite! Raheem has exercised the most staggering control, as most of our players do, but game in and game out when the refs are applying the LotG with such blatant variability it's no wonder that the patience of a saint is tested.

They had to bite their lips after Sterling called them out last year. They've bided their time, and are now lapping up the opportunity to get their revenge.
Unfortunately this is probably the case.

Even when they were queried on it last season, the fact that none of them actually took responsibility for the reporting.
They would just use generalities such as 'the media treatment / narrative of Sterling should be reconsidered'

as opposed to;

I myself have reflected on some of my own written articles on Sterling and I can see why they are inappropriate / biased / could be seen to be racially motivated etc etc...........

Last edited:
This whole episode strikes me as being very out of character for Sterling - I don’t remember but does he have form for this?

What could have pushed him to flip - he’s usually so composed but to do so in an England camp just seems bizarre

He’s a winner and his team were literally cheated out of a game 48 hours prior to a horrible smarmy **** taking the piss.

I’ve never been so angry about a match and the officials so I can’t imagine what it was like to play in.

Time will tell but I actually think the opposite - I think as long as Pep himself is channelling his fury in the right way it will bring out the best in both Sterling and Bernardo.

My main positive from Sunday was that we had actually found the Bernardo Silva from last season.........

I also doubt it will make a difference, other than being dredged up by the media from time to time, and I don't think Sterling bothers about them any more.

From what has been reported, it seems to me that Gomez has said something, intended as a joke, Sterling has reacted and gone for him to a limited degree (and has subsequently admitted that he lost control). As a result, he's been dropped for one relatively unimportant match. That seems quite reasonable for an off-field act - if Southgate will drop Sterling, it means he'll drop anyone and we don't get the Rooney syndrome of untouchability. If it cuts out the club vs club splits of past squads, it's good for England.

No-one in the squad will care about it any more, it's done.

Where’s that Fanny Wipes thingy?

Worked well for bernardo and mendy didn’t it - neither have played to their potential since that media shit storm. Footballers thrive on confident and support - look how sterling turned around his England performances once the press got behind him; before that he was public enemy no. 1

I also doubt it will make a difference, other than being dredged up by the media from time to time, and I don't think Sterling bothers about them any more.

From what has been reported, it seems to me that Gomez has said something, intended as a joke, Sterling has reacted and gone for him to a limited degree (and has subsequently admitted that he lost control). As a result, he's been dropped for one relatively unimportant match. That seems quite reasonable for an off-field act - if Southgate will drop Sterling, it means he'll drop anyone and we don't get the Rooney syndrome of untouchability. If it cuts out the club vs club splits of past squads, it's good for England.

No-one in the squad will care about it any more, it's done.

I’d imagine Sterling wasn’t happy with the unprovoked shove on the pitch from Gomez and Gomez played on this. I’d bet that Gomez went up to Sterling all cocky and overly friendly giving him a patronising wink and a shove which probably sent him over the edge. It also seems that the whole England playing squad have rounded against Sterling on the back of it maybe with the exception of Henderson the peace maker.

There’s probably some north London - south London thing going on too which doesn’t help matters.

Whatever the case, from a City perspective Southgate’s reaction has been well over the top and it just looks like he’s flexing his muscles in a gimme game. he’s also managed to garner the anti-City support, of which there is plenty, to increase his own standing in the game.

Like has been said if this was a must win game it would have been dealt with differently.

Something very sinister about the way the entire media is aligning behind Southgate on this. Even those few who have spoken out like Rio see to have been strangely silenced?

I've not really read the papers, but it is not the entire media at all. Vast majority on Talksport are saying the punishment is too much.

Anyhow, he has to be punished in some way, we might not know the full details, but Southgate has said Sterling was the aggressor. If that wasn't a fact, Sterling would have commented by now to say that wasn't the case. Banning him from the 1000th game is obviously bad timing, but he couldn't let him play in that one, and then ban him for the game after. I don't agree with the punishment, but there was only one thing that would have made this a non-story..... and that was by Sterling not doing anything in the first place.

If it was the other way round, after that game, and Trent, Gomez or Henderson had been reported in the same way to have 'attacked' Sterling..... The same lot on here saying Sterling is an angel and is being treated unfairly would be demanding the Liverpool players were never allowed to play for England again.

Easy for me to say it as A.I'm not English and Sterling so he really might like playing for the team and b: his image and marketing price is gaining for playing for it, but it's really shame Raz didn't tell Southgate to fuck off and that he will never play for him again for making a mountain out of this and giving anyone a platform to go after him. Whatever "success" the smugface made as England manager, Sterling was main player to bring that and he thanked him with doing this to him. ****.

He’s a winner and his team were literally cheated out of a game 48 hours prior to a horrible smarmy **** taking the piss.

I’ve never been so angry about a match and the officials so I can’t imagine what it was like to play in.

There's barely a game at The Etihad where my anger with the officials doesn't rise to the surface and manifest itself with some choice language. S'a wonder I've not been thrown out! I wonder why so few in the RDAHMeedya don't use the word 'blatant' for the way the game is twisted to suit certain outcomes? Perhaps they are in the camp that is on the receiving end of the best outcomes!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.