Reading Challenge 2024

Got through 39 books last year and two so far this month.

Currently have these on order.

ads-hjccoll-041122.jpg

Excellent interview with Chang here:

81Clzx7%20rFL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

This above is a philosophical take on conspiracy theorising but written in a very readable style.

For this year I think I might try and catch up a little with old friends by concentrating on some of the many series I have ongoing. Maybe even finish a few if possible or at least bring some up to date. It won't be my only reading though as I'll still be picking off the odd stand-alone book from my tbr shelves or get distracted by the shiny & new.

Lamentation by C. J. Sansom
0330511041.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sixth book in the Shardlake series of historical mysteries. Everybody’s favourite hunch-backed lawyer once again finds himself embroiled in court intrigue when Catherine Parr asks him to find a book she’d rather not see the light of day. Stolen from a locked box to which only she has a key and the title page having been found clutched in the hand of a murdered printer Shardlake is tasked with finding the book and why it’s not yet seen the light of day. For if it does she would most likely follow the path of Henry’s previous wives and supporters of the Protestant faith that currently hold sway would be discredited at a time crucial to the future of the kingdom as the king draws near death.

The fictitious mystery is cleverly woven in with actual events of the time being set in the time of Anne Askew’s burning and includes mostly real people. Weighing in at over 700 pages this is another brick but there is hardly any let up in the suspense as the mystery unfolds. Although I’d guessed part of the ending I didn’t quite get to all of it. Another quality entry into a very good series. One more book to go! 4★'s

The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross
0356502384.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

After surviving his first couple of adventures as a Laundry Files field agent, Bob Howard has been promoted to SSO and has been tasked with attending a joint-liaison meeting in Germany with other EU agencies which perform similar tasks to his own organisation. Things quickly head sideways though when after arriving at his hotel he meets Ramona, an American assassin who also happens to be a succubus who works for the Black Chamber, and they’re supposed to be working together. Firstly to disrupt what’s about to go down and then to stop an evil genius who is about to raise something from the sea floor which shouldn’t be seeing the light of day. If this was the mission all along then why wasn’t he briefed?

James Bond meets H. P. Lovecraft with a dollop of geekdom thrown in for good measure make this an enjoyable continuation of this urban fantasy series. Bob & Ramona are great characters who play off each other really well and when you add Mo to the mix it really ramps up the ante. The villain is suitably Bondian through necessity as it’s all plot-driven and the author really exploits all the foibles you usually find in that franchise.

As with the first book there is also a short story with Bob back in the office with HR on his back. This time around he gets lumbered with an intern who does exactly what Bob tells him not to do and ends up trapped in an MMORPG. Unfortunately for Bob this particular intern got the position through nepotism and if he wants to avoid some nasty repercussions then he’s going to have to rescue him.

The way the series has started it could be a rival to the Dresden books for my favourite of the genre. 4★'s

At the start of this thread, I mentioned the possibility of somebody nominating a book that we could all read and comment on. Quite a few people seemed keen on the idea, so let's start the ball rolling and see what we can come up with.

Thinking about the type of book we read (as a group), I think that the following genres come up often:-

- History (war and espionage)
- Police procedurals/crime investigation
- Espionage fiction
- Stephen King - technically not a genre, but he is popular in here!
- Fantasy (a few of us)

Anybody care to shout out a few suggestions as to what might make a good group read?
I think that a standalone book with 400 pages or less would make a good candidate.

Just to re-iterate, if we do decide to go ahead with this, I don't want anybody feel that they have to join in in order to continue posting on this thread! Committing to a book means a good chunk of hours (and maybe expense) so it's entirely optional, and I want people to continue to post freely on here whether they decide to join in with the communal book or not.

At the start of this thread, I mentioned the possibility of somebody nominating a book that we could all read and comment on. Quite a few people seemed keen on the idea, so let's start the ball rolling and see what we can come up with.

Thinking about the type of book we read (as a group), I think that the following genres come up often:-

- History (war and espionage)
- Police procedurals/crime investigation
- Espionage fiction
- Stephen King - technically not a genre, but he is popular in here!
- Fantasy (a few of us)

Anybody care to shout out a few suggestions as to what might make a good group read?
I think that a standalone book with 400 pages or less would make a good candidate.

Just to re-iterate, if we do decide to go ahead with this, I don't want anybody feel that they have to join in in order to continue posting on this thread! Committing to a book means a good chunk of hours (and maybe expense) so it's entirely optional, and I want people to continue to post freely on here whether they decide to join in with the communal book or not.

This is my suggestion...it fails one of the suggested criteria in that it is over 400 pages long and probably a selfish choice - it is a book I have had on my "to read" list since it was released and think it could be an interesting choice. I appreciate that historical fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea.

31880F3F-96E2-4EE6-840F-49C8E1526ACC.png

It is the latest release from Robert Harris who is probably better known for WW2 fiction and was well received on release.

"1660. Colonel Edward Whalley and his son-in-law, Colonel William Goffe, cross the Atlantic. They are on the run and wanted for the murder of Charles I. Under the provisions of the Act of Oblivion, they have been found guilty in absentia of high treason.

In London, Richard Nayler, secretary of the regicide committee of the Privy Council, is tasked with tracking down the fugitives. He'll stop at nothing until the two men are brought to justice. A reward hangs over their heads - for their capture, dead or alive."

It's available in hardback and kindle. I am happy to purchase a hardback copy to pass on (logistics to be determined!).

What does everyone think?

This is my suggestion...it fails one of the suggested criteria in that it is over 400 pages long and probably a selfish choice - it is a book I have had on my "to read" list since it was released and think it could be an interesting choice. I appreciate that historical fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea.

View attachment 66944

It is the latest release from Robert Harris who is probably better known for WW2 fiction and was well received on release.

"1660. Colonel Edward Whalley and his son-in-law, Colonel William Goffe, cross the Atlantic. They are on the run and wanted for the murder of Charles I. Under the provisions of the Act of Oblivion, they have been found guilty in absentia of high treason.

In London, Richard Nayler, secretary of the regicide committee of the Privy Council, is tasked with tracking down the fugitives. He'll stop at nothing until the two men are brought to justice. A reward hangs over their heads - for their capture, dead or alive."

It's available in hardback and kindle. I am happy to purchase a hardback copy to pass on (logistics to be determined!).

I'm reading that at this moment.

View attachment 66944

Funny you should mention that: The Second Sleep by the same author that you recommended last year is on my read list for this year. I read Archangel last year (my first Harris book) and thoroughly enjoyed it so I suspect that I'd probably enjoy this as well.

I was thinking of giving it a week or so to see if anybody else nominates anything, but let's say that Act of Oblivion is currently on a shortlist of one and see if anybody wants to add to it, or second it.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add that I'd be more than happy to read Act of Oblivion.

Last edited:
For this year I think I might try and catch up a little with old friends by concentrating on some of the many series I have ongoing. Maybe even finish a few if possible or at least bring some up to date. It won't be my only reading though as I'll still be picking off the odd stand-alone book from my tbr shelves or get distracted by the shiny & new.

Lamentation by C. J. Sansom
0330511041.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sixth book in the Shardlake series of historical mysteries. Everybody’s favourite hunch-backed lawyer once again finds himself embroiled in court intrigue when Catherine Parr asks him to find a book she’d rather not see the light of day. Stolen from a locked box to which only she has a key and the title page having been found clutched in the hand of a murdered printer Shardlake is tasked with finding the book and why it’s not yet seen the light of day. For if it does she would most likely follow the path of Henry’s previous wives and supporters of the Protestant faith that currently hold sway would be discredited at a time crucial to the future of the kingdom as the king draws near death.

The fictitious mystery is cleverly woven in with actual events of the time being set in the time of Anne Askew’s burning and includes mostly real people. Weighing in at over 700 pages this is another brick but there is hardly any let up in the suspense as the mystery unfolds. Although I’d guessed part of the ending I didn’t quite get to all of it. Another quality entry into a very good series. One more book to go! 4★'s

The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross
0356502384.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

After surviving his first couple of adventures as a Laundry Files field agent, Bob Howard has been promoted to SSO and has been tasked with attending a joint-liaison meeting in Germany with other EU agencies which perform similar tasks to his own organisation. Things quickly head sideways though when after arriving at his hotel he meets Ramona, an American assassin who also happens to be a succubus who works for the Black Chamber, and they’re supposed to be working together. Firstly to disrupt what’s about to go down and then to stop an evil genius who is about to raise something from the sea floor which shouldn’t be seeing the light of day. If this was the mission all along then why wasn’t he briefed?

James Bond meets H. P. Lovecraft with a dollop of geekdom thrown in for good measure make this an enjoyable continuation of this urban fantasy series. Bob & Ramona are great characters who play off each other really well and when you add Mo to the mix it really ramps up the ante. The villain is suitably Bondian through necessity as it’s all plot-driven and the author really exploits all the foibles you usually find in that franchise.

As with the first book there is also a short story with Bob back in the office with HR on his back. This time around he gets lumbered with an intern who does exactly what Bob tells him not to do and ends up trapped in an MMORPG. Unfortunately for Bob this particular intern got the position through nepotism and if he wants to avoid some nasty repercussions then he’s going to have to rescue him.

The way the series has started it could be a rival to the Dresden books for my favourite of the genre. 4★'s
Bloody love Shardlake. Started reading the books years back but I don't think I did them in order (just snatched them off the library shelves), so I've no idea what I've read and what I haven't now. :-(

Really need to get that in order and start again.

I hope nobody minds me mentioning that I wrote a book :-)

"Tales from Russet Grange" - Fictional stories from a fictional golf club. Very laddish, very silly, but I do know a bit about golf clubs. It's an easy read, ideally when sat on the bog.

Pre-production edition of just 36 copies sold out to friends and family, big edit for the first edition starting in April, with a view to publishing in June or July.

www.russetgrange.co.uk

Last edited:
I hope nobody minds me mentioning that I wrote a book :-)

"Tales from Russet Grange" - Fictional stories from a fictional golf club. Very laddish, very silly, but I do know a bit about golf clubs. It's an easy read, ideally when sat on the bog.

Pre-production edition of just 36 copies sold out to friends and family, big edit for the first edition starting in April, with a view to publishing in June or July.

www.russetgrange.co.uk
Good luck. I published a trilogy via Amazon. Really enjoyed writing and editing, which was a good job because I didn’t sell too many!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.