Reading Challenge 2022

You're missing out. I wasn't sure about reading them either, but I did and I think they're the best books he's ever written.
Ok ta. I enjoyed both books of his that I've read. I'll add these to my extensive book waiting list.

Ok ta. I enjoyed both books of his that I've read. I'll add these to my extensive book waiting list.
I think books are unique in this respect.

If somebody recommends a song or an album, it's no bother spending an hour giving it a spin. Similar with a film but a bit longer. But with books, you've got to REALLY want to read it AND really want to read it MORE than a lot of other stuff you're interested in. It can be a big investment in time.

I think books are unique in this respect.

If somebody recommends a song or an album, it's no bother spending an hour giving it a spin. Similar with a film but a bit longer. But with books, you've got to REALLY want to read it AND really want to read it MORE than a lot of other stuff you're interested in. It can be a big investment in time.
That's why I have at least 250 books on my "to read" shelf.

Haven't had much time to read since I had kids (other than children's books of course).

Have managed to read Mythos and Heroes by Stephen Fry over the past few months and both are fantastic. The Greek Gods are incredible and although a lot of the myths and legend were plagiarised (like all religions) from earlier sources it was the fact that their stories were written by poets and are quite remarkable. So many of the biblical stories can find their origins in Greek mythology.

Fry has an excellent way of telling the stories, adding in his own humour and dialogue and giving interesting footnotes to explain the etymology of certain words we still use today. Etymology itself is derived from Greek of course.

The Greek Gods were quite devious bastards at times and I love it.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is the only other book I've managed recently. One of my all-time favourites so not the first time I've read it. Hosseini's best book in my opinion. Shame he hasn't written more.

The Stranger Times by C. K. McDonnell

To escape the failure of her marriage and what her life has become since, Hannah Willis has found herself a new job. Not the one she really wanted but beggars can’t be choosers. So what’s involved being the assistant editor of a periodical reporting on the weird, supernatural and other things that go bump in the night? Having to put up with a foul-mouthed, foul-tempered sop of a boss for one. Also investigating the suspicious death of young would-be reporter Simon that police have deemed a suicide. Can Hannah, her boss and the rest of the staff find out what’s really going on before the body count begins to rise even further? Not forgetting that they still have to publish this week’s issue.

Urban fantasy set in Manchester, how could I refuse? And with the many good reviews of the author’s work recently I thought I’d dip my toe in with this one and what a good choice it was. I would set it closer to the Rivers of London end of the UF spectrum rather than the Dresden Files with the cutting dialogue providing much of the humour. The characters are well drawn with hints (and more) of back-story for each of them maybe to be examined further in subsequent books (a 2nd is already available). It takes a while to set things up and there’s a few detours on the way but this is a fun adventure and a fine first foray into a different setting for the author. 4★'s

Standing Alone by Sam Lee, Daniel Taylor & Oliver Kay

Mainly a collection of articles written during the 2020/2021 football season of Manchester City FC. Starting from the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport to the Champions League final at the end of May, this is a monthly examination of the key events that occurred during the season. It ends with descriptions of the players from some coaches from earlier in their career in a |”those who moulded them” retrospective.

This was not a book that I would seek to own as the press, from which the authors originate, usually incorporate the negative aspect when reporting on City. But, as it was a Christmas present I felt obliged to get around to reading it. While there is still some of that less than enthusiastic style to the articles the book is directed mainly at the City fandom and so there are some really nice chapters. The one on Guardiola & Bielsa’s relationship in particular is a nice piece. 3½★'s

Book No 12 for 2022

51B1F71A-9574-48E6-9A64-47AE5AB3F834_4_5005_c.jpeg

I bought this book in Waterstones “Read for Ukraine” promotion and also because I was curious to learn a bit about Poznan.
In 2016, the author decided to move to Poland for a year to find out why so many Poles were coming to the UK and what they had left behind. He flew to a place he'd never heard of and then accepted a job in a chip shop on the minimum wage.
I was really disappointed with this book, I felt that l didn’t learn much about Poland or Poznan; it seems the reason many were coming to the UK was for the money which he could probably have found out by asking a couple of Poles over here! He seemed to spend much of his time drunk/hungover or pining for a girl. To be fair, there were a couple of interesting parts and it is apparent that the author developed a genuine affection for the country but for me it was an opportunity missed. 4/10
Back to thrillers and historical fiction for me!

Die A Little by Megan Abbott

A noir debut set in 1950’s Hollywood with a sister, Lora, having suspicions of her brother’s new wife, Alice, not being quite who she seemed. When suspicious characters start materialising into their life and inconsistencies in Alice’s story then maybe it’s time for Lora to find out what’s really going on.

This is an incredibly slow-paced story with about 90% of the book being setup until the final rushed ending. Although the writing was good and the setting quite atmospheric and evocative of the time period I just wanted something to actually happen. The character’s though are a little flat and I cared little about who would or wouldn’t make it to the end. All this being said, I did finish it as I still wanted to find out what happened in the end and won’t be giving up on the author as I know she is highly rated and this was just her debut effort. 3★'s

I've finally taken the bait and bought a copy of Ulysses.
Seems,from what I've heard,that finishing it is more important than enjoying it.
I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.