Real Madrid CL Q/F 1st leg (A) | Man of the Match

Man of the Match

• Total voters
I thought we were largely awful, yes it's not an easy place to play at, and I should be happy with the result, but we can't go there and play with 7 or 8 players.

If they had been able to shoot we'd have been 4 or 5-1 down before Foden scored.

For me between Akanji and Gvardiol, I thought Akanji was consistent all game.

A few very poor performances from City for me.
Awful is a tad unkind, but yes, we seemed to play with 9 on occasion tonight....I won't name anyone Norwegian or Spanish in particular, but I'd hope people are realistic enough to know who. As for the overall performance, not complaining at all, we'll have them at The Etihad, no worries.

Grealish just over Gvardiol for me. After that Stones

Surprised to see so many voted for Bernie and Phil, both scored but were fairly below par overall imo. I'll have to rewatch

In honor of @Eccles Blue, and because it was true, I went for Stones.

Did a strong job defensively, probably saving a goal from Bellingham, but was brilliant at helping create midfield overloads and linking up play. As the game went on at 2-1, he got himself further and further forward, yet was still doing the recovery work.

No, he didn’t score any worldies, but he was the lube and the glue at the same time and put in a very strong performance.

Now, I can only hope he isn’t injured, because he spent a portion of that second half laboring, especially after a saving tackle he made in our box.

Shout outs to:

Ortega - always well positioned for their shots and strong work on punching crosses and most of his footwork.

Gvardiol - while he sometimes looks a little clumsy, he always seems to get the ball under control and use it. His goal was well-deserved and has been coming all season. He got a bit lucky (think Rooney shinner!) as the ball ran away from him, but bobbled up so he caught it sweet as a nut.

Grealish - looked up for the battle with Carvahal and made some strong moves with the ball. Sadly, he’s still not getting the surprise shot away and is telegraphing it, which means they usually get blocked. I’m not a huge fan of the impact he normally has for such a key player, but much improved tonight.

Bernardo - the goal is cheeky as fuck, and a stroke of genius. Did an enormous amount of running and was excellent at keeping the ball, especially in their half, away from our goal, helping relieve pressure.

Foden - struggled to impose himself in a clogged midfield and wasn’t protecting the ball as needed when he wanted to let it run across his body for the burst forward. Notably, it wasn’t that kind of action that actually sprung him for the goal, but simply driving inside (like Rodrygo & Vinicius for them) and taking on the shot…this time not hitting it centrally straight to the keeper. It might be a bit premature to say, but that shot (left foot curler into the top corner from the edge of the box) is starting to look like his trademark. Long may it continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.