Ref Watch

What about Partey‘s wrestling move any rules in there saying that wasn’t another yellow card, it’s bollocks, Oliver bottles all the big decisions
No he only bottles them one way. If he bottled all decisions I might disagree with him but at least it would be fair. Jesus and Rodri at other end he'd have given it straight away. Rodri commits a hold when on a yellow, sorry its a second and your off.

Last edited:
Just watched it again on City+, the commentary for the penalty is as follows, from 8:12:
" Ramsdale's spilt it, De Bruyne's brought down, penalty!.. no, what's Michael Oliver given? What's he given Michael Oliver?... Well it looked like a foul on De Bruyne, what's he given Michael Oliver?...He's given a free kick to Arsenal and not a penalty to City. Well I am not sure what he thinks has just happened there? Andy?... It's looks as though he's insinuating De Bruyne has... stepped across..., yeh... I can see Partey has just got his foot in there, and De Bruyne's has...yes I can see why, but initially, yeh, I can see it's the right decision, and in fact it's a very, very good decision because you can see the initial thought is penalty, and I think everyone of us thought it was, but, looking at it, he's correct...Well in reality what happened was De Bruyne went to hit the ball into the back of the net, after Ramsdale's spilt it, Partey came in to stop De Bruyne, De Bruyne's took a swing to where he thought the ball was and kicked Partey, and the two of them then fell over. So it is one of those where Michael Oliver has the gut instinct that it was the attacker that caused the collision, rather than the defensive midfielder, and it's the reason Andy felt it wasn't a penalty, "

I still think Oliver was very biased to Arsenal, but unfortunately I have to agree with the City commentary on the early penalty.
The City+ commentary also said Johnny, Johnny Stones was definitely offside and couldn't understand why VAR was taking so long to ascertain Johnny, Johnny Stones was offside because they could see Johnny, Johnny Stones was definitely offside...

No he only bottles them one way. If he bottled all decisions I might disagree with him but at least it would be fair. Jesus and Rodri at other end he'd have given it straight away. Rodri commits a hold when on a yellow, sorry its a second and he's off.

And before anyone says you don't know that this is the ref that gave a penalty against Sterling (when he was at City against Spurs) for handball when Sterling was outside the area and it hit his back.
No, that was Clattenburg

Some people clearly believe all sorts of people are whispering in the refs ear but IF you believe what they say the protocol is, then there’s no discussion between referees and VARs before he makes a live decision.

The VAR doesn’t have a ongoing live communication with the onfiejd officials. He can hear everything they are saying to each other. But needs to press a button to get involved. In a case like this he decided there was no obvious error ( even if he personally thought it was a probably a penalty ) so they’re would have been no communication between the two.
They're not speaking to the ref before the initial decision, but surely there's some communication before the VAR decision or is the on field ref just stood there wondering what's happening like the rest of the people in the stadium?

I think it's mad that our refs are interpreting shielding a ball as only about being within playing distance of the ball. That is lunacy.
Imagine this interpretation leading to all kinds of new desparate lunges from defenders, jumping into or in front of attackers under the banner of "shielding", just because they may or may not be deemed within playing distance of the ball!

Shielding of course is a bona fide way of protecting the ball but please don't try and tell us what partey did can ever be construed as shielding.
It was a desperate lunge into kevs space to prevent him pulling the trigger on a shot.
Clear penalty

It reminds me a bit of the decision on Trippier's challenge on Kev at St James Park.

It was a lunge at his knee and the instant red card got overturned because they seemed to decide along the lines of 'it wasn't violent, he was just trying to do a tactical foul'.

Yes, he tried to do a tactical foul' but caught him studs up on the knee. Pretty clear red.

Now we're hearing 'he was shielding it', but there are fair and unfair ways to do that!

They're not speaking to the ref before the initial decision, but surely there's some communication before the VAR decision or is the on field ref just stood there wondering what's happening like the rest of the people in the stadium?

If the VAR has seen something that he thinks warrants closer inspection, he’ll advise the referee to not restart play until he’s done so. In cases where play is continuing, the VAR will review a decision while the AVAR takes over monitoring live play and if he comes to the decision that the referee needs to check the monitor, he’ll then tell him to stop play. As happened in the Chelsea cup game.

I’m just guessing this , but I’d imagine in those situations where players are surrounding the referee, demanding he checks the monitor, that the VAR will give the referee clarification that he’s not advising a review and he can carry on with the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.