Random retro City matches that you taped off the tele.

Ballet On Ice said:
Would like to know if anyone has the game against Notts County sometime in the eighties or even the goal.

Cant remember the year but Melrose scored a goal in the first half (my memory is probably exaggerating here) where he took a clearance on his chest, on the half way line, turned and volleyed it in the net.

Would love to see it again, I remember that for the rest of the first half that goal was all we could talk about

So glad someone else remembered this goal. I my mind it is the best goal I have ever seen live but always think my memory may be exaggerating how good it was. My recollection of it is similar. Ball kind of came over Melrose's shoulder as he was crossing the halfway line. He chested it by which time he was probably at the edge of the centre circle in the opposition half and then smashed it in on the full volley from what must have been at least 45 yards. From memory no cameras at all their

I've lots of old VHS stashed at my folks house and on them there's lots from the 80s including the 5-1 and 10-1 not to mention stunners like a 1-1 draw with Watford in the cup. I also used to sit with remote poised to get any little snippet in the days when you only got to see certain games so I've got a BBC news clipping of the 2-0 win at Spuds in 1986 which was our only away win for ages plus the 2-2 at the swamp and 4-5 full members cup defeat on consecutive dates.

Talking of the 5-1, they sold the VHS of it at Maine Road that season for £14. Seems a bit steep these days given that was 25 years ago and a ticket for the Main stand was only about 8 quid!

First is what was I think a one nil win at filbert street, Quinn goal. The second is just when the bungs hit graham, Horton was our manager iirc, schwarz scored with a good strike I think

Leveblue said:
I've got three VHS tapes full of City's games from when VHS first came out. Every time City were on I used to tape up, win draw or loss. Including interviews and documentries etc. Must try and get them transfered to DVD, although some are pretty poor quality.

Same for me although not when we lost though!

VHS tapes of City winning promotion at Bradford - 1-1 score - Morley got the goal - pandemonium
Also City away at Oxford - think it was a Sunday afternoon on ITV. -City won 4-1 and Kinkladze was imperious.
I'll have to root them out of the loft. - see if they will still play on the old 14 inch Bush with VHS slot.

Got hundreds which I transferred from VHS to discs, even got interviews documentary a etc, got a pre recorded Newcastle away championship winning VHS, got a debate which took place at Maine rd with Malcolm Allison John maddocks hosted by Richard keys etc

I have a quality back-to-back goalfeast from 1994 - 5-2 vs Spurs followed by 4-3 at QPR in the Cup.
Thought that team was going places at the time - they were : Div 3!

andy1971 said:
Ballet On Ice said:
Would like to know if anyone has the game against Notts County sometime in the eighties or even the goal.

Cant remember the year but Melrose scored a goal in the first half (my memory is probably exaggerating here) where he took a clearance on his chest, on the half way line, turned and volleyed it in the net.

Would love to see it again, I remember that for the rest of the first half that goal was all we could talk about

So glad someone else remembered this goal. I my mind it is the best goal I have ever seen live but always think my memory may be exaggerating how good it was. My recollection of it is similar. Ball kind of came over Melrose's shoulder as he was crossing the halfway line. He chested it by which time he was probably at the edge of the centre circle in the opposition half and then smashed it in on the full volley from what must have been at least 45 yards. From memory no cameras at all their

I will never forget this goal, along time ago but it was far better than Saint David’s long range effort that the TV always show.

Maybe wishful thinking but I am sure I saw it again, on MOTD or Granada news/Elton Welsby

Would love to see it again and if a copy does exist it would be a treat for younger City fans to see

Used to have loads on Betamax starting with Ipswich semi final.Threw them all way as Betamax was replaced by VHS.Also
had loads of top of the pops on Betamax.

andy1971 said:
Ballet On Ice said:

That goal will have stuck in the minds of all 20,000 or so that were there to see it. It wasn't a live televised match and I can't honestly recall it being shown in the highlights programme on Sunday afternoon. The guy who gets hold of all those brilliant vids for the mcfcvideos channel on youtube hasn't found any film of it yet but we live in hope. (Excellent description of the goal btw.)

Back on topic I used to have a shedload of 80s and 90s games on vid but had to bin them recently as the quality had faded badly over time.

Leeds 1-2 City from 83/84 season was a bit of an odd one in the collection, I was working and couldn't make the match but for some reason the club arranged for production of a full 90 mins VHS tape and sold it via mail order.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.