Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

Best comment from Hoddle was that Fernandinho had now been freed up from his midfield holding role when Stones went off. Bizarre considering one replaced the other

Yes, most attacking players first thought is to take the shot on, if they score nobody bothers, if they don't then people say what they should have done and in hindsight the pass was probably the better option. The thing that gets me is fans reactions to it are different depending on the player involved. If it was the other way around Foden wouldn't get half the criticism Mahrez does.
I honestly don't understand the grief Mahrez is getting for his performance. If you look carefully, there were players between Mahrez & Foden.

If he'd have passed & it was cut out, the same people would be screaming why didn't he take the shot. Shit happens... Eeez futbol... )(

Its a tough one & yes as a football purist you have to admire the skill of Vinicius as well as naivety of Fernie in trying to win the ball knowing you've got no protection behind you as cover.

I personally think Laporte should have known better, as whilst I agree he was acutely aware of Benzema & further back Rodrygo making runs into the box as a central defender you need to deal with the immediate danger which was indeed Vinicius having a clear path to goal about to shoot. Benzema & Rodrygo were lesser priorities in this particular situation where Zin could deal with one of them and then if the balls ends up with Rodrygo there's a possibility of backup arriving by the time he gets a shot off.

In the end both Laporte & Zin end up tracking Benzema instead of one of each. I really think we need to get Walker back by hook or crook next week. Its the business end of the season & who knows when we'll next get an opportunity to get to another Champions League final - you can't take these things for granted in life & as we've see in the past this competition is more times than often about fine margins & luck rather than simply the best team playing the best football.

Its no coincidence, without out natural wing backs we were de-stabilised as a defending unit & conceded 3 goals last night. Our main strength is controlling the game but we were hesitant in defending as we weren't confident at the back. Furthermore, Walker allows us to express our passing more naturally as we know we have a release valve if the passes go astray in him hoovering them up or matching up pace wise with balls in behind us. We looked pretty nervous passing out especially from the right side knowing we didn't have that cover.

On a positive note, I thought Zin was outstanding last night. Not only did he execute his defending duties well, but was fantastic going forward & offered a lot up front & on the wing. I do like Cancelo's creativity but I have doubts on his defending abilities & I'm not sure he will fare too well against either Rodrygo or Vinicius unless Pep instructs to give him some help in defensive situations.
You are bang on there even pub defenders don't let a player run free into the box and have a shot. The excuse that he may have passed it to another player to have a shot is laughable. As soon as he sees that player clear and dinho Dias and rodri behind he must make a diagonal run and let Zinchenko pick up his player. You should also question why both Dias and rodri were so high when a 36 Yr old is marking a rapid player. Having only laporte and zinc deep enough is amateur hour. One clever movement by a single player on the touch line near the halfway line shouldn't leave any team that exposed.

You are bang on there even pub defenders don't let a player run free into the box and have a shot. The excuse that he may have passed it to another player to have a shot is laughable. As soon as he sees that player clear and dinho Dias and rodri behind he must make a diagonal run and let Zinchenko pick up his player. You should also question why both Dias and rodri were so high when a 36 Yr old is marking a rapid player. Having only laporte and zinc deep enough is amateur hour. One clever movement by a single player on the touch line near the halfway line shouldn't leave any team that exposed.
It reminded me of the chelsea cup semi goal last year.

Well he’s not a striker for a start.

I can’t think of any top player with a good record that would have shanked that into the side netting instead of giving Foden an open goal and putting the tie to bed

The pass would take as much skill to execute as the finish. You can't presume that if he failed in one he would have been successful in the other. The defender was between the 2 so he would have had to pick a perfectly weighted pass between the defender and the keeper. At the end of the day we scored 4 goals in a CL semi. The fact that gives us only a slender lead away in Madrid is down to defensive deficiencies.

Madrids 2nd goal was initally Ferna for being to clever, then Laporte for not getting back and finally Ederson should have done better.
The 3rd goal stemmed from Mahrez's atrocious pass which led to the free kick that caused the pen and then Laporte's handball.
Laporte for me panics in some of the important CL games and Mahrez had a frustrating evening.
FFS Nearly every goal starts from a mistake somewhere along the way.Do you think every goal of ours were perfect.Look at Silvas goal ,Real Madrid stopped because they though the Ref was going to blow for a free kick .Probably the only good goal was Benzemas penalty but even that came from an error .
We should look more at the positives and there were many than try to look for someone to blame all the time .
Not just aimed at you but all of us .

Madrids 2nd goal was initally Ferna for being to clever, then Laporte for not getting back and finally Ederson should have done better.
The 3rd goal stemmed from Mahrez's atrocious pass which led to the free kick that caused the pen and then Laporte's handball.
Laporte for me panics in some of the important CL games and Mahrez had a frustrating evening.
Foden tried a trick which led to the free kick for the third, we had a chance to break but he showboated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.