Reading Challenge 2022

Thanks Rob, just seems to be one thing after another at moment. Not wanting to highjack thread. Running is my go to thing at present, on 'rest days' walking while listening to podcasts and reading are what I try to do. Not had much free time recently and do find it difficult to switch off also finding it hard to concentrate. On those days when working from home just have radio on in background.
I don't think it's hijacking the thread for regular posters to give a bit of context to what's going in. We're all struggling through one thing or another (obviously some people are struggling to different degrees). I find these threads (books, music, TV or whatever) help keep me sane, being stuck working from home all the time.

Anyway, take care, and I hope you enjoy Black Hearts Rising. I look forward to your feedback.

I don't think it's hijacking the thread for regular posters to give a bit of context to what's going in. We're all struggling through one thing or another (obviously some people are struggling to different degrees). I find these threads (books, music, TV or whatever) help keep me sane, being stuck working from home all the time.

Anyway, take care, and I hope you enjoy Black Hearts Rising. I look forward to your feedback.
Some threads on here like this, running and few other have helped me so so much especially over the last 6 months of so. Finger's crossed light at the end of a few tunnels in next few days/weeks. I'm 60 next week so booked week off work. Heading home to Northern Ireland to spend few days with family and friends then my partner and me going to Brighton for few days as she needs a break as well. Most of week will be spent by seaside, long walks along beaches and I'm hoping will involve lots of laughter, beer, cocktails and reading. Back with batteries recharged to start again

Just to add, this thread and the running thread are the two threads on BlueMoon that I subscribe to, and get the most enjoyment / benefit from.

Probably about 60% of my reading is through audiobooks, which I listen to whilst running. I'll go for my first run in eight days later today, due to picking up Covid, so I'm a little behind on the audiobooks at the moment.

I've been waiting for the Stephen Fry recording of Black Hearts Rising, but as it doesn't look like it will appear any time soon, I'll get back to my Kindle version of it.

And it's always good to get to know the thread contributors a little better.

Reactions: ob
I've been waiting for the Stephen Fry recording of Black Hearts Rising, but as it doesn't look like it will appear any time soon, I'll get back to my Kindle version of it.
Ha ha, Stephen Fry, I wish.

I used to joke that all those who supported me in the early days would be welcomed as special guests at the opening of the Monkey Arkwright ride at Universal Studios, but those dreams are long faded.

Best of luck with your running - it's something I'm not built for but I do enjoy a good walk and I guess running helps clear your had in the same way walking does.

I’m well behind on my reading. Read a couple of Steinbecks but then somehow misplaced Sweet Thursday half way through, thought I might have left it at work on a night shift but seemingly not…

So I picked up To Kill a Mockingbird from a charity shop. Not quite what I was expecting being written from a child’s point of view but very good anyway, I can see what all the fuss is about.

I like courtroom based books as a rule but have become a bit tired of Grisham’s melodrama, have read all the Lincoln Lawyer series which are very good, especially when there is interplay with Bosch (Michael Connolly for those who don’t know). Any recommendations for courtroom books would be appreciated.

I’m currently reading Ruins by Mat Osman, bass player in Suede and brother of Richard Osman. I had no idea he’d written a book till I saw it in a book shop. It’s well written, dual narrative about a washed up rock star who gets shot and killed and his autistic brother attempting to unravel what happened.

Think I’ll have a look at Monkey Arkwright next, will download to the kindle. I’ve heard it’s OK
Speaking as a Steinbeck bore I rate Sweet Thursday very highly. Could be worth picking up a second hand copy for a few quid so you can finish it.

Speaking as a Steinbeck bore I rate Sweet Thursday very highly. Could be worth picking up a second hand copy for a few quid so you can finish it.
I’ve not given up hope of finding it but if I don’t I will get another copy and pick up where I left off

Just finished A Time For Mercy by John Grisham. Enjoyed this court room drama and would give it 4 out of 5. Thought ending almost a little rushed but would recommend it if like Grisham books. My next paperback is David Baldacci One Good Deed. Looking forward to this as can't ever remember reading any of his before

It's been a while since I've updated, have read 3 books in the meantime..

1. Serpentine - Jonathan Kellerman. Decent read 6/10
  2. A Touch of Daniel - Peter Tinniswood 9.5/10
  3. I didn’t know you cared - Peter Tinniswood 9/10
  4. Beyond - Stephen Walker 9.5/10
  5. Around The World in 80 Days - Jules Verne 7/10
  6. Hermit - S R White 8/10
  7. Opal Country - Chris Hammer 8/10
Around The World in 80 Days - Jules Verne
I haven’t read one of the traditional classics for ages and I was prompted to read this following the recent series which starred David Tennant. However, showing my age, my first recollection of the story is through the David Niven film. It is a cracking story and it’s easy to see why it transfers well to the screen. 7/10

Hermit - S R White

9B3644F1-BBB4-46E6-B460-2B50C144AA71_4_5005_c.jpeg

At first sight this seems like a routine thriller with murder victim and prime suspect in the first few pages. Add in a troubled cop and it seems to tick all the normal boxes. Set in Australia, the story takes place over the course of a day during which the troubled cop conducts a series of interviews with the suspect, a man who had been off the grid for 15 years until the day of the murder, the hermit of the title. Both the cop and suspect have “issues’ and it makes for an unusual and compelling approach to story telling. 8/10

Opal Country - Chris Hammer

25546086-4888-420B-8210-FF4CD10E00FC_4_5005_c.jpeg

I didn’t intend to read another Aussie thriller but it was only 99p for Kindle at the time. This is Chris Hammer’s 4th book and again shows him to be one of the top writers of Aussie noir.
Set in the desolate outback town of Finnigan’s Gap an opal miner is found crucified and left to rot down his mine. A homicide detective from the city is sent to investigate, assisted by an inexperienced investigator. If you’re a fan of Jane Harper I’m sure you’ll like this one. 8/10

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.