Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

Thank fuck away goals don’t count, I see a similar game next week but hopefully a better defensive showing, attack wise we will score as Madrid aren’t that good, the result flattered them and Chelsea ripped them apart only the other week, their luck will run out and will end up in the final.

I feel like we should have done better. Communication lacking probably. But it was a good goal. Their first was annoying because we should have been 3-0 up and it was a half chance at best. Their third, similarly was frustrating. 2 goals up again, comfortably in possession and should have just knocked it about to see out the game but Mahrez plays an awful ball across the pitch which gets them a chance and then, although we get it clear, Foden commits the foul rather than maybe hoofing it clear. But it all came from yet more sloppiness in possession.

We need to be more confident with the ball out from the back in Madrid. Be happy to keep the ball and keep moving them about. But overall, we were dominant and should be confident we can get the job done in Madrid. It's a 1-0 advantage and we have plenty of nous and character to get the job done. It will be no more difficult than the Atletico away leg. Walker covering Vini will help hugely if he's available.
We can always do better mate, but in the heat of battle, decisions have to be made in a split second, albeit we fans have the benefit of replays & hindsight.

Yes we missed some sitters & it's arguable that certain passes should have been made & shots better placed. We also have to give credit to Real too, because they're no mugs.

We're at halftime & have a crucial match against Leeds on Saturday when they only need a point to win La Liga. We need to focus our attention on that & then rest & prepare as best for the return leg.

Next week is finely poised. We're a goal up, but they're at home. They're dangerous but so are we. It's down to the lads. All we can do is yell our lungs out in support.

Apparently Aguero was on a watchalong with Mario last night. Here's the reaction to the Foden goal:

Confused...given we are a plastic club who have only ever employed mercenaries who don't give a shit about anything but the cash, what the fuck is he doing getting excited about Phil? It's almost as if he harbours great affection towards the club. Thinking about it, it's a bit like that Zabba fella and that belgian bloke too amongst others. All very strange really.

Last edited:
Remember yesterday when you were berating me for saying we should put away this Real Madrid side pretty easily?

I still disagree with your view of Real.

For you, the fact that Real conceded many chances last night confirmed that they are a shit Real side.

For me, the fact we created many chances showed (again) that we have an exceptional team, not that Real are shit.

We created many chances vs Liverpool at the Etihad, especially in the 1st half. Nobody thinks that Liverpool are shit because they conceded many chances and could have been 3 goals down after the 1st half.

Real were *shit* when they couldn't reach the last 8 in the CL for years (before C. Ronaldo). Last 2 seasons they reached the last 4 in the CL, eliminating in the process Liverpool, Chelsea and PSG. They are not at the level of C. Ronaldo's Real, obviously, but they are still a good Real team (for me and many others). They struggled last night because they played against an exceptional team. And still managed to score 3, having scored 3 at Stamford Bridge before that. How many teams in the world could score 3 at Chelsea and 3 at City in knock-out CL games? Real have problems in defence, which they sort of compensate with brilliant forwards.

Foden tried a trick which led to the free kick for the third, we had a chance to break but he showboated.

Spot on mate. He didn't have anywhere to go but should have just hoofed it clear. Mahrez was initially at fault. Game management was really poor in general. This City side really stepped up last season, and the win against Atletico was evidence we can see games through regardless of what is thrown at us. But last night we didn't kill them off despite two really good chances to make it 3-0. And each time we got the two goal lead restored we failed to slow the game down and keep the ball and control things. At 3-1 it was Ferny trying to copy what he'd just done for the third goal by rushing in to steal the ball from Vinicius. At 4-2 it was Mahrez looking to switch play rather than just pass it around and that left us stretched and they went down the other end and we were against the ropes. Foden was ultimately at fault but in general it was us being sloppy in possession.

That's exactly what Real do though, punish teams for their errors. They did it at Stamford Bridge and then at the Bernabeu against PSG. Ultimately, we still won the game knowing that although we scored 4 we left goals out there and were poor in conceding three. I don't think they could have done much about ours with the personnel they have. So we should remain confident going into the second leg. Watch Ederson's distribution over the first half hour or so and some of the poor passing choices made at the back and it's the worst City have played in terms of that element of our game in a long time...well since the FA Cup semi with different personnel. Get that anywhere like it's usual levels in the Bernabeu and we should be looking at a similar scoreline to Chelsea with a 3-1 win or more.

It's a case of shudda, cudda, wudda mate. Ultimately there were 2 players bearing down on the penalty area who Laporte & Zin were rightly covering.

If Laporte had gone across & Vini had crossed to Benzema & the other Real player instead of shooting, I'm pretty sure Laporte would have been crucified if we'd conceded from that situation for not holding his position.

Sometime's you've just gotta hold your hands up & admit Vinicius's goal was sheer brilliance from meggin Fern, the speed & control shown & the finish past Ederson.
Not really rocket science. Fern at left back gets done and the lad runs away. Wouldn't have happened with Walker on the pitch.

Well he’s not a striker for a start.

I can’t think of any top player with a good record that would have shanked that into the side netting instead of giving Foden an open goal and putting the tie to bed
so any of Liverpool's front three could have done that , it is a fallacy that they score every opportunity

For me, the fact we created many chances showed (again) that we have an exceptional team, not that Real are shit.

We created more chances against Real than we did against Peterborough.

They are a bad side with 2 good players and have lucked past PSG and Chelsea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.