Reading Challenge 2024

Just started a new book and got me hooked after a couple of chapters

The Silent Woods by Kimi Cunningham

A father and daughter living in the remote Appalachian mountains must reckon with the ghosts of their past in Kimi Cunningham Grant's These Silent Woods, a mesmerizing novel of suspense.

A Corruption of Blood by Ambrose Parry*

cover.jpg

Third in a series of historical mysteries set around the medical community of Edinburgh in the 1850’s. Sarah Fisher returns to Queen Street after an unsuccessful trip abroad and immediately finds herself embroiled in a baby trafficking mystery. Her usual investigative partner, Dr. Will Raven, seems pre-occupied with a new love that has sprung up in her absence so she might have to go it alone on this occasion. Meanwhile, Raven’s new love seeks his help for a childhood friend who stands accused of the murder of his father, one of the most prominent philanthropists around. Will their investigations cross paths and can they help each other out when they inevitably do?

The story combines real events and people and blends the fictitious parts in well to create an atmospheric tale that draws the reader in. It showcases a time and place where inequalities of class and sex were rife, where squalor was just around the corner from wealth and women were treated as inferior and were meant to know their place. The mystery elements are more than competently handled also with clues and red herrings inserted appropriately. A good continuation to the series. 4★'s

*Ambrose Parry is a pseudonym used by Chris Brookmyre & Masrisa Haetzman (a partnership in life as well as authorial duties)

Finally got around to in starting The Blade itself by Joe Abercrombi a quarter of the way through and am loving it the characters and can’t wait to see where the story goes..

Just finished The Scar by China Mieville. 4/5. Took me almost 3 weeks to slog through this but well worth it. The best of his I have read so far.
Thought the 1st book in the series, Perdido Street Station, was a tad better personally but The Scar certainly wasn't much of a comedown from there. Still have a couple of his works on my tbr shelf that I should get around to at some point.

Finally got around to in starting The Blade itself by Joe Abercrombi a quarter of the way through and am loving it the characters and can’t wait to see where the story goes..

Another author I should return to also but still need to add Red Country to my collection. Wasn't totally enamored with his YA trilogy but the other books of his that I've read I enjoyed quite a lot.

My favourite author and my favourite series.

Inquistor Glokta is my favourite character in any book, ever. In fact I don't think anybody writes characters as well as Joe Abercrombie.

If you like this, you are in for a treat. This trilogy, the three standalones that followed; a book of short stories set in the same world and then a new recent trilogy with some old characters and some new. All 10/10 quality.

I agree with @JRockBlues that the YA trilogy isn't as good as his other stuff, but it's not bad.

My favourite author and my favourite series.

Inquistor Glokta is my favourite character in any book, ever. In fact I don't think anybody writes characters as well as Joe Abercrombie.

If you like this, you are in for a treat. This trilogy, the three standalones that followed; a book of short stories set in the same world and then a new recent trilogy with some old characters and some new. All 10/10 quality.

I agree with @JRockBlues that the YA trilogy isn't as good as his other stuff, but it's not bad.

Robin Hobb her first 3 books are brilliant! I rarely reread books but her first three books I’ve read 3 times the only other books I’ve reread is the first three books of game of thrones!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.