Random things you remember about City matches

I remember going to a game at Blackpool when I was a nipper with my Dad, Grandad and a bus load of their mates. We stopped and everyone jumped out and started to have a piss up a wall when a copper say's "Oi, you'r all nicked". He let us go. Another time was at Maine road and a group of City suppoters were battering a leeds supporter outside after the game. My Dad told them all to leave him alone and fuck off home. I can still see the Leeds bloke face all covered in blood to this day.

Not sure if I imagined this, but I swear at one game I saw a Pelican land on the Platt Lane Stand roof and started watching the football. And no I hadn’t been drinking.

If memory serves me right, it had escaped from the Pets Corner which used to be in Platt Fields Park.

Probably would have been around the late 60’s early 70’s.

ChippyPerthBlue said:
Remember when we played Oldham at Boundary Park and it was City everywhere, going off all over the place and then a ladder appeared in the stnd and City lads were using it to get into the upper tier.

Where the fuck did that ladder come from.

Ha ha..! I remember that very clearly and was even more amused to see I knew the person who found the ladder, which was stored in the roof section at the back of the stand.

I always remembered my first game was a testimonial in the mid-60's and involved City & United but until recently didn't realise it could only have been Bert Trautmann's in April 1964.

I wish I could remember more about it than I do, as a combined City/United team captained by Bert took on an England XI that apparently included Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney & Jimmy Armfield.

blumoonrises said:
ChippyPerthBlue said:
Remember when we played Oldham at Boundary Park and it was City everywhere, going off all over the place and then a ladder appeared in the stnd and City lads were using it to get into the upper tier.

Ha ha..! I remember that very clearly and was even more amused to see I knew the person who found the ladder, which was stored in the roof section at the back of the stand.

The ladder had been used by the TV crew/video man to climb up to their gantry in the Ford Stand (opposite the main stand). I don't know if he got stranded up there but it was hilarious seeing the fans run across the pitch with it and then position it in front of the directors box, then climb up it.<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm --<br /><br />
Leveblue said:
Not sure if I imagined this, but I swear at one game I saw a Pelican land on the Platt Lane Stand roof and started watching the football. And no I hadn’t been drinking.

If memory serves me right, it had escaped from the Pets Corner which used to be in Platt Fields Park.

Probably would have been around the late 60’s early 70’s.

James H Reeve has told a story of this in the past. There was a rumour that it had escaped from Belle Vue as well.

ChippyPerthBlue said:

ha, remember that game well. The first awayday me and my brother were allowed to go to alone. Billy McNeill had to come on the pitch to try and get the City fans to calm down, I think the ladder was being used by police and stewards to evacuate Oldham fans from the second tier of their stand, but some City lads just took it off em and used it to climb up instead of down. Remember seeing a copper laid out on the pitch after being hit by a wooden seat boomeranged from said stand minutes later.
We got a bus from towna and were adopted for the day by a bunch of older blues, who got us off at Chadderton and then marched en masse to the ground, across a playing field where several Saturday league matches were in full swing, interrupting play and, in some cases, with City fans nicking the ball and 'scoring'. Mad day

remember one reserve game at maine road , it was very windy and a carrier bag blowing across the pitch engullfed the ball , while in play.

does anyone remember playing away to blackpool in the cup? it was a midweek game in the mid eighties and some city fans let a fire extinguisher off in the stand. Or have i been hallucinating again?<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm --<br /><br />
LongsightM13 said:
ChippyPerthBlue said:

ha, remember that game well. The first awayday me and my brother were allowed to go to alone. Billy McNeill had to come on the pitch to try and get the City fans to calm down, I think the ladder was being used by police and stewards to evacuate Oldham fans from the second tier of their stand, but some City lads just took it off em and used it to climb up instead of down. Remember seeing a copper laid out on the pitch after being hit by a wooden seat boomeranged from said stand minutes later.
We got a bus from towna and were adopted for the day by a bunch of older blues, who got us off at Chadderton and then marched en masse to the ground, across a playing field where several Saturday league matches were in full swing, interrupting play and, in some cases, with City fans nicking the ball and 'scoring'. Mad day
i think we drew 2-2. very funny.

LongsightM13 said:
ChippyPerthBlue said:

Got a quality image in my head... pmsl

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.