Reading Challenge 2022

I’m going to invest some time into taking note and posting in this thread, as I made it my year’s goal to pick up books again instead of brain-drain TV.

I’ve managed to read a few this year, now. Having the benefit of teaching primary children, I also enjoy some good children’s novels to see what will land with the class, or what we can read for pleasure, and some of the stories are just as gripping and well-written in their own way.

I’ve read;

Nedum Onouha’s autobiography:
A good read, didn’t labour too many points and enjoyed his perspective on all of the change at City.

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown:
We read this as a class. A real favourite with inspiration draw from Ted Hughes’s Iron Man (a childhood favourite of my own). Some powerful messages, some really short and effective chapters. We’re now on his sequel at the end of the day.

The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson:
A short story/book that piqued interest when I heard someone compare a situation to that of the one in the story, so found it out. Interesting concept of happiness, mortality and desire.

The Honest Truth by Dan Geimenhert:
Again, a children’s novel, addressing that not every child has the same experience or start to childhood. A boy with cancer chooses to die his own way - climbing a mountain. Hard-hitting in its young, child-like perspective. I enjoyed the emotional ride.

Currently reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, but my word I’m finding it drab. Also have Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult on the go. A better read, with a three person perspective from the storyline.

I also have The Lost Highlander on order. About a Scottsman who spent days adrift the ocean when that WWII ship was sunk in the ocean and hundreds had been picked off by sharks, gunned down or died of dehydration. He survived only to be taken to another prisoner of war camp. I think that’s the premise, however some people have doubted his accuracy in his story telling and wonder how much he embellished. I’m looking forward to this, as I enjoy WW books and films.

Apologies for the info dump. It feels good to have been productive again this year and find some desire to read again. I will post more frequently as opposed to dumping like this!
Good stuff. Just to let you know that we have a 2023 thread running now, so it’s best to post in there in the future.

1. Cunning Folk – Adam L.G. Nevill - 8/10
  2. Bad Apples – Will Dean – 7/10
  3. The Winter Road – Adrian Selby – 6/10
  4. The Dark Place – Damian Vargas – 9/10
  5. Act of Oblivion – Robert Harris – 7/10
  6. The Tyranny of Faith – Richard Swan – 7/10
  7. The Game – Micah Richards – 8/10
  8. The Ticket Collector from Belarus – Mike Anderson and Neil Hanson – 8/10
  9. The Satsuma Complex – Bob Mortimer – 6/10
  10. Notes on an Execution – Danya Kukafka – 9/10
Notes-on-an-execution.jpg

I finished Notes on an Execution last week and my 9/10 should tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't know how many are still reading it so I'll hold off with my full thoughts for a while.

1. Cunning Folk – Adam L.G. Nevill - 8/10
  2. Bad Apples – Will Dean – 7/10
  3. The Winter Road – Adrian Selby – 6/10
  4. The Dark Place – Damian Vargas – 9/10
  5. Act of Oblivion – Robert Harris – 7/10
  6. The Tyranny of Faith – Richard Swan – 7/10
  7. The Game – Micah Richards – 8/10
  8. The Ticket Collector from Belarus – Mike Anderson and Neil Hanson – 8/10
  9. The Satsuma Complex – Bob Mortimer – 6/10
  10. Notes on an Execution – Danya Kukafka – 9/10
View attachment 81277

I finished Notes on an Execution last week and my 9/10 should tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't know how many are still reading it so I'll hold off with my full thoughts for a while.

@RobMCFC i think you've put this into the 2022 thread!

Harbour - John Ajvide Lindqvist 4/5.

Very Stephen King ish. Reminded me of Pet Semetary& Stand By Me. Had previously read Little Star by this author and was very underwhelmed by that. The only thing that let this down was the end (which I find a lot in horror novels).

Harbour - John Ajvide Lindqvist 4/5.

Very Stephen King ish. Reminded me of Pet Semetary& Stand By Me. Had previously read Little Star by this author and was very underwhelmed by that. The only thing that let this down was the end (which I find a lot in horror novels).
I have read Let the right one in by the author.
A brilliant horror.

Read all of Terry Goodkind books apart from Children of D'Hara series read 2 of them and very good if you like his work writing.. also I don’t realise he past-away 2020 lost another good writer so sad only 72 as well…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.