Read all about it - Essential City reads - a list

bluemike said:
lancs blue said:
Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City - Mark Hodkinson

A blow by blow account of our 3rd tier season 1998/99, including York away for the unfortunates on here who missed it. ;-)

It's a neutral journo's viewpoint on the season so you won't agree with all of it but there are some interesting insights.
Great book. Would love to read it again but my brother has never given it back to me.
At the end of the book, does it have City fans' views from the MUEN? Imagine if they were copied from here during the play off final.................
The comments at the end are actually from MCIVTA, an emailed newsletter which, along with the old Blueview, were the forerunners of this site. In fact several posters from this site are quoted in there. It's very emotional reading and brings it back what that playoff meant.

I know it's not city related,but as my old fella is from Ukraine and a Kiev fan,got to give it a mention..he got me a book....DYNAMO....unbelievable read,true story....goes back to when they were called FC.START...can be a bit horrifying at times though.

Best football book I ever read is by an American, about Italian footie, Joe McGinnis, The Miracle of Castel DiSangro. Stupendous.

Best City books: Trautmann's, Frank Swift's, and Schindler on the Summerbees.

Didsbury Dave said:
bluemike said:
lancs blue said:
Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City - Mark Hodkinson

A blow by blow account of our 3rd tier season 1998/99, including York away for the unfortunates on here who missed it. ;-)

It's a neutral journo's viewpoint on the season so you won't agree with all of it but there are some interesting insights.
Great book. Would love to read it again but my brother has never given it back to me.
At the end of the book, does it have City fans' views from the MUEN? Imagine if they were copied from here during the play off final.................
The comments at the end are actually from MCIVTA, an emailed newsletter which, along with the old Blueview, were the forerunners of this site. In fact several posters from this site are quoted in there. It's very emotional reading and brings it back what that playoff meant.
MCIVTA is at 1889 at present so that means 1894 is just around the corner if any one has not put anything on the of late try and get something special in for the 1894 issue

Big Niall's is a good read although there are plenty on here that would give it a swerve! Kinky the perfect 10 too. Enjoyed schindlers book on the Summerbees as well, and the one about the great City/Rag youth teams, despite him sounding like a rag whenever he gives an anti-City interview these days.

Non City - Steak Diana Ross: diary of a football nobody

Ali Benarbia said:
Best football book I ever read is by an American, about Italian footie, Joe McGinnis, The Miracle of Castel DiSangro. Stupendous.

Best City books: Trautmann's, Frank Swift's, and Schindler on the Summerbees.

Totally agree on the Joe McGinnis book. Fantastic read.

City related book not been mentioned yet is Andy Morrison's ' The Good, The Mad and The Ugly' which is a gripping read.

Have read loads of footballing autobiographies. For City-related, although he's hardly remembered with fondness for his time with us, Alan Ball's is a good read and was honest about his time with us. Rodney Marsh's is also a decent read.

For non-City ones, Jimmy Armfield's and Stanley Matthews' for how things used to be, and Paul McGrath's for an unflinching, moving story.

Also - The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story by Paolo Hewitt and Paul McGuigan.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro was alright. But 'A Season with Verona' is much better. Superbly written account of fans' experiences. Might have to re-read it.

Fred Eyre's book was great from what I remember.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.