Reading Challenge 2024

Downloaded and started reading Act of Oblivion

Started last night too. it crossed my mind to finally give in and getting a Kindle but in the end I got a hardcopy and treated myself to a better book light!

What's the etiquette on this folks, obviously no spoilers but are we discussing any aspects as we go along or are we waiting till everyone is done?

Started last night too. it crossed my mind to finally give in and getting a Kindle but in the end I got a hardcopy and treated myself to a better book light!

What's the etiquette on this folks, obviously no spoilers but are we discussing any aspects as we go along or are we waiting till everyone is done?
I'd like to wait as everyone will be at different parts of the book. I'm quite slow as some days busy and don't get to read

I’m aiming for 26 books in total this year after being inspired by this thread, watch far too much tv late in the evening and going back to reading instead.

Just finished #1 ‘A time to Kill’ by John Grisham.
Started #2 ‘fire & blood’ by George Martin.

With this and my running it’ll be a busy year.

Do audiobooks count….
Sure do. Half my books are audiobooks I listen to whilst running. I'm behind this year though, due to injury. I'm back running again, and hoping to report on my first two books of the year very soon.

Reactions: ob
Got through 39 books last year and two so far this month.

Currently have these on order.

ads-hjccoll-041122.jpg

Excellent interview with Chang here:

81Clzx7%20rFL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

This above is a philosophical take on conspiracy theorising but written in a very readable style.
I've seen some of your reading reports in other threads. I'm pleased you are sharing here too.

Mistakenly put this in the 2022 thread, so just moving it here:

Got 6 of Agatha Christie's plays for Christmas, we well as a biography on her and her autobiography. Have so far read The Mousetrap and Witness for the Prosecution. Both excellent stories but I have seen them already so pretty much knew the story. Just started on Spider's Web, which is a story I don't know.

I read mainly in Czech to keep my language level up, so don't mind reading books that I have already read in English, or ones that I know the story of. Looking forward to getting to the autobiography but will work my way through the plays first.
Finished all the AC plays. Really interesting as I have never read the plays before and they are quite quick reads without all the descriptive text. Pretty much just the dialogues and stage instructions.

Started the AC biography but gave up about a quarter of the way through. Very dull. Not sure if it was the author's writing style or the translation. The autobiography was an excellent read though but perhaps not quite what I expected. Well worth a read if you're a fan of hers.

In-between the plays and autobiography I read Prague Murders. Basically an in depth look at the notable murders in the city from the 1860s to 1945. It was in 2 quite substantial volumes (hopefully there will be further volumes bringing it to the present time) and both were excellent. Plenty of clippings from the newspapers at the time and photos of crimes scenes etc. A very engaging read.

Just starting 5 Dead dogs by Michael Sykora. I have seen the film and read most of his other stuff, so expecting to enjoy this.

Act of Oblivion.
Will join in with others when they are ready but i really liked it.8/10.Maybe even a 9.

Valdez is Coming.Elmore Leonard
Loved it as well
I love a good Western book and if you loved the movie you should read the book.
Tale of morality and justice in which a simple, honest man is transformed into a killer - and begins a long journey of revenge against those who scarred his soul for ever.

Brilliantly written and you can imagine the scenery in which this is based to make it one of the best Western novels I have read.9/10.

Attachments

• 9455718.jpg
    9455718.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2
Act of Oblivion.
Will join in with others when they are ready but i really liked it.8/10.Maybe even a 9.

Valdez is Coming.Elmore Leonard
Loved it as well
I love a good Western book and if you loved the movie you should read the book.
Tale of morality and justice in which a simple, honest man is transformed into a killer - and begins a long journey of revenge against those who scarred his soul for ever.

Brilliantly written and you can imagine the scenery in which this is based to make it one of the best Western novels I have read.9/10.
I've only read 1 of his westerns (Hombre) but do like his crime books, lots of which have been made into films or TV shows. He's one of the best writers I know for dialogue which helps create memorable characters.

Given that there's only been one nomination, somebody is already reading it , and a few more seem keen, I think we can name Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris as our first group read.

We'll see how this goes, but maybe we should aim to nominate one read every quarter. I'll add this to the thread title so that people can see it easily.
What's the jist of the novel Rob.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.