Reading Challenge 2024

You Like It Darker - Stephen King 9/10

C4EA6F39-826E-4810-9010-355DECB3B7FF_4_5005_c.jpeg

This is a collection of 12 short stories. Stephen King has been described as a great storyteller and on the basis of the stories in this book, it’s hard to disagree. This is a tremendous book. There isn’t a dud in the 12 stories and for me there are a few standouts namely, “Danny Coughlin’s Bad Dream”, “Rattlesnakes” and “The Answer Man”.

For those familiar with King’s work, “Rattlesnakes” is a sequel to his novel “Cujo”. An interesting note from the Afterword is that he started “The Answer Man” story when he was 30…and finished it at the age of 75.

I think King is often categorised as a horror writer but I feel that this is too simplistic. Yes there are elements of horror, but also science fiction, the supernatural and generally unexplained phenomena.

If you only read one book this year, make it this one!

View attachment 129306

This is a collection of 12 short stories. Stephen King has been described as a great storyteller and on the basis of the stories in this book, it’s hard to disagree. This is a tremendous book. There isn’t a dud in the 12 stories and for me there are a few standouts namely, “Danny Coughlin’s Bad Dream”, “Rattlesnakes” and “The Answer Man”.

For those familiar with King’s work, “Rattlesnakes” is a sequel to his novel “Cujo”. An interesting note from the Afterword is that he started “The Answer Man” story when he was 30…and finished it at the age of 75.

I think King is often categorised as a horror writer but I feel that this is too simplistic. Yes there are elements of horror, but also science fiction, the supernatural and generally unexplained phenomena.

If you only read one book this year, make it this one!
This is good to hear as I’ve already got this on my TBR list.

View attachment 129306

It's pretty simple to date King's work.

If it's decent he most likely wrote it pre-1990. If it's shite then it would be post-1990.

Reactions: ob
1. Unruly - David Mitchell - 9/10
2. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Blackman - 7/10
3. The Book of Doors - Gareth Brown - 8/10
4. Hitler's British Traitors - Tim Tate - 4/10
5. 1984 - George Orwell - 7/10
6. Big Beacon by Alan Partridge - Steve Coogan et al - 6/10
7. The Third Man - Graham Greene - 5/10
8. Politics on the Edge - Rory Stewart - 10/10

I was debating whether to give this a nine. I really enjoyed this book from cover to cover, and didn't want it to end. I can't think of a time I got more enjoyment from a book, so I gave it the full ten.

It's a memoir of the years spent in Parliament by the author, chronicling his fortunate selection, in which he benefits from the need for many brand new candidates following the expenses scandals of the 2000s, through to his being thrown out of the Conservative Party by Boris Johnson, following Johnson winning the leadership election.

Stewart comes across as a man of principles (which you might expect from an auto-biography), and as a highly capable administrator. He describes how he tried to make positive changes in all his junior and ministerial roles, despite incredible obstacles and opposition. You can see how he adapts his approach as he gains experience.

His working relationships with a number of senior ministers and PMs are interesting. Cameron tolerated him, and reluctantly rewarded him with some minor roles, although never really trusted him. Truss was his boss at one point, and was reluctant to give him any real authority. May was quiet and sincere, and allowed Stewart to get on with his jobs with little interference. It was obvious she trusted him as his reputation grew.

David Gauke, Nicholas Soames and Kenneth Clark became his political allies as he became a realistic challenger to Boris to be party leader in 2019. His campaign failed though, due to some unfortunate circumstances (being stitched up in TV debates and some political back stabbing).

Johnson, who he holds in high contempt, kicked Stewart out of the Conservative Party when he became PM. Stewart did not want to run as an independent, so he left active politics.

Regardless of political persuasion, this is a fascinating insight into modern politics. It's a shame Stewart is out of it.
cf08c68e24ca44ae91c0b0461cf33059.jpg
Thanks for recommendation mate, finished it today. As expected what a bunch of xxxx we had/have running the country

1. Unruly - David Mitchell - 9/10
2. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Blackman - 7/10
3. The Book of Doors - Gareth Brown - 8/10
4. Hitler's British Traitors - Tim Tate - 4/10
5. 1984 - George Orwell - 7/10
6. Big Beacon by Alan Partridge - Steve Coogan et al - 6/10
7. The Third Man - Graham Greene - 5/10
8. Politics on the Edge - Rory Stewart - 10/10
9. The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie - 7/10
10. Before They Are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie - 8/10

Another really enjoyable recommendation by @RobMCFC - thanks Rob.

In this episode, there are three primary strands to the overall picture. Glokta is sent to investigate the disappearance of his predecessor, whilst also charged with defending a city against an overwhelming invasion. Bayaz and his crew are adventuring south to find some magical artifact - a journey that is ultimately fruitless. West and a band of mercenaries join with each other to fight Bethod's invading Northmen.

Characters are brilliantly depicted, and so many of them become favourites. Some, sadly but inevitably, perish.

The story advances between the three main strands effortlessly, and as we jump between them, they are each as engaging as their predecessor.

The scene is set for the final book of the trilogy, which I'm looking forward to picking up soon.
3ddfe91db267656d289d583d1bb3f172.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.