Ref Watch

Howard Webb takes over from Mike Riley at PGMOL this weekend. That surely must be an improvement.

Ratetheref was full of praise for Messrs Bankes and Coote for their performance on Saturday. However there is in my view a considerable "anti-City" presence on that site and maybe that reflects the refereeing community - who knows?

However that may be, whilst we sung "and our defence is sure" at remembrance services on Sunday that was far from the case on Saturday and it seems almost pointless trying to criticise the referee when City contributed so much towards their own downfall.

He did to me seem to guess quite a number of his decisions which made the decision of the VAR to deny the penalty for handball from Bernado's cross particularly galling - neither the referee nor his assistant were in a position to know whether the handball was outside the area or on the line. So when the images seemed to show, on a balance of probabilities if not quite beyond reasonable doubt, that it was on the line it would have seemed sensible to at least let him have a look for himself on the pitchside monitor.

There was another decision which as far as I can see was a guess and that was the decision to award the free kick that led to Brentford's first goal. As the BBC matchday webpage states "Frank Onyeka (Brentford) wins a free kick in the defensive half." Looking at the head on view it does appear that the play by Onyeka was deliberate act of simulation.

As he breaks with the ball Cancello is chasing conncentrating on the ball and Onyeka looks across at him.
Screenshot at 2022-11-14 15-29-06.png
Next he jumps with both feet off the ground into the path of Cancello.
Screenshot at 2022-11-14 15-36-47.png
He lands just about as Cancello makes contact and his legs immediately start to buckle.
Screenshot at 2022-11-14 17-06-07.png
So in my eyes (*with or without blue tinted glasses), Cancello is rather more victim than culprit - he has been focussed on the ball throughout and has been impeded in his progress by Onyeka.

If we look at the referee's position it seems impossible that he can make a judgement on this challenge.

Screenshot at 2022-11-14 15-24-40.png
His decision seems to be instantaneous and there is no flag from his assistant who is much better placed to judge the challenge (though of course we don't know what was said over the comms system) but the assistant keeps his flag down throughout.

Screenshot at 2022-11-14 15-34-28.png
So it seems like this decision was a guess.

Of course none of this excuses failing to get the first and second ball from the free kick and having a goalkeeper stranded in no man's land - that is entirely down to City.,

Last edited:
That ref from the Holland and Argentina game should be banned, he booked players, coaches even booked someone in the penalty shoot out ! I would be surprised if he booked someone in the crowd

What would you prefer the referee to do about players getting right in the face of opponents waiting to take a penalty in a shootout?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.