Random things you remember about City matches

Prestwich_Blue said:
I always remembered my first game was a testimonial in the mid-60's and involved City & United but until recently didn't realise it could only have been Bert Trautmann's in April 1964.

I wish I could remember more about it than I do, as a combined City/United team captained by Bert took on an England XI that apparently included Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney & Jimmy Armfield.

In the team line up in the programme for that game, it showed one player as
"A.N. OTHER" as they obviously hadn't finalised the line up when the programme went to print............I remember asking my dad who he played for

Mr Banks has now left the stadium

bending down to tie my shoe lace only for the lights in the kippax to fail and ending up halfway down the kippax on my head as everyone started 'lets all have a disco'

game against ipswich abandoned at half time but loads of people stayed behind and had a sing song 'swales out'

Don't know if i am going senile or not,but......
I can remember going to the last game of the 72-73 season,and we were playing against the already relegated Malcolm Allison's Crystal Palace. (he left us just a couple of weeks before).
The match was a dour affair, when there was a stoppage in play i can remember a young fan running from the terraces across the pitch and taking the ball of Rodney Marsh, beating a Palace defender and blasting the ball into the net.
He then ran across to the side of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Kippax.whilst doing this he was being followed by one of our boys from GMP.As the fan was on his knees he just looked up at the constable in a very Rodney Marsh-esque way as if he was the referee about to disallow the goal for an infringement!

Now i was only a young fellow at the time,and none of my City following friends can remember this. Can anyone else on here remember this happening,or am i indeed going senile?

one really sticks out - away years ago at notts forest. we were all over forest, and dave beasant was having a blinder. one of our lads went through on goal and he managed to boot the ball away at the last minute. a guy next to me shouted "you didn't kick that fucking salad cream bottle like that did you" Beasant pissed himself laughing (in ref to the time beasant dropped a large jar of salad cream on his foot and knackered his ligaments) piss funny!!!!

First game, must have been about 1982 v Everton - 0-0. I was in the Platt Lane and Everton fans below us charged up and City fans above charged down. Remember me and my mate ducking under the seats (we were 8) as it went off big style (pre segregation days) before the scousers were marched out.

Anyone else remember in the kippax for the last ever standing game, there was a loud bloke wearing a paper mashe viking banana helmet, he suddenly went silent in the send half and stared downwards. He then looked up and projectile vomitted over the bloke in front's 'kippax last stand' t-shirt. I've never seen a packed kippax clear so quickly.

bluwes said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I always remembered my first game was a testimonial in the mid-60's and involved City & United but until recently didn't realise it could only have been Bert Trautmann's in April 1964.

I wish I could remember more about it than I do, as a combined City/United team captained by Bert took on an England XI that apparently included Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney & Jimmy Armfield.

In the team line up in the programme for that game, it showed one player as
"A.N. OTHER" as they obviously hadn't finalised the line up when the programme went to print............I remember asking my dad who he played for
Hey I remember that too now you mention it and asking my dad about it.

I also remember sitting in the Maine Stand for a game instead of my usual seat in the North Stand when Ray Ranson was our first choice full back. Must have been early 80's. Didn't catch the teams so didn't realise that the guy at full back wasn't Ranson, who wasn't playing. Whoever it was had a shit game and I was shouting out all sorts of things like "Ranson, WTF are you doing", "Ranson FFS", "Ranson, what is the matter with you".

At half time there was a tap on my shoulder so I turned round and there was Ray Ranson and his missus sat behind me killing themselves laughing.

4 nil down after 20 mins against arsenal. sittin in the north stand singin boring boring arsenal... classic

Leveblue said:
Not sure if I imagined this, but I swear at one game I saw a Pelican land on the Platt Lane Stand roof and started watching the football. And no I hadn’t been drinking.

If memory serves me right, it had escaped from the Pets Corner which used to be in Platt Fields Park.

Probably would have been around the late 60’s early 70’s.
It was indeed a Pelican mate, it was on a City documentary about Maine Road a few years ago, apparently sat and watched for half an hour before flying off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.