Reading Challenge 2022

Just finished The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave, about 3.5 out of 5. Thiller about bloke just disappeared. Downloaded and starting The Quaker by Liam McIlvanney

1. The Spirit Engineer - A.J.West - 7/10
2. The Lost Man - Jane Harper - 8/10

The Lost Man.jpg

This is the third year in a row that I’ve read a Jane Harper book early on. Her third book, The Lost Man, is another whodunnit set in Australia. In this case, the story takes place in a remote farming community in Queensland, where the body of one of three brothers has been found out on his land. We see events through the eyes of oldest brother, Nathan, who along with youngest sibling, Bub, finds the body of middle brother, Cameron. It’s suggested early on that Nathan has a troubled past and there are plenty of other suspects including a couple of backpackers who work on the farm, reliable old Harry who has worked on the farm for years, Cameron’s wife, Ilse, who also has a shared past with Nathan, and Nathan’s son who’s visiting his dad.

I really enjoyed this one – you get a real sense of the desolation of life in the outback and the danger that living in such an environment can bring to everyday life. It’s also a little different in that there are no detectives trying to work out what happened, the story being teased out by conversations between family members and a few other people who happen to be around. Whilst the cast is limited, I still didn’t guess what had happened until the reveal but it made perfect sense in the end. There’s also a nice link to The Dry because if you pay close attention, you’ll spot that Nathan’s mother is Mal Deacon’s brother – Ellie’s dad from the first book.

@RobMCFC not looking at your post as I have about 80 pages left in The Lost Man
Fair enough. I knew somebody on here mentioned they were reading it so I made sure that I didn't give anything away (not that I would anyway!)

Reactions: ob
Time to catch up on what I've been actually reading I guess. Started the year with M. R. Carey's Rampart trilogy which comprises...

The Book of Koli

A post-apocalytic novel set in the village of Mythen Rood surrounded by walls and run by those who can "wake" the old technology, especially the weapons. These weapns are needed to defend the community as pretty much everything outside the walls are trying to kill them and that includes the trees. Koli and his two closest friends are coming up on their testing soon to see if they can wake the tech but before that date comes he learns a secret from Ursala (a wandering traveller/doctor) that will shock him to his core and change his destiny forever.

The next two sections will contain spoilers for the first book so I' just going to put it all under spoiler tags. Read at your own peril.

With the decision to head to London in hopes of tracking the signal the group set out on a long journey. None of them really happy about their current circumstances. Unfortunately, they don't get too far before they are waylaid by a cult made from the Faceless and Koli gets selected for a prime assignment. We also get to follow what's happening in the village of Mythen Rood as Spinner is added to narration duties.

The Sword of Albion turns out to be something completely different than whatever anyone of the group expected. Instead of London (which now lies completely submerged) they find themselves at the mercy of a trio that seems to be all that remains on a massive ship. At least Ursala may have found what she wants though even if the three residents of the ship seem more than a little odd. Can Koli and his friends get what they want before more trouble finds them?

Overall thoughts on the trilogy

Although I enjoyed the trilogy overall I found that it didn't quite live up to expectations after having read The Girl With All the Gifts. Though with the latter being an exceptional book that's not too surprising really. It’s Carey so still a good and interesting read though aimed more at the YA market. It's written mostly in a devolved language where Koli is the narrator starting from when he was a 14-year-old boy. His friend Spinner and others are added to narration duties from the second book onwards. It's a little jarring when segments of the story are written in a more recognisable tone, though this juxtaposition is kind of explained after concluding the whole trilogy. A few too many other plot holes remain after it’s all over though to be entirely satisfying. 3½★'s for each book I think.

I stayed on a YA kick for my next read too.

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

With the approach of the Uglies Netflix movie getting closer I thought it was time to return to that particular universe with this add-on book to the original trilogy. We start in a new city and with a new set of characters, although some familiar faces make their appearance later in the book. Aya Fuse lives in a city where reputation is everything and video-blogging is a way to get massive recognition and credits. Aya has filmed what she thinks are some good stories but so far nothing has gone viral and hit the big time. Her face rank is a lowly 451,369 and to compete with her successful older brother, Hiro, Aya will need to break the top 1,000 like he’s just done. Luckily for her she has uncovered what could be the scoop of the century by stumbling on a clique who pull dangerous stunts in total anonymity. Can she infiltrate the Sly Girls, get footage and break the story? And if she does will Aya be ready for what follows if she becomes famous and leaves the Extras life behind?

It’s interesting to take a look at a different part of the Uglies universe and the after-effects of what happened in the previous book in the series. Introducing it through a new character’s eyes was also the right way for the author to go. Unfortunately it seems to have left a lot of the excitement of previous books behind even though Aya’s adventures take her on some very unexpected pathways. It just feels like a step towards a younger audience than even the original trilogy had. Half-formed basic characters bounce from one encounter to the next and even when those we’ve met previously do show up they are almost unrecognisable from their previous incarnations. I now have serious doubts of continuing to the new trilogy.2½★

What Abigail Did That Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

A story set in the [[[Rivers of London]]] series with Peter Grant’s young cousin, Abigail Kamara, as protagonist and narrator as she investigates the disappearances of other teenagers from Hampstead Heath. Her ability to converse with foxes is put to full use when she discovers one who’s been set to watch over her has greater resources that Abigail can utilise.

This is a fun tale that could have implications for later in the main series or even set in motion a full spin-off series for Abigail herself but that would be too spoilery to go into in this review. There’s footnotes provided from the Folly’s librarian to help decipher some of Abigail’s colloquial expressions and pop-culture references. This is definitely Abigail’s story as the only time that Peter is mentioned is to explain his absence (this story takes place at the same time as [Foxglove Summer]) or compare methodologies. Nightingale does pop up occasionally though. I don’t usually shell out for novella’s (or short novels as this one is classed as) but I had space left on a gift card and I’ve ended up being glad I did. 3½★

NB. ★ ratings are given out of 5 (a crossover from Librarything)

Guide to my ratings

★ - Didn't like the story or the style of writing
★★ - Didn't really like it but has some redeeming qualities
★★★ - A decent to ok read
★★★★- Very good
★★★★★ - Excellent

Time to catch up on what I've been actually reading I guess. Started the year with M. R. Carey's Rampart trilogy which comprises...

The Book of Koli

A post-apocalytic novel set in the village of Mythen Rood surrounded by walls and run by those who can "wake" the old technology, especially the weapons. These weapns are needed to defend the community as pretty much everything outside the walls are trying to kill them and that includes the trees. Koli and his two closest friends are coming up on their testing soon to see if they can wake the tech but before that date comes he learns a secret from Ursala (a wandering traveller/doctor) that will shock him to his core and change his destiny forever.

The next two sections will contain spoilers for the first book so I' just going to put it all under spoiler tags. Read at your own peril.

With the decision to head to London in hopes of tracking the signal the group set out on a long journey. None of them really happy about their current circumstances. Unfortunately, they don't get too far before they are waylaid by a cult made from the Faceless and Koli gets selected for a prime assignment. We also get to follow what's happening in the village of Mythen Rood as Spinner is added to narration duties.

The Sword of Albion turns out to be something completely different than whatever anyone of the group expected. Instead of London (which now lies completely submerged) they find themselves at the mercy of a trio that seems to be all that remains on a massive ship. At least Ursala may have found what she wants though even if the three residents of the ship seem more than a little odd. Can Koli and his friends get what they want before more trouble finds them?

Overall thoughts on the trilogy

Although I enjoyed the trilogy overall I found that it didn't quite live up to expectations after having read The Girl With All the Gifts. Though with the latter being an exceptional book that's not too surprising really. It’s Carey so still a good and interesting read though aimed more at the YA market. It's written mostly in a devolved language where Koli is the narrator starting from when he was a 14-year-old boy. His friend Spinner and others are added to narration duties from the second book onwards. It's a little jarring when segments of the story are written in a more recognisable tone, though this juxtaposition is kind of explained after concluding the whole trilogy. A few too many other plot holes remain after it’s all over though to be entirely satisfying. 3½★'s for each book I think.

I stayed on a YA kick for my next read too.

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

With the approach of the Uglies Netflix movie getting closer I thought it was time to return to that particular universe with this add-on book to the original trilogy. We start in a new city and with a new set of characters, although some familiar faces make their appearance later in the book. Aya Fuse lives in a city where reputation is everything and video-blogging is a way to get massive recognition and credits. Aya has filmed what she thinks are some good stories but so far nothing has gone viral and hit the big time. Her face rank is a lowly 451,369 and to compete with her successful older brother, Hiro, Aya will need to break the top 1,000 like he’s just done. Luckily for her she has uncovered what could be the scoop of the century by stumbling on a clique who pull dangerous stunts in total anonymity. Can she infiltrate the Sly Girls, get footage and break the story? And if she does will Aya be ready for what follows if she becomes famous and leaves the Extras life behind?

It’s interesting to take a look at a different part of the Uglies universe and the after-effects of what happened in the previous book in the series. Introducing it through a new character’s eyes was also the right way for the author to go. Unfortunately it seems to have left a lot of the excitement of previous books behind even though Aya’s adventures take her on some very unexpected pathways. It just feels like a step towards a younger audience than even the original trilogy had. Half-formed basic characters bounce from one encounter to the next and even when those we’ve met previously do show up they are almost unrecognisable from their previous incarnations. I now have serious doubts of continuing to the new trilogy.2½★

What Abigail Did That Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

A story set in the [[[Rivers of London]]] series with Peter Grant’s young cousin, Abigail Kamara, as protagonist and narrator as she investigates the disappearances of other teenagers from Hampstead Heath. Her ability to converse with foxes is put to full use when she discovers one who’s been set to watch over her has greater resources that Abigail can utilise.

This is a fun tale that could have implications for later in the main series or even set in motion a full spin-off series for Abigail herself but that would be too spoilery to go into in this review. There’s footnotes provided from the Folly’s librarian to help decipher some of Abigail’s colloquial expressions and pop-culture references. This is definitely Abigail’s story as the only time that Peter is mentioned is to explain his absence (this story takes place at the same time as [Foxglove Summer]) or compare methodologies. Nightingale does pop up occasionally though. I don’t usually shell out for novella’s (or short novels as this one is classed as) but I had space left on a gift card and I’ve ended up being glad I did. 3½★

NB. ★ ratings are given out of 5 (a crossover from Librarything)

Guide to my ratings

★ - Didn't like the story or the style of writing
★★ - Didn't really like it but has some redeeming qualities
★★★ - A decent to ok read
★★★★- Very good
★★★★★ - Excellent
Nice graphical rating system there.

I must admit, whilst it probably takes a lot of talent to pull off, I don't like reading books that are written in a weird hydrid/made-up/colloquial language. As you say, it can be jarring and most of the time, I don't think it adds too much to the experience (other than a headache!) I don't mind when the author drops a couple of examples in to show how it sounds or give a flavour of how it's spoken, but after that, I'd rather they just stick to English.

This is where I'm at for 2022

1. Serpentine - Jonathan Kellerman. Decent read 6/10
  2. A Touch of Daniel - Peter Tinniswood 9.5/10
  3. I didn’t know you cared - Peter Tinniswood 9/10
I rarely re-read books but I have read these last two multiple times - they are so good! I found my copies whilst having a bit of a clear out after Christmas and couldn’t resist reading them one more time. A bit dated now but still very funny. Older Blue Mooners may remember the TV series based on these books. Pardon?

For my next read, a complete change, a rare (for me) foray into non-fiction

AD928A5C-BF16-4948-B79B-F17B5C83921B_4_5005_c.jpeg

1. March Violets by Philip Kerr

I had tried to get into the Bernie Gunther series in the past but I jumped in mid series which was probably a mistake so for the new year thought I would start off at the beginning and the first of the author’s Berlin noir three books in the Gunther series.

Set in the backdrop of the Berlin games it sets a tone of the city and country under the Nazis and our hero or maybe anti-hero is a private detective having left police investigation due to purges in staff.

What starts off as a double murder of an industrialists daughter and husband and the hunt to retrieve stolen gems slowly turns into something quite different.

Plenty of walk on parts for some of the nazi hierarchy with some very snappy Chandleresque dialogue and some not so snappy and great descriptions of pre war Berlin. Some of the sex scenes are laughable mind but don’t detract too much from a ver enjoyable book

I will be back for the next one later in the year.

A very solid 7/10

Next up the Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield (fiction)

Attachments

• AC130C92-AE1A-4560-A0AC-40A3192F7E86.jpeg
    AC130C92-AE1A-4560-A0AC-40A3192F7E86.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.