Ref Watch

He backed down way too quickly, and seemingly before the referee even spoke to him.

Was the flag just for show?

Did someone whisper something in his ear?

It isn’t a question of backing down. They aren’t equals. The linesman indicates what he thinks a decision should be. He never makes decisions. If a referee decides to go the other way, he’s instructed to immediately back the referee up. He was faultless in the decision. He correctly identified an offside. Correctly delayed his flag. Correctly raised his flag when the ball went in the goal. And then correctly withdrew it and backed up the referee when he was informed the decision was a goal.

How’s the linesman to blame? He correctly calked it offside. He can’t stop the referee ignoring him and giving a goal.
Because he's one of the best and most experienced linesmen in the world. (Howard Webb's words). He didn't exactly make a strong case in favour of his offside flag to Attwell. It was a 15 second conversation, at most. He is more experienced than Attwell, and he should have said why Rashford was interfering. This bit is fact.

Plus, as previously pointed out here, he said something to Fernandes that caused Fernandes to turn away, all smiles. Following their conversation, Fernandes appeared to already know the goal would stand. This was before Attwell discussed it with Cann. This is speculation, but it fits in with what happened.

It isn’t a question of backing down. They aren’t equals. The linesman indicates what he thinks a decision should be. He never makes decisions. If a referee decides to go the other way, he’s instructed to immediately back the referee up. He was faultless in the decision. He correctly identified an offside. Correctly delayed his flag. Correctly raised his flag when the ball went in the goal. And then correctly withdrew it and backed up the referee when he was informed the decision was a goal.
It actually is.

Watch the whole incident back: He's an EXPERIENCED official. He put his flag up. After Atwell allowed the play to develop and the ball ended up in the net, Cann was confronted by Fernandes, they had a brief conversation before Fernandes walked away smiling. This was BEFORE Cann seemingly spoke to Atwell. Had Cann had the courage of his convictions he would have told Fernades for f*ck off and wait for the referee's decision. That is EXACTLY what didn't happen.

Was VAR involved? Wasn't VAR involved?

How can Attwell have given the goal without asking VAR if Rashford made any contact with the ball?
It doesn't make any sense.
Surely VAR played SOME part in the decision-making process?

Or did he just take the players' opinions as definitive?

Rags - "He never touched it, honest guv!"
Attwell - "Cool, I'll take your word for it, it's a goal then"

All these after-the-event "VAR protocol explanations" and "subjective law application reasonings" are just a load of bullshit in order to blow a load of smoke around to cover up the nonsense biased/corrupt decision that they chose to give.

Still fucking furious 3 days later.
And there’s me thinking var checked every goal, how silly of me.

Several years ago shortly after Clattenberg had retired as a PL ref he was back up in his native North East flashing off a £20k plus watch to all and sundry. A friend of mine asked him how he got it and he said Sir Alex Fergusson gave it to him. Why would he be the recipient of such a watch. The mind boggles.
I still don’t understand how a young , high profile ref at peak of his career suddenly vanish in thin air and ends up middle east.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.