Raheem Sterling and Gomez - "bust up" at England camp

They had to bite their lips after Sterling called them out last year. They've bided their time, and are now lapping up the opportunity to get their revenge.
And of course it’s another lovely opportunity for them have a pop at something City related.

Bullying and personal intimidation. This is where it always ends up, and so often it emanates from Anfield and their media acolytes who seek to profit from football tribalism.

It's an odd thing in this country that when the person who is being bullied turns on the bully, the press/media defend the bully..

I’d imagine Sterling wasn’t happy with the unprovoked shove on the pitch from Gomez and Gomez played on this. I’d bet that Gomez went up to Sterling all cocky and overly friendly giving him a patronising wink and a shove which probably sent him over the edge. It also seems that the whole England playing squad have rounded against Sterling on the back of it maybe with the exception of Henderson the peace maker.

There’s probably some north London - south London thing going on too which doesn’t help matters.

Whatever the case, from a City perspective Southgate’s reaction has been well over the top and it just looks like he’s flexing his muscles in a gimme game. he’s also managed to garner the anti-City support, of which there is plenty, to increase his own standing in the game.

Like has been said if this was a must win game it would have been dealt with differently.

First bit - yes, pretty much what I'd assume happened, basically dumbassery. I'm not sure that the squad have rounded on Sterling though, I don't see anything supporting that. Henderson has come out of it okay, and deserves some credit if that's true - he's probably the squad member who knows each best.

London? No idea, I didn't know Gomez was from there!

It may well have been different for a big game, but we'll never know until that happens. I think a manager making a stand on discipline isn't a bad thing, and he'll have to do similarly in the future to not be completely exposed; again, only time will tell. I don't think Southgate cares too much about how it was viewed externally, but instead is pretty annoyed that it leaked, forcing the acknowledgement and media storm. Worse that storm is built on leaks, which may be partisan and partial in their presentation.

First bit - yes, pretty much what I'd assume happened, basically dumbassery. I'm not sure that the squad have rounded on Sterling though, I don't see anything supporting that. Henderson has come out of it okay, and deserves some credit if that's true - he's probably the squad member who knows each best.

London? No idea, I didn't know Gomez was from there!

It may well have been different for a big game, but we'll never know until that happens. I think a manager making a stand on discipline isn't a bad thing, and he'll have to do similarly in the future to not be completely exposed; again, only time will tell. I don't think Southgate cares too much about how it was viewed externally, but instead is pretty annoyed that it leaked, forcing the acknowledgement and media storm. Worse that storm is built on leaks, which may be partisan and partial in their presentation.
Henderson is the Captain. A guy who is Captain knows the feelings of his players, and sorts this out afterwards. He must know there is bad blood there, and if he doesn't he should not be Captain.

Sterling has been targeted by Anfield for years and anyone associated with that club knows what they do when they comment online, and their players acted up to it at Anfield. A good Captain pre-empts all this, goes into the dressing room afterwards, seeks the players out and sorts it out. This festered.

Kompany would not let his teammates take the piss on the pitch nor would he allow someone who has had an X on his back be targeted.

And now that idiot Southgate has let it out of the bag, and the media get to make money out of an episode they did so much to fuel in the first place.

At least Raheem Sterling knows that City fans have got his back. The internet, media, racism, LFC, and MCFC. We all know who stands where in all this.

To be honest it sounds like Sterling was in the wrong.

I'm glad he cares enough to lose his head, and makes me think the will be a response in the title race. I think dropping him for a game is not much of a punishment, although its alarming the players needed to stop him getting sent home. To be honest anyone thinking this story could have been kept under wraps is very naïve.

The press will overreact but I dont think it's been that out of order, we've had ex pros defending him, talksport defending him and Ducker has blamed it all on Liverpool today in the telegraph and Hudson Odoi doing an interview about Sterling being his idol.

Just need to move on, have a great game against Kosovo and everyone will forget it.

Last edited:

I’d imagine Sterling wasn’t happy with the unprovoked shove on the pitch from Gomez and Gomez played on this...

I've not watched the match back and can see no comment on this thread at least, but I distinctly remember Gomez ramming his elbow in to Sterlings back when he ran him off the pitch. Or did I imagine that? It would explain why the officials and VAR seem to have ignored it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.