Ref Watch

The 6 second rule used to apply once the goalkeeper was deemed in control of the ball. This would include once he had the ball in his hands to take a goal kick. Now it officially only applies during open play and he has full control of the ball. However, under FIFA interpretations, the ref has been advised that the 6 second rule should only apply once the box is cleared of all outfield players. Also if he is on the ground this does not count until standing and all outfield players have left the box. Furthermore, if an attacking player is within 10 yards it is deemed he is stopping the keeper releasing the ball.
I have read some utter shite in my time but this just might take the award. From the laws of the game just point me to where it can be interpreted as you suggest:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

It is violent, and the option of kicking the ball at someone instead of using yer foot to kick 'em doesn't make it any less violent.I remember Gary Nutter getting a red for deliberately kicking the ball into the crowd. I think it is another example of some players having different rules applied to them compared to others. Let's wait for a player getting dismissed for the same. it'll come before the season ends.

The **** should have been sent off as it was the clearest example of violent conduct brought about by the loss of control - of the ball and his temper.

Taylor fudged it to keep the **** on the pitch.

It is violent, and the option of kicking the ball at someone instead of using yer foot to kick 'em doesn't make it any less violent.I remember Gary Nutter getting a red for deliberately kicking the ball into the crowd. I think it is another example of some players having different rules applied to them compared to others. Let's wait for a player getting dismissed for the same. it'll come before the season ends.
I remember Bert Trautmann being sent off for kicking the ball at the ref. Against West Ham, I think, and we were about 5-1 down at the time. The ref was asked afterwards how he knew it wasn't an accident and he said he knew that when Bert kicked the ball it always went where he intended.

The only way to stop time wasting is to play the basketball way. When the ball is 'dead' the clock is stopped so a keeper can spend as long as he likes and no time is lost.
The problem with that is if teams are getting battered and want a breather, they could get it without penalty. The best way to stop time wasting is for referees to enforce the laws of the game fairly and consistently, not subjectively & inconsistently.

I have read some utter shite in my time but this just might take the award. From the laws of the game just point me to where it can be interpreted as you suggest:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
Not once has that law ever been applied in the PL.

Laws of the game also state players should be sent off for giving the ref abuse, see that happen most weekends do you?

There are lots of laws that are written down and then ignored.

I've said this many times, with the counter argument being that it would make the match much longer. The response to that is simply - WHY?
When players realise it's their own time they're wasting, they'll stop doing it. They've still got to play 90 minutes football, and, as highly paid professional athletes, that shouldn't be too difficult. The main problem (not to City) is that it would highlight the inadequacies of many teams and their management, whose sole objective is to stay on the gravy train that is the Premier League by any means possible. If this means by timewasting, feigning injury (playacting/cheating), roughhouse tactics, etc, then so be it. The cry that they don't make as much as the top teams and have to play that way for their survival, is misleading, as all bar bottom team Sheffield United last season earned over £100m from the PL alone.
A breakout of common sense will never happen, of course, as there are too many vested interests in maintaining the status quo, but that is for another thread.
They'd still do it as well as wasting time the delays break up the flow of the game.

I'm very pro clock but would also then be extra zealous with yellows for delays for all players (similar standard to Eddie's bookings).

The 6 second rule has not been in the laws of the game for at least 15 years yet every Sunday league player will quote it to you. Some even count in your ear whilst the keeper has it. The law, basically says, you have to release the ball in a reasonable time. Whatever that is???

In my opinion Kevin Friend was hopeless yesterday. 2 years ago he gave our society a presentation and during the course of the evening consumed 10-12 pints. This was a Tuesday night and he was reffing at St James Park the next day.
I've done stats covering the seasons from 2009/10 to 2017/18 (which I must update) detailing each of the 'big 6' points per game by ref.

Over that period we averaged 2.09 points per game so you'd expect, all things being equal, to see the PPG for each ref to be around that figure over the long term, given they've officiated at a significant number of games.

Under Friend, we've earned 1.62 PPG, which is the worst of all the main refs. Atkinson is slightly better with 1.7 but all the others are over 2 points per game, so pretty well in line. So under Friend we're nearly 25% worse off than the average. That's not coincidence. Friend is the new Peter Walton.

Not once has that law ever been applied in the PL.

Laws of the game also state players should be sent off for giving the ref abuse, see that happen most weekends do you?

There are lots of laws that are written down and then ignored.

It was. I remember Nicky Weaver getting pinged for it once at Maine Road in around 00/01 when it first came in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.