Reading Challenge 2022

My favourite authors from the crime genre that I've read so far are Chris Brookmyre (started with a humorous slant to his writing but took a more serious route later on), Ken Bruen (Irish Noir), Pierre Lemaitre (Verhœven trilogy, violent but so good) & Fred Vargas (slightly oddbeat characters but very enjoyable).

I've now moved on to the 2nd in Carey's Rampart trilogy. Really enjoyed the 1st so it's a no-brainer to continue and will probably move straight on to the final instalment of this post-apocalyptic story when I finish this one.
Loved Brookmyres early books they were almost comedy thrillers for want of a better description. An US writer called Carl Hiasson writes similar books based in Miami. You should try him

Loved Brookmyres early books they were almost comedy thrillers for want of a better description. An US writer called Carl Hiasson writes similar books based in Miami. You should try him
Tried a couple of Hiaasen's books and thought they were okay but nothing special. Similar feelng to Tim Dorsey. Colin Bateman is another similar writer who probably fits in with these guys who I found more to my likng.

Last edited:
My favourite authors from the crime genre that I've read so far are Chris Brookmyre (started with a humorous slant to his writing but took a more serious route later on), Ken Bruen (Irish Noir), Pierre Lemaitre (Verhœven trilogy, violent but so good) & Fred Vargas (slightly oddbeat characters but very enjoyable).

I've now moved on to the 2nd in Carey's Rampart trilogy. Really enjoyed the 1st so it's a no-brainer to continue and will probably move straight on to the final instalment of this post-apocalyptic story when I finish this one.
Forgot about Vargas. I have read all of hers, love them, as you say slightly oddball

@ob @Paladin

As a “thank you” for reading my books, I have set “The Mysterious Mr Gooch” to FREE for a few days from 8.00 AM tomorrow morning (just double-check that it is £0.00 before downloading because sometimes the Amazon timings can be slightly off - it all runs on Pacific Standard Time).

The book is a short story related to the trilogy and as long as you’ve read “Monkey Arkwright”, it can be read at any time without spoiling the main plot.
Many thanks @RobMCFC. I've downloaded it also. I'll read it shortly.

So, you like Tolkein and Dickens? - I've got just to book for you as it happens to be my favourite of all time - The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I recommended it on here last year and @Paladin enjoyed it.

It's set in the fantasy city of Camorr, which is clearly based on Venice .... but it's a little different to some fantasy books. It's about a group of con men who pull off outlandish cons. The "Dickensian" bit comes in the form of the back story where we find out about how a young Locke Lamora comes to live with a group of petty thieves and how he quickly outgrows them.

The story unfold in two timelines - then and now - and there are several genuine WTF plot moments. The prose is, of course, exceptional: I've never read a book like it and doubt I ever will again.

Anyway, even if you don't start with it, stick it on your list.

@Saddleworth2 - you have similar tastes to me - Tolkien, and Dickens is my favorite author. For modern stuff, I go for spy fiction and war biographies. I also enjoy historical fiction.

Rob recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, and I listened to it last year (I do a lot of running, and listen to many audiobooks). It was my favorite book of last year, and I would go as far as to say it is amongst my favorite books ever. I heartily recommend it.

My second favorite book from last year was Dominion by C J Sansom. This is an alternative history thriller, with the Nazis in power having won WW2.

Last edited:
@Saddleworth2 - you have similar tastes to me - Tolkien, and Dickens is my favorite author. For modern stuff, I go for spy fiction and war biographies. I also enjoy historical fiction.

Rob recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, and I listened to it last year (I do a lot of running, and listen to many audiobooks). It was my favorite book of last year, and I would go as far as to say it is amongst my favorite books ever. I heartily recommend it.

My second favorite book from last year was Dominion by C J Sansom. This is an alternative history thriller, with the Nazis in power having won WW2.
Ok. If two of you are recommending this I will try it. Thanks mate.

1. The Christmas Pig - J K Rowling - 6/10

Think Toy Story, with Rowling's imagination and story telling talent. Lost toys go to a hidden lost world until they are found again. Sometimes they aren't found though, so they remain in the lost world.

A boy loses his favorite toy, and gets the opportunity to enter the hidden world of the lost to rescue his lost toy. But there are perils and dangers to go through in order to find the lost toy, and then to bring it back to the land of the living.

It's a nice enough story. Kids of junior school age and younger will love it. I gave this a go as I enjoyed the Harry Potter books, and was reading a few Christmas books to put me in the festive mood.
b2d6681bbb3123cee29c971ebd406125.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.