Real Madrid post match post mortem

Still gutted and can’t stop thinking about it.

Put no blame on anyone, it’s the missed opportunity with these players and this manager to get another one under our belt that’s eating at me.

We’re so much better than this Real and the remaining teams in the competition. Just how did that happen, two heavy deflections in the first leg and nothing yesterday bar their scrappy goal. Fuck sake.

Put no blame on anyone, it’s the missed opportunity with these players and this manager to get another one under our belt that’s eating at me.

We’re so much better than this Real and the remaining teams in the competition. Just how did that happen, two heavy deflections in the first leg and nothing yesterday bar their scrappy goal. Fuck sake.
It’s the nature of football, especially knockout tournaments: sometimes the better team doesn’t win.

We were arguably the best team in both legs, but a combination of bad luck, not capitalising on good chances, some poor refereeing, and shitehousing tactics saw us crash out by the slimmest margins.

Play, learn, improve, repeat.

Well it happened because it’s football. You could also say it turned on 2 kicks of the ball. Once Ederson had saved from Modric,a good pen from Bernardo makes it 2-0 and big advantage to us. Instead he hits a dreadful pen, they score and momentum has switched right round.
Many years ago I used to get angry at things going against us and at times was a right moaner but that was part inspired of knowing City belonged much higher up and jealousy of rags and other fans living it up.
But now I am much more philosophical- was gutted at the final whistle but the lads and crowd tried their hardest and what brings perspective is we are at the top table and every single team (inc Real) are shit scared of us. We can’t win the treble or CL every year.
Thought the team started slowly and built momentum and some of the play from the back through the middle was lovely. We were just a bit off in the final third and were made to pay plus some bad luck. In retrospect, Bernardo perhaps should have been RW from the start as we were better with him there. But well played City - yes just think of what an incredible ride. So close to 4 consecutive CL semis -

Although we are definitely a level below last season, last nights game was almost a perfect performance in that we nullified the Madrid attack to a couple of attempts including their goal but unfortunately failed to take what few chances we created.

It’s a pity that Rodri and Foden are both suffering a slight drop in form plus De Bruyne , although still more than capable of providing moments of genius, is not quite the player he was.

Individually I thought all the defenders played well last night but we struggle to keep a clean sheet…is this linked to the midfield and a lack of protection ?

A potential FA Cup final and a chance of winning the Premiership is hardly a disaster, however we definitely need freshening up….especially offensively plus a Rodri stand in.

The cliche about fine margins can certainly be applied to last night and for all the disappointment (and of little consolation) no other team in the Premiership would have come close to matching our performance last night.

We are ranked 6th in the PL for goals from set pieces, Arsenal in first place have almost twice as many set piece goals. IMO we should be considering an upgrade? We should have the best coaches you can get. We had 18 corners last night and should have done much better with them.

As regards penalties we need thorough preparation and attention to detail. Generally we should be putting them out of the normal reach of a keeper. The penalties from Bernardo and Kovacic were poor, particularly when you factor in players from RM were familiar with previous penalties from those players. Our practice for a potential penalty shootout clearly appeared inadequate. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, sadly.
i Ask again how do you know what the preparation is

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.