Reading Challenge 2022

My final 2 books for 2022

The Counterfeit Candidate - Brian Klein

76F9B240-89B6-457A-894F-041D334CDA70.jpeg

This book is best described as a “What if” thriller. The "what if" being Hitler along with Eva Braun and Martin Bormann escaping to South America at the end of WW2.
Almost 70 years after the war, 3 men carry out an audacious safe depository heist of a Buenos Aires escaping with more than one hundred million dollars' worth of valuables.
Meanwhile over in America, Senator John Franklin secures the Republican Presidential nomination.
These three narratives are all linked and the author weaves an interesting and compelling story around them. Pure hokum of course but a decent read, especially for conspiracy theorists!
This is the debut novel of this author and was written during lockdown. A follow-up novel “The Fuhrer’s Prophecy” is due out shortly.

The Shadow Murders - Jussi Adler-Olsen

F961340B-EEAC-441C-884B-669172D66D5D.jpeg

This is the 9th book in the Department Q series. Department Q is a cold case division in the Copenhagen Police Department. Whilst it isn’t necessary to read the books in order as all the books are standalone (I’ve read 4 or 5) but it may help you get to know the characters and their back stories as they feature in all the books.
This story starts with the suicide of a woman on her 60th birthday. When the case lands on Detective Carl Mørck's desk, he can't imagine what this has to do with Department Q. It's a tragedy to be sure, but the cause of death seems to be clear. But his superior, Marcus Jacobsen, is convinced that this is not in fact a suicide, but a murder related to an unsolved case that has been plaguing him since 1988.
At Marcus' behest, Carl and the Department Q gang - Rose, Assad, and Gordon—reluctantly begin to investigate and quickly discover that Marcus is on to something.
For fans of Scandi noir, recommended.

These were my 31st and 32nd reads this year, I will post a full list separately later. Hope to hear what everyone is reading in 2023.

My final 2 books for 2022

The Counterfeit Candidate - Brian Klein

View attachment 64906

This book is best described as a “What if” thriller. The "what if" being Hitler along with Eva Braun and Martin Bormann escaping to South America at the end of WW2.
Almost 70 years after the war, 3 men carry out an audacious safe depository heist of a Buenos Aires escaping with more than one hundred million dollars' worth of valuables.
Meanwhile over in America, Senator John Franklin secures the Republican Presidential nomination.
These three narratives are all linked and the author weaves an interesting and compelling story around them. Pure hokum of course but a decent read, especially for conspiracy theorists!
This is the debut novel of this author and was written during lockdown. A follow-up novel “The Fuhrer’s Prophecy” is due out shortly.

The Shadow Murders - Jussi Adler-Olsen

View attachment 64907

This is the 9th book in the Department Q series. Department Q is a cold case division in the Copenhagen Police Department. Whilst it isn’t necessary to read the books in order as all the books are standalone (I’ve read 4 or 5) but it may help you get to know the characters and their back stories as they feature in all the books.
This story starts with the suicide of a woman on her 60th birthday. When the case lands on Detective Carl Mørck's desk, he can't imagine what this has to do with Department Q. It's a tragedy to be sure, but the cause of death seems to be clear. But his superior, Marcus Jacobsen, is convinced that this is not in fact a suicide, but a murder related to an unsolved case that has been plaguing him since 1988.
At Marcus' behest, Carl and the Department Q gang - Rose, Assad, and Gordon—reluctantly begin to investigate and quickly discover that Marcus is on to something.
For fans of Scandi noir, recommended.

These were my 31st and 32nd reads this year, I will post a full list separately later. Hope to hear what everyone is reading in 2023.
I've had the 1st of the Dept. Q series on my tbr shelves for ages. Just never seem to get around to it being my next to read pick. Will have to change that soon.

2023 thread started:-

Reactions: ob
Sorry for resurrecting last year's thread but some time ago I promised a catchup post for the missing bboks that finished off my year. I hate to disappoint so here it is, finally.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

Classic science fiction where an emissary from the federation of human inhabited planets attempts to negotiate with representatives of another planet to join them. Although this new world is also populated with people of human origin, they have taken a different evolutionary path in order to survive in the harsh environments. The main difference being sex/gender. Apart from a few days each month they don’t have one until they pair off when one becomes female and the other male. Initial overtures from the emissary, Genly Ai, had gone well but when his main supporter to the leader of the largest community is discredited and banished Genly decides it might be more prudent to try an alternative..Things don’t go as planned there either.

Originally published in 1969 this book is classed as a seminal work of the feminist movement as it challenges the reader to examine their gender bias where even the main character predominantly thinks of the androgynous people as male. It’s a beautifully written book and the world-building is superb. Not only is this a first-contact story but it also has political intrigue at both settlements the protagonist attempts to negotiate with but there’s a real sense of adventure and camaraderie as the story progresses. An excellent read well worth its classic status. 4½★'s

Some quick catch-up reviews

Song of Susannah by Stephen King

Sixth and penultimate book in The Dark Tower series sees the Ka-Tet split up with Susannah (under the influence of Mia) headed back to New York to deliver her baby while Jake and Oy along with Father Callahan follow after. Meanwhile Roland and Eddie try to resolve the fate of a certain plot of land.

Not the best book in the series but it sets up the finale by ending on a cliff-hanger. 3½★'s

Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon

Autobiography that starts with the break-up of both her marriage and the band she was an integral part of for 30 years before retreating to events of her childhood and growing up and on to the rest of the story of her life. Plenty of name-dropping with collaborations both in her artwork and her music but the narrative is fairly devoid of emotion. I think I was just hoping for a little more. 3★'s

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

Fourth in the Flavia de Luce country house mystery series where the Jane Marple character is replaced by a young girl. This instalment sees a film company infest the house in order for Flavia’s father to raise money for some much needed repairs and running costs. The crew along with most of the village who’ve come to witness an impromptu performance from the production’s two stars get snowed in when the weather takes a nasty turn and it’s not long before a murder ensues. With so many people in residence the local police (and also Flavia, of course) will have plenty to do to catch the murderer. Flavia also wants to prove/disprove the existence of Father Christmas. Can she unmask the killer and find out if Santa is real or not?

I’ve been picking at this series on occasion as it’s very endearing and looks at the genre from an unusual perspective. I did feel though that some of the charm had gone missing in this one. All the usual elements seemed to be there but it just wasn’t quite as captivating as the previous stories for me. 3½★'s

Year end stats and summary:

Total books read: 37

Primary Tag:
Science Fiction 16
Crime/Thriller 8
Urban Fantasy 3
Fantasy 3
Non-Fiction 3
General Fiction 2
Humour 1
Horror 1

Original Language:
English 35
Russian 1
Swedish 1

Author Gender: (repeats not counted, multiple authors counted seperately)
Male 27
Female 8

Ratings:
4½★'s 5
4★'s 7
3½★'s 16
3★'s 7
2½★'s 1
Unrated 1

Least favourite book of the year
Extras by Scott Westerfeld – Felt more like a cash-in on a series than a needed continuation.

Favourite book of the year
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin - Deserving of its classic status/

Last edited:
Finished Bob No Ordinary Cat this afternoon. Not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it. My other half bought me it for Christmas due to fact we have got a rescue cat and don't know it's history just like the one in the book. Ours was rescued from a burnt out house in which the owners died. She lived on in the house as a stray for about 18 months until rescued. No one knows her name or what age she is. She's got called Phoenix and they think about 10. We've had her for almost 2 years now. Anyway I loved it lol. Started The Cross by Steve Cavanagh as recommended on here.

Got 6 of Agatha Christie's plays for Christmas, we well as a biography on her and her autobiography. Have so far read The Mousetrap and Witness for the Prosecution. Both excellent stories but I have seen them already so pretty much knew the story. Just started on Spider's Web, which is a story I don't know.

I read mainly in Czech to keep my language level up, so don't mind reading books that I have already read in English, or ones that I know the story of. Looking forward to getting to the autobiography but will work my way through the plays first.

I’m going to invest some time into taking note and posting in this thread, as I made it my year’s goal to pick up books again instead of brain-drain TV.

I’ve managed to read a few this year, now. Having the benefit of teaching primary children, I also enjoy some good children’s novels to see what will land with the class, or what we can read for pleasure, and some of the stories are just as gripping and well-written in their own way.

I’ve read;

Nedum Onouha’s autobiography:
A good read, didn’t labour too many points and enjoyed his perspective on all of the change at City.

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown:
We read this as a class. A real favourite with inspiration draw from Ted Hughes’s Iron Man (a childhood favourite of my own). Some powerful messages, some really short and effective chapters. We’re now on his sequel at the end of the day.

The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson:
A short story/book that piqued interest when I heard someone compare a situation to that of the one in the story, so found it out. Interesting concept of happiness, mortality and desire.

The Honest Truth by Dan Geimenhert:
Again, a children’s novel, addressing that not every child has the same experience or start to childhood. A boy with cancer chooses to die his own way - climbing a mountain. Hard-hitting in its young, child-like perspective. I enjoyed the emotional ride.

Currently reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, but my word I’m finding it drab. Also have Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult on the go. A better read, with a three person perspective from the storyline.

I also have The Lost Highlander on order. About a Scottsman who spent days adrift the ocean when that WWII ship was sunk in the ocean and hundreds had been picked off by sharks, gunned down or died of dehydration. He survived only to be taken to another prisoner of war camp. I think that’s the premise, however some people have doubted his accuracy in his story telling and wonder how much he embellished. I’m looking forward to this, as I enjoy WW books and films.

Apologies for the info dump. It feels good to have been productive again this year and find some desire to read again. I will post more frequently as opposed to dumping like this!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.