Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

Ahh I see, i did have a feeling it may be them. but as a fan who goes upto Rangers a few times a season I thought surely not.

But anyways fair enough.

No your allowed an opinion, we are not a communist country stopping free speech just yet ;-)
I hate Rangers. All my family love the club and are in the Orange Order. It's so difficult to reconcile loving my family with some of the stuff they believe. I just see my immediate family now and ignore my extended. Like the cousin I was closest to as a kid, who idolises Tommy Robinson, the EDL etc, and is passing all that on to his son. It's saddening.

And yes, that was my point. It's not just me who was never a fan of Sterling. It seems like a ban on free speech to force people to submit to the views of people like 'kaz'. Lots of City fans here agree with me, and I would suggest so would a lot of non-City fans.

I have just never thought he's a top player, and he's proving that outside of City. Even at his best he wasn't my type of player - lauded for his stats rather than his all-round game in general play. His technique is too scrappy for me. I like natural technically gifted footballers.

True, they contradict themselves from the pasts. But I am talking about them now. Also, like Barcelona, they're a left leaning club that wants to lord it over the rest of the league. So essentially also right-leaning with their wanting to dominate everyone.

No, I might as well just tell you. It's Rangers. I have been posting in the Scottish football threads enough.

Anyway not sure how this came to my allegiances. I gave some fair opinions on Sterling and was jumped on by a few people. Doesn't seem right.

Should people be afraid to voice genuine opinions here?
Sterling was overall a success but deteriorated quite quickly over his last 18 months or so.
His assist in his final game ensured he left on a high and getting 50m was great business.
Somebody else’s problem now. We’ve not been too shabby since he went.

Not if you can ignore the fuckwit responses you will get.

You must have read a matchday thread ?
Nah I haven't actually lol.

It is honestly not my intention to antagonise anyone here. I have been very complimentary of most of your players, and any I am not a fan of I don't comment on. Sterling has left City and there was a debate about him so I thought I would give some honest views on what I think about him.

Not saying I am right and his defenders are wrong. It's just what I and some other think.

But I don't take comments from kaz implying I am a kid for not worshipping at the altar of Raheem.

That is her modus operandi though - to insult and belittle while offering very little in the way of football analysis.

I knew before I came back on I would likely get some of that and it's that sort of animosity that generally keeps me off forums. It ruins my mood getting into arguments as I am a very gentle person.

Sterling was overall a success but deteriorated quite quickly over his last 18 months or so.
His assist in his final game ensured he left on a high and getting 50m was great business.
Somebody else’s problem now. We’ve not been too shabby since he went.
Fair enough.

Like I say, unlike kaz, I respect people's opinions and am grown up enough to understand that people won't agree with me all the time.

Anyway, I am sorry if I offended anyone with my views (including you kaz). It wasn't my intention and I regret that now the thread about this player has become centred on me. I didn't mean it to.

Apologies.

Played more than 300 games for City, scored more than 100 goals, and won a bucket load of trophies.

One of the greatest players in our history. If he'd played for us in the 60s and 70s you'd have older heads (rightly) getting misty eyed over him and saying they don't make players like him anymore.

Represented the club with dignity and pride, was integral to the attacking flair of the highest-scoring and most dominant team in Premier League history, and won back-to-back PL titles on two occasions.

Along with Fred Tilson, Gabriel Jesus, and Ilkay Gundogan, he's one of only four players in Manchester City's entire history to score two goals in an FA Cup final, and one of only 51 players to represent City in a European final.

And let's not forget the day he was attacked outside of the training ground - in an assault that was later revealed to be a racist hate crime - but brushed it off and scored two big goals against Spurs for our club in an important game.

Deserves more respect from our fans than he gets. One of the very few players in our recent history who people seem to think was good in spite of his ability rather than because of it. Delighted we had him, £44m was a bargain.
Well said, Bob.

That was a brilliant post.

Shit move getting your management team to make a statement like that but unsurprising as he’s at a stage of his career where he’s stoped giving a fuck.
I don't mean this as a negative or criticism of him but I strongly suspect football is just a job to him and he has no emotional attachment to any of the clubs he's played at.

You could never fault his commitment or work ethic and he clearly wants to be one of the main men wherever he is. My issue with him is his apparent lack of self-awareness of the quality of his contribution. His positioning was usually great but his ability to strike a ball cleanly and accurately was not what you'd expect from a forward at his level. If you have a weakness, you recognise that and try to correct it. I'm not sure he ever really tried to do that or, if he did, there was no meaningful sign of improvement.

Fair enough.

Like I say, unlike kaz, I respect people's opinions and am grown up enough to understand that people won't agree with me all the time.
You’re like too many in this country, concentrating too much on players' negatives, rather than focusing on what they do well.

I don't mean this as a negative or criticism of him but I strongly suspect football is just a job to him and he has no emotional attachment to any of the clubs he's played at.

You could never fault his commitment or work ethic and he clearly wants to be one of the main men wherever he is. My issue with him is his apparent lack of self-awareness of the quality of his contribution. His positioning was usually great but his ability to strike a ball cleanly and accurately was not what you'd expect from a forward at his level. If you have a weakness, you recognise that and try to correct it. I'm not sure he ever really tried to do that or, if he did, there was no meaningful sign of improvement.
That's my only issue with the guy.

He was a model pro in the sense of always giving his all. He had amazing workrate and off ball movement. The racist abuse he faced from scumbags in the tabloids and idiots in the stands was repulsive. Good on him for shutting them up.

But my issue with him, is that I am a guy who loves technical wizards. He was never that, let's be honest about it. Mahrez is 3 times more talented than him.

Obviously not disputing his contribution, and like I said earlier, application of talent is much more important than having talent and doing nothing with it. He squeezed every last drop out of his ability, because honestly, I think far more talented footballers have did much less in the game thab him.

So I guess in the end - he was a success. Because he got every drop out of himself at City. But away from the guidance of Guardiola, and in a mess like Chelsea, he needs his talent to make up for the chaos surrounding him. And it isn't, because he isn't a football genius or anywhere close.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.