Real Madrid (A) | Post Match Thread

Means Vini has zero defensive responsibility too. They’ll try and soak everything up with the two defensive wide men and sucker punch us - makes sense for them to play like this really especially after Rudiger playing Haaland well.

Pep needs to roll the dice and play one of foden/mahrez on the right to give Alaba something to really think about.

Going to be a very intriguing tactical battle - just hope we can manage to get haaland in the game a little bit more.
It's easy to play someone well when that is all you have to do all game - I imagine we'll target the space in and around Rudiger - he's not the brightest and will panic into mistakes. He hasn't gone from being one of the worst defenders I've seen (the 6 - 0) to this colossal defensive genius the meedja and pundits want us to believe. He's still a liability in my book and delighted if he plays. Haaland will be thinking about turning the tables on him all the time between the matches too.

Should've have a better performance, but 1-1 away is great all things considered. Gundo needs a rest, Bernardo wasn't the attacking threat we needed him to be, and neither was Grealish aside the start. No subs was also surprising, but I guess Pep wanted to manage the game and see it out.

Potentially taking Vinicius away from Walker and playing him central where he scored from, with both brutes up against Haaland (Rudiger and Militao) and Alaba at left back.

We will hammer them from the first minute and hope they crumble, if we score early doors we are well on our way, if not they will come into the game and it will be a test of who keeps their nerve and who makes the least errors.

Going to be a tense night for all.

It's easy to play someone well when that is all you have to do all game - I imagine we'll target the space in and around Rudiger - he's not the brightest and will panic into mistakes. He hasn't gone from being one of the worst defenders I've seen (the 6 - 0) to this colossal defensive genius the meedja and pundits want us to believe. He's still a liability in my book and delighted if he plays. Haaland will be thinking about turning the tables on him all the time between the matches too.

Agreed - the issue was Haaland got a little bit too embroiled in the physical battle and I’m sure he’ll be a lot smarter next week.

Rudiger has only ever had success playing in a back 3 because he’s absolutely garbage at anything other than what you just mentioned - hence why he’s not first choice at Madrid.

I’d love to see a front three of Grealish - haaland - foden but I’m not sure pep will due to fodens stop start season. Wouldn’t surprise me if we went unchanged with maybe Ake coming in if fit.

We will hammer them from the first minute and hope they crumble, if we score early doors we are well on our way, if not they will come into the game and it will be a test of who keeps their nerve and who makes the least errors.

Going to be a tense night for all.

Agreed, next week will go one of two ways - it will either be over at half time with us up 3 - 0, or it's going to be tight until the 90th. I don't believe Madrid will be looking to put it on us and will just be looking for a 1-0 win.

Agreed, next week will go one of two ways - it will either be over at half time with us up 3 - 0, or it's going to be tight until the 90th. I don't believe Madrid will be looking to put it on us and will just be looking for a 1-0 win.
Their performances in this competition over the years are incredible, never, ever write these twats off, they don't know when they are beaten.

Nerves will be a huge factor like it or not, it must be in the minds of our players how we messed up last season, that can be used as a positive but it also could put doubt in some.

Steel balls needed and particularly by the fans in the stadium, we could well fall behind at some stage and that's when the players will need us more than ever.

Agreed - the issue was Haaland got a little bit too embroiled in the physical battle and I’m sure he’ll be a lot smarter next week.

Rudiger has only ever had success playing in a back 3 because he’s absolutely garbage at anything other than what you just mentioned - hence why he’s not first choice at Madrid.

I’d love to see a front three of Grealish - haaland - foden but I’m not sure pep will due to fodens stop start season. Wouldn’t surprise me if we went unchanged with maybe Ake coming in if fit.

The key next time is for Haaland to walk his marker in to midfield like Kane does against us.

Then we can have runners going behind them.

People are overplaying Rudiger's night.

Haaland could have had a hat-trick and scored twice in the opening 20 minutes.

Only a last-ditch block from Alaba prevented a certain goal in the second half.

Chances are premium at this level.

Madrid can defend against three Haaland's if they only have to go man-for-man on the edge of the 18-yard area.

When we did get behind, Bernie sent Kev clear and Courtois saved well with his angles.

At some stage you need a player who is going to entice a tackle because they can commit someone, whether it be Phil or Mahrez.

Their performances in this competition over the years are incredible, never, ever write these twats off, they don't know when they are beaten.

Nerves will be a huge factor like it or not, it must be in the minds of our players how we messed up last season, that can be used as a positive but it also could put doubt in some.

Steel balls needed and particularly by the fans in the stadium, we could well fall behind at some stage and that's when the players will need us more than ever.

One thing our players can take away from the other night is that we crumbled when Madrid scored last year. That goal went in from Vinicius on Tuesday could have created panic that Madrid would get another. They had a good spell, City weathered it and then got back into the game with the goal.

City played really well in the first leg last year and carried a goal threat all the time. I don’t know if Pep will go for Foden this time rather than Grealish as a starter. He would give their full backs a torrid time where Grealish offers more control.

The key next time is for Haaland to walk his marker in to midfield like Kane does against us.

Then we can have runners going behind them.

People are overplaying Rudiger's night.

Haaland could have had a hat-trick and scored twice in the opening 20 minutes.

Only a last-ditch block from Alaba prevented a certain goal in the second half.

Chances are premium at this level.

Madrid can defend against three Haaland's if they only have to go man-for-man on the edge of the 18-yard area.

When we did get behind, Bernie sent Kev clear and Courtois saved well with his angles.

At some stage you need a player who is going to entice a tackle because they can commit someone, whether it be Phil or Mahrez.

Haaland did that extremely effectively against Arsenal but Madrid are a lot more street wise and I can’t see them getting sucked out - hence the two defensive wide men. Little bit like how beckham and Giggs used to play when that lot were a compact 4-4-2. Early goal would be massive for us in this regard but those twats never panic do they.

Getting in behind is definitely key - but one of Gundo/Bernie would have to be sacrificed for foden or mahrez - can you see pep doing that? He loves having both of them on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.